PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good OTA HD antenna

mitch
10-28-2005, 06:32 PM
You guys have any recommendations? I have a crappy indoor one that sorta works, but looking for something somewhat discreet I can mount outside. Thanks!

Cosmo
10-29-2005, 05:03 PM
Mitch,

I've tried a bunch of indoor ones without much success. If you find something, do me a favor and post what you got to work!

Cosmo

Cloaked
10-29-2005, 11:35 PM
"Discrete" is a limitation for the one I have for a suggestion.

Farmer Ted
10-29-2005, 11:50 PM
My dad has an RCA that looks like rabbit ears, it may plug in but it was hard to believe the reception that thing got. Awesome!

mitch
10-30-2005, 09:05 AM
Mitch,

I've tried a bunch of indoor ones without much success. If you find something, do me a favor and post what you got to work!

Cosmo

Leaning toward this one:

http://www.smarthome.com/7744hs.html

I can get it thru Amazon for $100 w/ free shipping. Love Amazon, they are the best!!! I'll prolly mount it next to my dish, facing the other way. HD Towers are 30 miles away. I would go w/ Direct TV for HD but they could not see the correct Sat needed for HD ;( I've had some success w/ set top models, but something like this, if it works would be more predictable and consistant. Farmer, How close are the towers your dad uses? Sporty, Do you use of the big metal ones? They work well, but tough on the eyes....Thanks guys. I'll follow up on what I decide on and posts some pics. Here is a great site that helps w/ what you chans you can expect from where you are, and what direction the signal is coming from ( antennaweb.org ) Cya, gotta winterize the MC today, it frieking snowed yesterday. Skied last Sat, but the party's over. sigh.....

Cloaked
10-30-2005, 09:31 AM
Here's the straight skinny. Take it for what it's worth to your preference in reception quality and neighborhood aesthetics.... It may look different than the streamlined look you guys are wanting but each to their own.

http://salestores.com/stores/xq/xfm/shopper_id.969510291929579695/store_id.747/page_id.15/qx/store.htm

The reason I suggest this component, the Channel Master 4228 is, that all of the broadcast OTA digital stations in most of the USA broadcast only on UHF (only a few stations around the country are broadcasting their digital signal on VHF) thus no need for VHF functionality.

The 4228 is the best UHF antenna made. Coupled it with a CM7775 UHF amplifier, and you have a rig that should pull in stations really far away (90 miles is very very very far away for UHF).

Remember this about antennas - higher is better, bigger is better, outdoors is better than indoors.

For FM radio preferences (via VHF), FM signals falls between channels 6 and 7 (in the VHF band), so one may need some fishbone looking antenna (shown below) that will pull in FM signals. If you use an UHF only (channel 13 and above) antenna, you would not get FM reception.

If you have DirecTV, you would not need FM capable antenna, as DTV is adding XM satellite radio to their line-up in 2 weeks.

As for the HD DTV, you'll need the triple LNB setup to tweak both of Dave's birds on azmuth and skew. No big deal though...

Below is a UHF / VHF / Satellite (for reference). I use the CM 4228 and the triple-LNB Dave Dish (DTV)...

The other stuff is for girlZ... :uglyhamme

mitch
11-07-2005, 10:56 AM
Mitch,

Cosmo

Cosmo, VERY impressed w/ this one. Just put it up this morning, and it's far and away the best one I've tried. 108 bucks delivered. I mounted it, eyeballed the direction, hit scan on the Motorola HIT100 box and got abc, nbc, cbs, fox, several PBS chans, and a few independents I've never heard of perfectly... 86% +/-. I'm pretty sure I can do better w/ a little work. UPN is there but a little flaky, and WB will take a little tweaking. Those chans are for the kids anyhoo, and they Tivo everything on DirectTV, so I got what I want :) Just in time for the Pats/Indy game tonight!! BTW these HD towers are approx 30 miles from my house.

All and all for 1/2 hours work, I'm impressed w/ this antenna. Remember awww.antennaweb.org is key

Go Pats!

mitch
01-19-2007, 01:11 PM
Leaning toward this one:

http://www.smarthome.com/7744hs.html

I can get it thru Amazon for $100 w/ free shipping. Love Amazon, they are the best!!! I'll prolly mount it next to my dish, facing the other way. HD Towers are 30 miles away. I would go w/ Direct TV for HD but they could not see the correct Sat needed for HD ;( I've had some success w/ set top models, but something like this, if it works would be more predictable and consistant. Farmer, How close are the towers your dad uses? Sporty, Do you use of the big metal ones? They work well, but tough on the eyes....Thanks guys. I'll follow up on what I decide on and posts some pics. Here is a great site that helps w/ what you chans you can expect from where you are, and what direction the signal is coming from ( antennaweb.org ) Cya, gotta winterize the MC today, it frieking snowed yesterday. Skied last Sat, but the party's over. sigh.....

Can not say enough good things about this antenna. Just installed a second one yesterday and it's bulletproof, 112 bucks w/ 2-day air, from etronics.com. Good company to deal with......