View Full Version : 98 MC Trailer help

10-28-2005, 12:58 PM
I am working on restoring my new 1998 MC PS 205 X-Star edition and the trailer needs some help. I have two "issues" specifically.

Issue #1: Trailer brakes. I have replaced most of the actuator including the master cylinder. But I have not blead the lines yet. I have read the instructions but they were written for a shop mechanic not a weekend warrior like myself (mechanical but not an expert). I think there may be a leak in the brake line itself, which is part of my second issue. Can anyone give me any advise on how to blead the brake system? Or should I just take it to the mechanic?

Issue #2: Trailer wiring and brake lines. The trailer seems to have a relativly sealed (square tube) structure. How do you easily access the brake lines and trailer wiring to replace them? I was going to use the old wiring to "pull" the new wiring, but I am am afraid it is connected to side clearance lights and the 3 light bar on the bottom.

I thank you all for your help :toast:

10-28-2005, 02:03 PM
Bleading the brakes are very easy.. but we would need to know if you use surge breaks or not.

Like this one above.

If this looks to be the same one...Click here (http://www.ufpnet.com/PDF/Actuators.PDF)

10-30-2005, 01:14 AM
Having just done both of these on my '98 single-axle trailer....

Yes, the clearance lights and the 3-light bar are attached to the main wire run back to the lights with pretty cheesy taps. It really isn't hard to find the taps; pull the tail lights out of their rubber gaskets, and pull out the clearance light wires where they disappear into the frame (they should go through a rubber grommet; pull out the grommet). The 3-light bar, as I remember, is attached via a tap on the left side that's accessible from under the trailer (there's a cutout in the frame). Clip the clearance light/lightbar wires, and the tail light wires, attach a stout string to the wires from both rear taillights, and pull the wire out the tongue. Attach the replacement wires to the string, and pull them back in place. Re-attach using new taps/crimps for all the wires and you're done.

11-01-2005, 10:05 AM
Thanks Frank, that is very helpful. I think i have a handle on the wiring now.

Dizz, that is my actuator. I got replacement parts for that and have basically totally overhauled it. But its downstream of that where I am having trouble. I think i have a leak in my line, so i need to adress that before I bleed.

Thanks for the help guys...