PDA

View Full Version : How Far?

BriEOD
10-28-2005, 06:13 PM
I'm curious and would appreciate some feedback. Approximately how many miles from work do you live? How far would you live from where you work? Yes, MarkP I know you just walk down the stairs. :D

east tx skier
10-28-2005, 06:19 PM
It takes me approximately 15 minutes to get to work. Probably about 8 miles give or take. I prefer to live as close as possible, but I think there are more important considerations.

My wife has a 50 minute commute. She wishes it was shorter.

T Scott
10-28-2005, 06:21 PM
I am probably not a good source. My full time job is a pharmaceutical rep and I have the state of Florida (minus panhandle) as my territory. Some days I drive 15-20 minutes to my first office and other days I drive 4 hours to get to an account. Thanks God for Xm radio and cell phones! When I had an office based job, my commute was about half an hour.

_DiZZ_
10-28-2005, 06:22 PM
I had a hour to an hour and a half and was only 22 miles away :rant: ... but my company moved now im about 15 min :banana:

stump
10-28-2005, 06:23 PM
I live about 40-45 km from work (25-28 miles) and that is considered quite a commute around here. However, due to the route, it only takes me 30-35 minutes to get there. Well worth it to live in the "country".

SOMEDAY SOON
10-28-2005, 06:23 PM
I would like a closer drive but mine is 35 mins door to door....

jamisonsbrodie
10-28-2005, 06:24 PM
Now: 20min morning, 30 min evening (11miles)
In 2 years it will be 60+ min. each way(39 miles), the plan is to move to a private ski lake once it is finished. I am a little concerned about the commute, but we are going to give it a try.

east tx skier
10-28-2005, 06:28 PM
I would commute further if it meant I could live on a ski lake. I wouldn't think twice about it.

jmyers
10-28-2005, 07:06 PM
My wife and I travel to work together everyday, I drop her off go all the way across town to drop my son off at pre school, and then back half way across town to work myself :( About 80 miles a day!!

Thats why I bought the car, and still looking for the truck!! :mad:

Ric
10-28-2005, 07:15 PM
Brian I did the 40mile each way commute but when we started having kids it was hell. It will strain a marriage to say the least and it cannot be good for the kids when it gets like that.
If you're near alot of family, it may be easier on you than it was me.
I'm close to work now and kinda turns my stomach when I remember the days of life based on what time of day I could be on the road and situations where I needed to get home quick. I wouldn't do it again.
how far do you and wife drive now?

RickDV
10-28-2005, 07:22 PM
I drive 2.8 miles to work (8 minutes) and 2.5 miles to the boat launch. Oh how I wish I lived closer to the boat launch to cut down the drive time! :D

Farmer Ted
10-28-2005, 07:22 PM
5 miles, 8-10 minutes

shepherd
10-28-2005, 07:32 PM
In Washington, D.C., it was about 45 minutes to go 25 miles on a good day. That is the max time I would ever want to commute. Ideally, IMO, would be 1/2 hour or less.

Here in Panama City, it takes me about 15 minutes to go 5 miles. The short drive is nice (and scenic).

To put it in perspective, it isn't unusual for people in D.C. to commute 1-1/2 to 2 hours each way. My boss up there lived in the mountains, drove a 1/2 hour to the commuter train, took the train downtown, switched to the subway, and then had a 10 - 15 minute outdoor walk from the subway station to his office. :eek: He's retired now... wonder why? :cool:

Mag_Red
10-28-2005, 07:37 PM
My office is in my home, so my communute is about as short as Mark P's. If I didn't have to check on the painters every day, I'd have it made. I probably average about 100 miles a day though :(

Rockman
10-28-2005, 07:38 PM
My commute sucks! I'd love to have the 10 to 15 minute drive.

I have a 50 mile round trip drive to the office and home which can take anywhere from 45 minutes to 2.5 hours, each way.

Construction here in the western suburbs is bad and since more people are moving out this way, the 2 laners on each side so don't cut it.

It's kinda funny though, traffic by me is bad up until 126 and then from 126 to 30, I can be doing 90mph in the truck in the left lane and people are right behind me. Once you hit 30, traffic starts to disappear.

Workin' 4 Toys
10-28-2005, 07:39 PM
40 miles each way. 80 per day. THAT IS THE MAX I ever want. ON a perfect day 50 minutes. Yesterday it took 2 hrs 10 minutes one way. I leave an 1 1/2 hours before I need to be there. When it snows, WHO KNOWS how long, it took me 4 hours once:eek: .
It is much harder now than before, but they are building a brand new express way near my house which should make things "easier?". Will add an additional $2.00 a day in tolls over the $2.00 i pay now, but should help the drive times.
I re-evaluate almost everyday what I should do.

Tom023
10-28-2005, 07:43 PM
My tolerance isn't miles but time. After 35 minutes I hate being in commuter traffic, so whether it's 8 miles or 25 miles in that amount of time, 35 is all I can tolerate. I used to put up with more in D.C. and Atlanta, but life is too short.

Mag_Red
10-28-2005, 07:43 PM
I heard those Chi town commutes were murder. My brother-in-law lived in Elgin and commuted to the city every day. I think he said it took 1 1/2 hours each way :eek:

Workin' 4 Toys
10-28-2005, 07:46 PM
I heard those Chi town commutes were murder. My brother-in-law lived in Elgin and commuted to the city every day. I think he said it took 1 1/2 hours each way :eek:
It has my vote for the worst in the country. And getting worse by the day.

jimmer2880
10-28-2005, 08:09 PM
120 miles round trip. If I leave at 4:30 am, it's 1 hour to work. Leave there at 3:30 & it takes me 1.5 hours. It could easily take me 2 - 2.5 hours leaving at the wrong time.

20 minutes to water skiing (when we aren't staying at the trailer next to the river) and 12 minutes to snow skiing. My priorities are right where they need to be. :headbang:

6ballsisall
10-28-2005, 08:11 PM
My office is 18 miles door to door. My other office, the airport is 13 miles.

bigmac
10-28-2005, 08:19 PM
5 minutes or 10 minutes to work, depending on which hospital. One of them is on the other end of the lake from me. I could take my boat to work if they had a dock and boat lift for me. Hmmmm....

Traffic isn't an issue, but deer are, especially at 6AM, and especially now that we're heading into the rutting season, and especially as hunters start getting the deer all worked up and nervous.

6ballsisall
10-28-2005, 08:25 PM
and especially as hunters start getting the deer all worked up and nervous.

I wish that was me this year :cry: :cry:

erkoehler
10-28-2005, 08:45 PM
Work is directly across the street.

bucky
10-28-2005, 09:01 PM
14.6 miles one way, it takes 16 minutes. If I roll through the 1 stop sign, 15 1/2. Welcome to rural Oklahoma.

SteveO
10-30-2005, 08:54 AM
38 miles one way. In the AM when I leave at 5:40 , I can be in the gym at the office at 6:20. The PM trip usually takes 50 min - 60 min. Fortunately I am going against most of the traffic. 10 15 to the lake, depending which one I go to.

Leroy
10-30-2005, 09:00 AM
For now 30 feet one week 3000 miles the next. Either at home or in CA! Believe I'll be taking position at the office in Carmel so will have 5 mile, ~10 minute commute shortly.

BriEOD
10-30-2005, 09:08 AM
Thanks guys. Yeah, where I'm looking at is anywhere from 25-35 miles from work. But, my family and buddies (plus the lakes) are out that way. So, either I live out and drive in for work, or live in and drive out for everything else. :confused:

mitch
10-30-2005, 09:09 AM
Morning Brian!! I travel 128 miles RT 3-4 days a week to get to my client. ***, but I got Sat radio and get riembured for milage. Both of which ease the pain. :cool: Good luck w/ you move!

BriEOD
10-30-2005, 09:37 AM
Hey Mitch, wow that is a long way! Yeah, listening to some of you 30 miles-"ish" doesn't sound to bad!

stevo137
10-30-2005, 09:39 AM
Thanks guys. Yeah, where I'm looking at is anywhere from 25-35 miles from work. But, my family and buddies (plus the lakes) are out that way. So, either I live out and drive in for work, or live in and drive out for everything else. :confused:
25-35 isn't that bad. I would want to live where the lakes are. Matter of fact on the water if possible. I'm sure it would be a better investment too.
Think of how nice it will be to come home to the lake.
My dream anyway.

BriEOD
10-30-2005, 09:54 AM
Not to jack my own thread, but in a related issue, and since so many of you mentiond Sat Radio I wanted to mention this. I just put a Sirius Starmate ($30 rebate) in My 05' F-150. However, I didn't want to replace the head unit. I have the audiophile system which I think sounds really well (has an amp and a subwooferP. Plus, I have controls on the steering wheel. But, I didn't want to use the FM Modulator. In my wife's Expedition we use the modulator and it sounds ok. The audiophile system has an auxilary selector on the head unit, but no RCA inputs. So PIE came up with a cable that adds RCA inputs: http://www.pie.net/index-1.cfm You have to unplug the factory cable and integrate it with the PIE cable, plus tap into 12 V power. But, it allows you to use line in and not the FM modulator. I tapped into the 12 V on the cigarette lighter for the Starmate (added a female cigarette adapter behind the radio) and the PIE cable box. I also purchased a bracket that mount behind the facing and utlizes the bolts that hold the radio in place. I didn't want to use suction cups or drill, etc. It was about a 30 minute install and I have CD quality sound. It's great!! My favorite stations are Octane, New Country and NFL Movin' the Chains. If any of you Ford boys have questions let me know. It really sounds awesome!!

6ballsisall
10-30-2005, 10:43 AM
25-35 isn't that bad. I would want to live where the lakes are. Matter of fact on the water if possible. I'm sure it would be a better investment too.
Think of how nice it will be to come home to the lake.
My dream anyway.

Agree with Steve here. We are 2-3 minutes at most off the water (including launch time) but am 25 minutes from my office. Its the way to go. If the drive is one with not to much traffic than live on or near the water. After a long days work its no fun to have to load up and drive 30 minutes to get to the water. Its fun to get home, slam down a sandwich and hit the water with friends

BrianM
10-30-2005, 11:18 AM
My commute is 45 miles and takes me an hour fortunately I only have to make it about 3 days a week. My wifes is 37 miles and it takes her 45 minutes. Between the two of us we rack up the miles on the cars and burn a lot of fossil fuel not to mention we both pay $2 a day toll. My limit is an hour on the commute miles don't matter to me be 10 or 60 as long as the time isn't more than an hour.

erkoehler
10-30-2005, 11:26 AM
Agree with Steve here. We are 2-3 minutes at most off the water (including launch time) but am 25 minutes from my office. Its the way to go. If the drive is one with not to much traffic than live on or near the water. After a long days work its no fun to have to load up and drive 30 minutes to get to the water. Its fun to get home, slam down a sandwich and hit the water with friends

I have a 1 minute drive to work, and I agree with the live closer/on the water. I have to drive 30 minutes, or 50 minutes in traffic to get to the river.

stevo137
10-30-2005, 12:01 PM
I didn't post mine because I have a different situation but anyway, I have a home office where I do most of my office work and have an office about 30 miles away at our warehouse. Some days it takes an hour to get there because of the construction.
I don't spend much time there due to the fact that I'm usually on the road covering my sales territory which is very concentrated. I don't need to travel more than one-two hours in any direction and put on about 25-30k miles per year.
The lake where we keep out boat is 14 miles south of home and I would buy a place and move there even though it would add about 30 minutes to get to the Chicago area.
The only problem is that I can't seem to sell my family on the idea of moving there even though the area and lake is improving rapidly and the houses on the lake are skyrocketing.
I guess my point is, I would drive 90 minutes each way if I could live on the lake but if didn't have a company car I might feel differently...

bcampbe7
10-30-2005, 12:04 PM
I have about a 20 minute drive to work, door to door, and about a 7 minute drive to the lake. :cool:

If I had a choice I would live closer to family and friends and drive to the lake.

sizzler
10-30-2005, 02:09 PM
20 minute train journey into the centre of london..............

way too busy a journey....so many people......often dont get a seat there or back....... :mad:

Danimal
10-30-2005, 02:53 PM
I only live 12 miles from work. I used to commute 45 minutes to work before this job so it's nice to live as close as I do now.

whitedog
10-30-2005, 05:37 PM
About 30 min, 50 mi rt on country roads to office then another 60 to 100 mi calling on clients. Do about 40K for work in a company truck. Comute to ski area is 35 mi in opposite direction.:(

M-Funf
10-31-2005, 02:09 PM
My commute is 25 miles each way. It takes us about 30-45 minutes. I carpool with my wife since her work is near mine.

I don't want to live any closer to work...it would be too easy to just need to "pop in" during off hours.

How far would I go? I think anything under an hour is manageable to me. Longer than that, and I'm getting frustrated with the drive. Living on the lake would put me about 1.5 hours from work...and that's just a bit too far...

shepherd
10-31-2005, 08:06 PM

Brian, the way I look at it is: I drive to work 5 days a week. I drive to the boat ramp (for skiing) about twice a week on average, less during the winter. So, unless my house is right on the water where I ski (so I wouldn't have to worry about hitching up the trailer and towing it to the ramp), I'd just as soon live closer to work everything else being equal... That doesn't even take into account the shorter trips to the grocery store, schools, etc. by living closer to town.

Just my :twocents:

shepherd
10-31-2005, 08:07 PM
Just read you message again...

I said "everything else being equal." But if you have family/friends out that way, I guess that sways things a bit toward living out in the lake country...