PDA

View Full Version : 98 MC Trailer help

herringtech
10-28-2005, 12:58 PM
I am working on restoring my new 1998 MC PS 205 X-Star edition and the trailer needs some help. I have two "issues" specifically.

Issue #1: Trailer brakes. I have replaced most of the actuator including the master cylinder. But I have not blead the lines yet. I have read the instructions but they were written for a shop mechanic not a weekend warrior like myself (mechanical but not an expert). I think there may be a leak in the brake line itself, which is part of my second issue. Can anyone give me any advise on how to blead the brake system? Or should I just take it to the mechanic?

Issue #2: Trailer wiring and brake lines. The trailer seems to have a relativly sealed (square tube) structure. How do you easily access the brake lines and trailer wiring to replace them? I was going to use the old wiring to "pull" the new wiring, but I am am afraid it is connected to side clearance lights and the 3 light bar on the bottom.

I thank you all for your help :toast:

_DiZZ_
10-28-2005, 02:03 PM
Bleading the brakes are very easy.. but we would need to know if you use surge breaks or not.
http://www.ufpnet.com/images/Products/actuator.gif

Like this one above.

If this looks to be the same one...Click here (http://www.ufpnet.com/PDF/Actuators.PDF)

FrankSchwab
10-30-2005, 01:14 AM
Having just done both of these on my '98 single-axle trailer....

Yes, the clearance lights and the 3-light bar are attached to the main wire run back to the lights with pretty cheesy taps. It really isn't hard to find the taps; pull the tail lights out of their rubber gaskets, and pull out the clearance light wires where they disappear into the frame (they should go through a rubber grommet; pull out the grommet). The 3-light bar, as I remember, is attached via a tap on the left side that's accessible from under the trailer (there's a cutout in the frame). Clip the clearance light/lightbar wires, and the tail light wires, attach a stout string to the wires from both rear taillights, and pull the wire out the tongue. Attach the replacement wires to the string, and pull them back in place. Re-attach using new taps/crimps for all the wires and you're done.

herringtech
11-01-2005, 10:05 AM
Thanks Frank, that is very helpful. I think i have a handle on the wiring now.

Dizz, that is my actuator. I got replacement parts for that and have basically totally overhauled it. But its downstream of that where I am having trouble. I think i have a leak in my line, so i need to adress that before I bleed.

Thanks for the help guys...