PDA

View Full Version : 2013 F150 Eco Boost ... What oil to use

gsxrjtt
12-22-2013, 09:35 AM
I know this might cause a riot but with these new eco boost twin turbo motors what is everyone using ??? coming up on 1000 miles and want to do a first oil change. Was thinking of going to use a full synthetic and from reading these turbos need cleanest oil to keep their life span. How often is everyone changing and are you even going by miles or by the oil life monitor in the truck. ?

Footin
12-22-2013, 09:43 AM
I would stay with MotorCraft oil till to the 10k mark.

dt37803
12-22-2013, 09:46 AM
Every time I purchased a new vehicle it came with the first oil change free from ford

BrianM
12-22-2013, 10:45 AM
Double check your owners manual. Some manufacturers are very specific about no oil change prior to x amount of miles. Change too soon can cause issue down the road if you are draining a manufacturers oil with an additional additive or weight for 'break in'

Most people change oil WAY too often. Follow the manual and use the recommended weight and classification. There have been a lot of tests by various sources out there that have sent oil into labs after changing on using only the oil life monitor not miles showing there was still a reasonable amount of 'life' left in the oil when changing on the OLMs recommendation this showing the manufacturers know what they are doing.

mikeg205
12-22-2013, 11:03 AM
Double check your owners manual. Some manufacturers are very specific about no oil change prior to x amount of miles. Change too soon can cause issue down the road if you are draining a manufacturers oil with an additional additive or weight for 'break in'

Most people change oil WAY too often. Follow the manual and use the recommended weight and classification. There have been a lot of tests by various sources out there that have sent oil into labs after changing on using only the oil life monitor not miles showing there was still a reasonable amount of 'life' left in the oil when changing on the OLMs recommendation this showing the manufacturers know what they are doing.

+1 on this.. is this going to be an oil discussion thread? ;) - on new vehicles - change the oil when the car tells you to...

alfie623
12-22-2013, 11:48 AM
I agree with both posts above. My dealer service rep was insistent about me waiting until 5k miles on my 2013 F150 with the Eccoboost. I've actually adopted the factory mentality and I'm going to let the computer tell me when it needs changing. I'm currently at 10k miles and haven't had a second change yet.

98 Saleen Cobra
12-22-2013, 12:02 PM
Change with AMSOIL with their filters.. :)

Aric'sX15
12-22-2013, 01:12 PM
Only go to the ford dealer! You dont need them to deny any warranty because of it.

Farmer Ted
12-22-2013, 01:50 PM
Have you had any problems with the high humidity/rain stall issues?

thinking about trading in the Yukon but am reluctant due to this issue

BrianM
12-22-2013, 02:01 PM
Have you had any problems with the high humidity/rain stall issues?

thinking about trading in the Yukon but am reluctant due to this issue

Ecoboost 150 (along with the Ecodiesel Ram) is on my short list for a replacement to the Avalanche but I am waiting for the release of the 2015 towards the end of next year which we should see at the Detroit Autoshow next month.

My reading seems to say the humidity/stall issue has been fixed.

Farmer Ted
12-22-2013, 02:18 PM
Ecoboost 150 (along with the Ecodiesel Ram) is on my short list for a replacement to the Avalanche but I am waiting for the release of the 2015 towards the end of next year which we should see at the Detroit Autoshow next month.

My reading seems to say the humidity/stall issue has been fixed.

the gear heads at work say the TSB doesn't fix the stall issue, I guess there are some shade tree mechanics that are drill a 1/16th in hole in the bottom of the intercooler (paraphrased) to allow the pooled water to drain.

one dude at work says he can make it stall at will

gsxrjtt
12-22-2013, 03:08 PM
So I have pulled 500 miles with the truck about 200 with a 190 and another 300 with my X14 and the X1.. This truck is awesome.. No proab no stalls power losses.. It just wants to pull.. I was going 75 mph with the X1 and still could pass people with lots of power to go. I have only driven trucks for the passed 20 years and this is the best to date .. also drives like a dream around town.. Some people say they ride rough but hey its a TRUCK if you want a soft ride dont buy one.. I Haul motorcycles or boats almost on a every other day basis .. Love this truck

maxpower220
12-22-2013, 04:35 PM
First, use an oil the meets at least the minimum specs that Ford requires. All Fords come with semi-syn from the factory and that is what you will get if you go there for an oil change.

The oil monitor system in the truck doesn't "test" the oil, it just monitor's miles and hours to come up with a "time" to change the oil. You can change that "time" in the computer settings.

Change the oil whenever you want. Also, your truck computer isn't set up for "severe duty" (towing) in the manner that you are using it, according to the manual. Keep that in mind for whatever decision you come up with on changing the oil

I have had my 13 EB for a year now and still love it. 25K miles later and no stall issues. The 13 truck got a redesigned intercooler. I live in FL, so humid is part of daily life.

gsxrjtt
12-22-2013, 07:34 PM
Whats everyone recommend for full synthetic and oil filter..

Jerseydave
12-22-2013, 07:41 PM
I take mine to Ford every 5000 miles and let them use the oil they recommend.
Not going to risk any warranty issue later on by doing it myself (yuk) or using Jiffy Lube.

The dealer I bought it from said I can go 7500 miles between changes but I won't do that.

Aric'sX15
12-22-2013, 07:51 PM
Not going to risk any warranty issue later on by doing it myself (yuk) or using Jiffy Lube.

The dealer I bought it from said I can go 7500 miles between changes but I won't do that.

Best advice. Do not take this the wrong way, but showing how problematic these motors can be (major issues mostly have been fixed, as previously talked about) I wouldnt risk it anywhere else but ford.

maxpower220
12-23-2013, 09:39 AM
For oil filters, do a quick internet search for independent oil filter tests. These are just people who do tests on their own, so you don't get advertiser input/backing. By using that info, when I change my own oil, I use Mobil 1 filters. K&N, Wix, and Royal Purple are also made quite well. Stay away from Fram or any "cheap" filter.

There are tons of oil threads.

Parks Ford in Wesley Chapel pretty much always has a coupon online for oil changes. I go there for every change in my Fusion and F150. I think I paid under $20 for oil change and tire rotation last time.

bigmac
12-23-2013, 09:51 AM
I know this might cause a riot but with these new eco boost twin turbo motors what is everyone using ??? coming up on 1000 miles and want to do a first oil change. Was thinking of going to use a full synthetic and from reading these turbos need cleanest oil to keep their life span. How often is everyone changing and are you even going by miles or by the oil life monitor in the truck. ?

Why don't you just use what the manufacturer recommends? Do you think that people on this site are smarter than the people who designed and built the engine, and are on the hook for warranty repairs for 3-5 years?

gsxrjtt
12-23-2013, 10:16 AM
Because its peoples thoughts and tests.. Thats kind of like the same thinking as ok is wont do any research like when a manufacture makes a major recall on a safety part.. What were they to good not catch the proab at the manufacture ???? they make those recalls because it alot of people using a product finding faults along the way and then complaining about the same proab.. Its just research I do it on just about everything.. just like to get multiple thoughts, opinions, and input then make my decision. I have asked 2 different ford places and gotten 2 different answers..

mikeg205
12-23-2013, 11:38 AM
Why don't you just use what the manufacturer recommends? Do you think that people on this site are smarter than the people who designed and built the engine, and are on the hook for warranty repairs for 3-5 years?

I would say the user and knowledge base of this site far exceeds the manufacturers - especially after we stay at a holiday inn --- ;)

gsxrjtt
12-23-2013, 11:51 AM
......:uglyhamme

Aric'sX15
12-23-2013, 11:56 AM
For oil filters, do a quick internet search for independent oil filter tests. These are just people who do tests on their own, so you don't get advertiser input/backing. By using that info, when I change my own oil, I use Mobil 1 filters. K&N, Wix, and Royal Purple are also made quite well. Stay away from Fram or any "cheap" filter.

There are tons of oil threads.

Parks Ford in Wesley Chapel pretty much always has a coupon online for oil changes. I go there for every change in my Fusion and F150. I think I paid under $20 for oil change and tire rotation last time.

Wow... thought I was getting a good deal with 45 bucks for that on my 2011 5.0 f150....

1redTA
12-23-2013, 01:48 PM
I like to look at Bob is the Oil Guy for oil and filter testing but am partial to Amsoil signature series and their absolute Effeciency filter for once a year or 25000 mile drain intervals

onewheat
12-24-2013, 02:56 AM

You can not be denied warranty service for changing your own oil or for using Jiffy Lube or for going to a Chevy dealer for your Ford as long as you are using manufacturer approved products (API service rating, viscosity, etc). 5k miles is about the max I would run on oil - oil changes are cheap. Both of my daily drivers are 150k+ miles and oil galleys are still spotless and freee of carbon and sludge. I am not a fan of oil life meters. They are based on calculations. I make enough money that the possibility of spending a bit extra for oil changes doesn't bother me. Oil can't be TOO clean.