PDA

View Full Version : Wakeboard schools

Astepatatime
01-02-2014, 11:04 PM
My son and I are thinking about attending a wakeboard school during his spring break this year We'd like to learn some fundamentals and improve before summer gets here. We are both beginners, with basically one season under our belts. He's 13 and just really getting started - needs to get comfortable with the wake and learn some good fundamentals. I look at this as getting him ready to have a lot of fun through his teenage years. For me, I'm 50 - not looking to do inverts or big tricks, but want to go W2W (got about 75% there last year) and learn enough so I can teach all the friends that come on the boat and want to learn.

We're looking at The Boarding School in Florida. Good reviews on here and they have an all inclusive package - lessons, lodging, food. Not exactly inexpensive though. There are some other schools I've seen - AFWake in North Carolina and Billy Garcia's school in Austin TX. I like what I read about AF Wake, but Lake Gaston in March...hmm. Brrr. Austin is good because we have family in San Antonio and could do a combo visit.

So with all that preamble - for those of you who've gone to a wakeboard school - was it worth it? Did you really improve? What could we expect from a week long lesson session?

Plus any feedback on schools would be appreciated.

mikeg205
01-02-2014, 11:39 PM
If I had the coin to do it I would... you learn a lot and you lose or don't start down the path of bad habits. If you're going to just be a recreational boarder than maybe a few lessons in the course of the season.

I have had lessons at Liquid Edge in Illinois and Pine Lake Ski School - so far I have had great experiences... and I read great experiences the boarding school and Coble.

atihanyi
01-03-2014, 12:08 AM
If it was later in the season I'd say give Doug at the liquid edge in Farmer city Illinois a call / That being said check out their website . I was down there last year in august and Parks Bonifay was there as a guest coach as was Will Christen . Doug bought a second lake last summer and When Will was there you were able to book private lessons with her for half day increments

76S&S
01-03-2014, 09:37 AM
Where are you in the SE? There are some local guys in AL that are really good instructors.

tmacx2
01-03-2014, 03:03 PM
Do it! Last year my son and I went to the wakeboard camp near Orlando. We had been wakeboarding for 3 years and mostly self taught. What a difference 5 days of instruction will do. My riding improved 100%. We had a total of 3 instructors and they were all great and we learned from each of them. Learned to go w2w, though I didn't get consistent until I got home and practiced more (I'm 53). By the end of the season I was doing w2w 180's and we didn't even go out at all from mid July to mid August because the weather was so terrible. Also learned how to ride cuffed, blind and did a lot of switch riding while there. Even though we had a good experience we decided we're going to change it up this year and go to the boarding school, probably in May. No matter where you choose to go you'll both benefit from it. We're really looking forward to getting more instruction and I think I'm just dumb enough to try an invert.

Astepatatime
01-04-2014, 02:24 PM
Do it! Last year my son and I went to the wakeboard camp near Orlando. We had been wakeboarding for 3 years and mostly self taught. What a difference 5 days of instruction will do. My riding improved 100%. We had a total of 3 instructors and they were all great and we learned from each of them. Learned to go w2w, though I didn't get consistent until I got home and practiced more (I'm 53). By the end of the season I was doing w2w 180's and we didn't even go out at all from mid July to mid August because the weather was so terrible. Also learned how to ride cuffed, blind and did a lot of switch riding while there. Even though we had a good experience we decided we're going to change it up this year and go to the boarding school, probably in May. No matter where you choose to go you'll both benefit from it. We're really looking forward to getting more instruction and I think I'm just dumb enough to try an invert.

Thanks Tmac - very helpful. So would you recommend TWC? Why are you switching up to TBS - just a change of pace?

Also, anything else about TWC that you can share - facilities, food, vibe (especially for us older guys?).

Thanks in advance!

mikeg205
01-04-2014, 02:58 PM
If it was later in the season I'd say give Doug at the liquid edge in Farmer city Illinois a call / That being said check out their website . I was down there last year in august and Parks Bonifay was there as a guest coach as was Will Christen . Doug bought a second lake last summer and When Will was there you were able to book private lessons with her for half day increments

Where did he get his other lake?

tmacx2
01-04-2014, 07:21 PM
Astepatatime, PM sent.

uplander
01-04-2014, 07:46 PM
Just curious what camp are you looking at in Florida, I think that would be a blast with your son. Mine is 12 and I would love to do it just not sure if he is up for it.

clrussell
01-04-2014, 07:51 PM
I'm heading to the boarding school outside Orlando in April. Can't wait to go and give feed back. I'll be there a week

mikeg205
01-04-2014, 08:13 PM
I'm heading to the boarding school outside Orlando in April. Can't wait to go and give feed back. I'll be there a week

You score the skylon board rack and hit the The Boarding School in 2 weeks - you're livin' right! :) :D

clrussell
01-04-2014, 08:29 PM
You score the skylon board rack and hit the The Boarding School in 2 weeks - you're livin' right! :) :D

Ha.. I've been scheduled for the boarding school since my birthday in October. The board rack was a bonus :)

What size board rack are you looking for? I've got a 2.5" half board rack half ski rack I'll be putting on the board as soon as the new one shows up

Astepatatime
01-04-2014, 09:28 PM
Just curious what camp are you looking at in Florida, I think that would be a blast with your son. Mine is 12 and I would love to do it just not sure if he is up for it.

I've been looking at both The Wakeboard Camp (aka TWC) and The Boarding School (aka TBS). Both are in the Orlando area. Both have pretty informative websites. There are a lot of good ones around the country, but for March, Florida is what makes sense. I'm strongly leaning towards TBS.

mikeg205
01-04-2014, 09:38 PM
Ha.. I've been scheduled for the boarding school since my birthday in October. The board rack was a bonus :)

What size board rack are you looking for? I've got a 2.5" half board rack half ski rack I'll be putting on the board as soon as the new one shows up

I need a 3" - oh well I will score one yet.. :)

uplander
01-04-2014, 11:59 PM
I've been looking at both The Wakeboard Camp (aka TWC) and The Boarding School (aka TBS). Both are in the Orlando area. Both have pretty informative websites. There are a lot of good ones around the country, but for March, Florida is what makes sense. I'm strongly leaning towards TBS.

Thanks for the info, have fun if you decide to go

Astepatatime
03-21-2014, 11:24 PM
An update to this thread....my son started spring break today and so we head out on Sunday to The Boarding School in Orlando for a week of wakeboard camp. Been working on getting in decent condition since New Years. Looking forward to it.

Will bring back some pics...and stories.

clrussell
03-21-2014, 11:38 PM
Can't wait to hear about it. 21 days tomorrow until I go down to the boarding school!

Astepatatime
03-22-2014, 09:36 AM
Weather doesn't look the greatest...but can't do anything about that.

clrussell
03-22-2014, 10:05 AM
Weather doesn't look the greatest...but can't do anything about that.

That's what I'm afraid of when I head down there. I'm gonna try to have a good time rain it shine!

Jerseydave
03-22-2014, 10:15 AM
Don't worry about the weather, there's always a chance of daily rain in Florida.

A full week at wakeboard school? You won't be able to walk after that! :D

clrussell
03-23-2014, 10:58 PM
Don't worry about the weather, there's always a chance of daily rain in Florida.

A full week at wakeboard school? You won't be able to walk after that! :D

I don't care if I can walk after I get back as long as I have a good time! As soon as I land after my week at the boarding school I'm headed to pick up my new boat :) nothing like driving 20 hours as soon as you get home from a week of vacation!

KnoxX2
03-24-2014, 11:57 AM
What's the New Boat going to be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdjaster
03-27-2014, 12:18 AM
I know that I'm late in coming into this thread but I'm just seeing it for the first time. Since you have connections in San Antonio, I would get in touch with Pat McElhinney in Seguin, TX (about 30 minutes outside SA). I did a lesson with him 2-3 years ago and it still helps me tremendously today. He is a great teacher.

clrussell
03-27-2014, 06:29 AM
What's the New Boat going to be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Working with action water sports to get an 05 xstar

Astepatatime
03-27-2014, 08:24 AM
Quick update from TBS....sitting here with a cup of coffee, getting ready for day 4 of the camp.

It's been a great week already. Weather was a little concerning....M/T looked like rain but didn't. Yesterday was cold (46 degrees for the morning sets), but wetsuits got us through it.

Camp has been all that my son and I wanted so far. We came into this as basically beginners with one season (of bad habits) under our belts. They've had a good approach for us - basics with lots of repetitions then building up on that. For example, doing a whole set (20 minutes) of just wake crossing may seem boring, but learning how to keep a constant edge thru the wake, correct body positioning, etc are all important later.

After 3 days I'm riding completely different. And landed my first "trick" yesterday, a toeside 180. It's simple, but was unfathomable before this week.

The instructors have been great. The equipment is great. They've got an Xstar and Prostar. Actually took a couple of sets behind the Prostar. Sounds funny, but it's a teaching tool with a small wake and way to get some basics down.

Was pretty sore after first two days, but it's going away. Doing 3 full 20 minute sets a day is a lot different then recreational boarding. You go, go, go and are tired after 20 minutes.

So great stuff so far and well worth it. They also have small cable run set up and going to give that a try, just for something different.

damaged442
03-27-2014, 11:16 AM
Very nice. I would love to head down there for some good old instruction. The wife keeps hinting about wanting to bring the kids to Disney, so this might be something else to do when we are down there. Can't wait to see some pics.

Astepatatime
03-29-2014, 12:13 PM
My 13 yo son and I are back from spending his spring break at The Boarding School. Thought I'd post up a few pics, more of the school and equipment than of us.

In short, we had a great week. Our two main instructors were Travis Moye and Jimmy Trask. Different styles of instructing, but it was nice to have different approaches on different sets.

It's a demanding week. 3 sets a day, each set about 20-25 minutes. And you're going hard during the set. You can go 4 sets on Th/FR if you have the energy. So basically crammed in, for me, almost a whole summer's riding into a week. I'm 50 and work to stay in shape, but ibuprofen was my friend.

My son and I are basically beginners, with one season under our belt. So we advanced a lot. For example, my son was really struggling with just getting outside the wake. In 10 minutes, he was handling that. By the end, he was edging aggressively, with proper form, getting a little air across the wake, riding switch (goofy), and doing surface 180s. And we're now armed with info to advance all summer long. Other riders who were more advanced added whole new tricks or refined tricks they already had in their arsenal.

The weather was a mixed bag for us this week. Kinda cool or grey days. One morning it was 45 degrees and windy. That was pretty tough. But you just go do it and work through it.

I would definitely recommend this place. May even go back sometime to keep progressing. I'm sure there are plenty of other good schools and I don't have any reference points, but in the end, I felt it was good value. Great equipment, knowledgeable and patient instructors, good facilities.

Here's a few pics.
- Equipment room - they have Ronix boards primarily and Jetpilot wetsuits.
- Xstar for most of the riding
- Prostar for skiers. But, depending on your skill, they use the Prostar for some wakeboarding lessons. The smaller wake is less intimidating so you can focus on proper technique without the bigger wake being in your head. I did a few sets this way and if you get outside your ego and go with it, it's helpful. Especially when working on riding switch.
- The System 2.0 cable run they have, with a rail, a few barrels, and a ramp
- Couple pics of my son and I
- Pic or two of Jimmy Trask taking a set. Not often you get to ride in the boat with a pro behind it.

Jerseydave
03-29-2014, 12:38 PM
Love the pics, sounds like you guys had a great time!
Instruction from a pro is a huge help for sure. We've been lucky to have Gerry Nunn, Keith Lyman and Josh Palma here on different occasions to coach myself and my friends.
And yes, nothing like being in the boat when a pro takes to the water! :D

BTW, that Prostar looks awesome with just a simple tan accent color.....LOVE THE MINI TOWER TOO!

GoneBoatN
03-29-2014, 01:27 PM
Man this is the best advertisement for a wakeboarding school. I want to go so bad...

Cool to see you had a great father-son experience.