PDA

View Full Version : gopro

tmacx2
12-18-2013, 10:49 PM
Thinking of getting a gopro. So for those of you that have one, what accessories are must haves? Do you recommend having an extra battery and what size memory cards are you using?

lashburn1
12-18-2013, 10:51 PM
Thinking of getting a gopro. So for those of you that have one, what accessories are must haves? Do you recommend having an extra battery and what size memory cards are you using?

I got the Hero 3 black
Got the Orange Floaty lid. MUST HAVE
Wish I have extra or better battery
Can remember MEM but bigger is better so you can video all you like,,,

Have Fun

Double D
12-18-2013, 11:18 PM
Have the 3 Silver. A second battery would be nice. I have a 16 gig card which is good for 2 hours, 15 minutes of video.

To me the key is mounts.
Suction Cup
Roll Bar Mount (Tower)
Handlebar Mount (Handle)
Surfboard Mounts
Head Mount
Just picked up the new clip on adjustable neck mount
Floaty Back Door
Camera Frame instead of the waterproof case = better sound

I have a few videos where I mounted in different places on my Youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7S7sGjZuGIjbFMdfDgjt6w

scott023
12-19-2013, 12:01 AM
Good info here... I'm in the market.

kgrove
12-19-2013, 12:59 AM
Agree the floaty is a must have, but don't trust it by itself. It can get ripped off in a crash at wakeboard speeds, plus some mounts weigh enough to cause the gopro to sink even with the float. Two suggestions: one, run a bead of Aquaseal glue around the floaty to make it even more securely attached to the door, just be careful not to get glue where it interferes with the latch or the sealing gasket. Two, get a leash of some kind and attach it as well. There is a good one called Kahuna if I remember correctly. You always want (if at all possible) a redundant safety mechanism to keep your gopro off the lake bottom. If the leash fails, it should float. If the float fails, the leash should hold.

Another accessory - Gopro bobber. This works great as a handle and it floats.

Stefan
12-19-2013, 02:36 AM
The Black one is a must, the only one with decent picture quality imo...

We only use the gopro for wakesurfing with a suction-cup tripod on the stern and some handheld funstuff. For wakeboarding we use a wakejak-tower mounted video camera and or a handheld DSLR, the gopro is just too far away to film wakeboarding from the boat even in tele mode...

Covi
12-19-2013, 06:31 AM
Get them all. You'll use them.

bigmac
12-19-2013, 08:25 AM
The Black one is a must, the only one with decent picture quality imo...

We only use the gopro for wakesurfing with a suction-cup tripod on the stern and some handheld funstuff. For wakeboarding we use a wakejak-tower mounted video camera and or a handheld DSLR, the gopro is just too far away to film wakeboarding from the boat even in tele mode...

I have the Hero 2, it's a great system. I have contemplated the Hero 3, Black or Silver (same lens, same sensor), but have been put off by the many complaints about them moving the fixed focus point to optimize for close-ups. Beyond 4 feet, the Hero 3 images definitely lack video crispness compared to the earlier versions. I'm also concerned about the sporadic reports of 20-minute battery life.

IOW, I'm on the fence about upgrading to the current version.

trickskier
12-19-2013, 08:55 AM
I have the Hero 2, it's a great system. I have contemplated the Hero 3, Black or Silver (same lens, same sensor), but have been put off by the many complaints about them moving the fixed focus point to optimize for close-ups. Beyond 4 feet, the Hero 3 images definitely lack video crispness compared to the earlier versions. I'm also concerned about the sporadic reports of 20-minute battery life.

IOW, I'm on the fence about upgrading to the current version.

I just order the Black Hero 3 for my wife. I'll let you know about the performance.

trickskier
12-19-2013, 08:56 AM
Have the 3 Silver. A second battery would be nice. I have a 16 gig card which is good for 2 hours, 15 minutes of video.

To me the key is mounts.
Suction Cup
Roll Bar Mount (Tower)
Handlebar Mount (Handle)
Surfboard Mounts
Head Mount
Floaty Back Door

Thanks for the info!

web
12-19-2013, 09:37 AM
My son just got these spare batteries.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AQUXN6C/

wallnut21
12-19-2013, 09:51 AM
The Suction cup is the best mount I have. It can be used almost anywhere and it's rock solid.

Ryan
12-19-2013, 10:35 AM
My son just got these spare batteries.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AQUXN6C/

Similar to these, I used Wasabi batteries and had a positive experience with them. I recommend them because you'll surely exhaust the battery well before an empty 64gb card. Well worth the money since the batteries don't last that long - especially with time lapse.

I like the suction cup mount. Though I most often use the head strap, a short pole and long pole (mount fastened to a PVC pipe - real high tech). My latest is a DIY swiveling pivot head that I mounted to my old SkiTrakker. It swings around from the tower pylon.

I just sold the hero2 and upgraded to the 3. Hard to pass up a $240 amazon lightening deal.
Next, I want the chest mount, a kite rig and am looking to make a super simple gravity based jib attachment. I think I've gone over the edge.

Double D
12-19-2013, 10:39 AM
Similar to these, I used Wasabi batteries and had a positive experience with them. I recommend them because you'll surely exhaust the battery well before an empty 64gb card. Well worth the money since the batteries don't last that long - especially with time lapse.

I like the suction cup mount. Though I most often use the head strap, a short pole and long pole (mount fastened to a PVC pipe - real high tech). My latest is a DIY swiveling pivot head that I mounted to my old SkiTrakker. It swings around from the tower pylon.

I just sold the hero2 and upgraded to the 3. Hard to pass up a $240 amazon lightening deal.
Next, I want the chest mount, a kite rig and am looking to make a super simple gravity based jib attachment. I think I've gone over the edge.

I asked GoPro to make a small swivel mount. Nothing yet! But this one will help me do what I want, just haven't used it yet.

http://gopro.com/camera-mounts/jaws-flex-clamp

tmacx2
12-19-2013, 10:41 AM
Lots of good info here. Like a couple of others, I am concerned with filming from a distance, although that's not what I would be mainly using it for. I guess the best solution would be to use a regular video camera for that like Stefan suggested.
Double D, that is a sweet helicopter. Do you plan on using that to film some wakeboarding, etc.? I've seen some cool videos recently where people have done that.

Ryan
12-19-2013, 10:42 AM

To me the key is mounts.
Suction Cup
Roll Bar Mount (Tower)
Handlebar Mount (Handle)
Surfboard Mounts
Head Mount
Floaty Back Door

The lighting and steam conditions for that barefoot run are amazing! That DJI looks fun. Looks like they or GoPro fixed something so there's no jelly effect. Very cool.

Double D
12-19-2013, 10:53 AM
The lighting and steam conditions for that barefoot run are amazing! That DJI looks fun. Looks like they or GoPro fixed something so there's no jelly effect. Very cool.

Thanks Ryan. The Sunrise in that video was awesome and I didn't realize what i had until I viewed it, then edited it. Its my favorite.

If by Jelly affect you mean vibration, I bought an aftermarket isolator that mounts between the copter and the camera to prevent that.

Double D
12-19-2013, 10:55 AM
Lots of good info here. Like a couple of others, I am concerned with filming from a distance, although that's not what I would be mainly using it for. I guess the best solution would be to use a regular video camera for that like Stefan suggested.
Double D, that is a sweet helicopter. Do you plan on using that to film some wakeboarding, etc.? I've seen some cool videos recently where people have done that.

Yes, I have big plans for the spring/summer/fall with that copter and boating. Stay Tuned!!
I just hope I dont drop it in the drink.... :rolleyes:

Ryan
12-19-2013, 11:14 AM
Thanks Ryan. The Sunrise in that video was awesome and I didn't realize what i had until I viewed it, then edited it. Its my favorite.

If by Jelly affect you mean vibration, I bought an aftermarket isolator that mounts between the copter and the camera to prevent that.

Got it. I may dust off my zagi wing and play around with some aerials. Now I kind of wish I'd kept the hero2 for that. Less hurt if it crashes.

CottagerGreg
12-19-2013, 12:29 PM

You have a link for this? I was thinking of buying a DJI for my birthday.. call it self gifting

3event
12-19-2013, 01:48 PM
FLOATIE? A couple quick suggestions we use on the GoPro2:

Zip tie a couple neoprene key floaties to the mount you are using then drop the whole thing in shallow water to ensure it still floats. Floatie back door is no good if the thing stays attached to suction cup mount-too much weight.

Instead of lanyard, I keep some soft clothesline rope and a knife in the boat - I make a tether to the length needed and tie the mount off to something else. Now I know it will float and I should be able to find it.

Suction cup mount is all that. We've mounted it to the front of a slalom ski looking backwards and captured some cool footage. I had a couple key floaties att'd and tethered the mount to the cinch ropes on my ski bindings so it would stay with the ski. Never released.

Enjoy!

soacj
12-19-2013, 02:12 PM
I cut a section of pool noodle and slipped it over the arm on my suction cup mount--Eliminates the problem of the floaty back door not being able to support the weight of the camera and mount and it can't get ripped off.

Double D
12-19-2013, 02:25 PM
You have a link for this? I was thinking of buying a DJI for my birthday.. call it self gifting

I know I posted this already. Am I breaking a rule? Maybe I was daydreaming....

Here is what I bought. There is better out there and this comes from Hong Kong....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Phantom-Quadcopter-VGE-GoPro-Anit-Jello-Vibration-Low-Profile-Mount-/251256246098?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:3160

clrussell
12-25-2013, 06:01 PM
So I got a gopro hero 3 today! I'm about to get a memory card for it, should I just spend the extra money and get the 64g one? Or is a 32g one enough? I got a few mounts with mine but I'm going to order the suction cup mount and a floaty door. Anything else I need to get while I'm buying? What about the surfboard mounts?

scott023
12-25-2013, 06:16 PM
I got a Hero today too. Virtually every connector needed, but need to get a memory card. Any recommendations?

OHIOPRO205
12-25-2013, 09:20 PM
I got one as well. Got a 16G card. Is that big enough??

thatsmrmastercraft
12-25-2013, 09:32 PM
I got a Hero today too. Virtually every connector needed, but need to get a memory card. Any recommendations?

Nice on the Hero.

bigmac
12-25-2013, 09:51 PM
So I got a gopro hero 3 today! I'm about to get a memory card for it, should I just spend the extra money and get the 64g one? Or is a 32g one enough? I got a few mounts with mine but I'm going to order the suction cup mount and a floaty door. Anything else I need to get while I'm buying? What about the surfboard mounts?

Yep, I got the Hero 3+ Black too. I already have almost all the mounts possible, but I did have to get a 64 gig card...I opted for a Sandisk microSDXC. As I understand it, it requires a class 10 card to be fast enough to record.

Double D
12-25-2013, 10:14 PM
The 16 gig card will handle 2 hours and 15 minutes of full 1080 video. I can only assume you multiply by 2 for the 32, and x4 for the 64 gig. One thing though, i have the 16 gig card and usually run out of battery before memory space.

As for mounts, head mount is good, handle bar mount for ski handle, roll bar mount for the tower, and I just got the clamp/flex mount. That's versatility.

Sent from my New iPad Mini using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

atihanyi
12-25-2013, 10:14 PM
sounds like we ought to buy stock in go pro as I got a hero 3 for Christmas as well

Double D
12-25-2013, 10:16 PM
sounds like we ought to buy stock in go pro as I got a hero 3 for Christmas as well

I expect to see a lot more videos in the TT Members Waterski Videos thread this summer!!!

scott023
12-25-2013, 10:22 PM
The 16 gig card will handle 2 hours and 15 minutes of full 1080 video. I can only assume you multiply by 2 for the 32, and x4 for the 64 gig. One thing though, i have the 16 gig card and usually run out of battery before memory space.

As for mounts, head mount is good, handle bar mount for ski handle, roll bar mount for the tower, and I just got the clamp/flex mount. That's versatility.

Do you use a back up battery?

Rossterman
12-25-2013, 10:36 PM
Upgraded to the new jvc adixxion and very impressed. Same resolution but marine case takes clear pics as opposed to my go pro 2 that died a few months in.

CC2MC
12-25-2013, 10:59 PM
I got two GoPros! A Hero 2 and 3 Black. Both look pretty nice, and the two comes with more mounts and a plug in adapter for WiFi. However, the 3 has the built in WiFi and a remote included. It has fewer mounts, but from what i can tell, that would be cheaper than getting a remote for the 2. I have read some of the mount suggestions as well as the floaties, all of which will be purchased soon. Now I just have to decide which one to keep. I am leaning towards the 3 at this point.

http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/s461/DoThadoo/ED4BAB1D-6FF5-4EE4-B900-B6B05DE28433_zpszz67ny82.jpg (http://s1053.photobucket.com/user/DoThadoo/media/ED4BAB1D-6FF5-4EE4-B900-B6B05DE28433_zpszz67ny82.jpg.html)

Rossterman
12-26-2013, 04:30 AM
I got two GoPros! A Hero 2 and 3 Black. Both look pretty nice, and the two comes with more mounts and a plug in adapter for WiFi. However, the 3 has the built in WiFi and a remote included. It has fewer mounts, but from what i can tell, that would be cheaper than getting a remote for the 2. I have read some of the mount suggestions as well as the floaties, all of which will be purchased soon. Now I just have to decide which one to keep. I am leaning towards the 3 at this point.

http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/s461/DoThadoo/ED4BAB1D-6FF5-4EE4-B900-B6B05DE28433_zpszz67ny82.jpg (http://s1053.photobucket.com/user/DoThadoo/media/ED4BAB1D-6FF5-4EE4-B900-B6B05DE28433_zpszz67ny82.jpg.html)

Easy choice for a number of reasons -Suggest you keep the 3 as the 2 is pretty poor for use underwater as convex lens causes a blurred picture. A number of companies attempted to fix it but go pro never did. Believe that this was fixed by using a flat lens on the case with the 3. If not planning to use underwater, either would be fine but 3 is more compact, better resolution, faster processor, and has built in wi-fi as you mentioned

CottagerGreg
12-26-2013, 08:56 AM
GoPro did come out withe "scuba" lens for the Hero 2 and the underwater filming is fixed and clear. Runs about $50. Has a flat lens.

Rossterman
12-26-2013, 11:45 AM
GoPro did come out withe "scuba" lens for the Hero 2 and the underwater filming is fixed and clear. Runs about $50. Has a flat lens.

Yeah, I know. Unfortunately I only found out about this issue after using for a diving trip to the Florida keys- including a chance encounter with a black tip reef shark who was a few feet away. Bummed that the video I took looked so blurry and then when checking on the web about what I must have done wrong, found out they all do this and they misrepresented this as a underwater camera ( specs say case is good to 180ft) but "official" word from go pro was that the housing was never intended to shoot underwater :( . Many other have had this same "surprise". Took them several years of responding to complaints to offer a solution while aftermarket had to come to rescue.

h2oskifreak
12-26-2013, 12:19 PM
Just got a GP3 for Christmas and the "Chesty". I am unsure of what I would use the Chesty for???
Thinking about trading for the head strap as I will most likely use mine for slalom course. Also, snorkeling so the "floaty" and hand strap sound like a good idea. Any other suggestions for me as mine will be used almost exclusively for those purposes?

clrussell
12-26-2013, 01:07 PM
The chesty is pretty useful for watersports too, won't fall off as easy as the headband either

h2oskifreak
12-26-2013, 02:18 PM
The chesty is pretty useful for watersports too, won't fall off as easy as the headband either

I assume the headband can be "woven" through a vented helmet? Is this true, or not? I would think the chesty would be obscured with arms in the slalom course? Am I correct? I am totally new to this and would appreciate any input for best results at the lowest cost.

clrussell
12-26-2013, 02:26 PM
Didn't think about the helmet idea. Arms might obstruct a little on the chest but I've seen some good videos from it

Stefan
12-26-2013, 03:01 PM
Helmet mount is way to shaky for serious (longer) clips, chest mount is somewhat better, but boat mount is always best depending on what you want

soacj
12-26-2013, 03:34 PM
Helmet mount is way to shaky for serious (longer) clips, chest mount is somewhat better, but boat mount is always best depending on what you want

IMO, boat mount (for anything other than surfing) does not work with a Gopro. The lens is designed for closer shots.

onewheat
12-26-2013, 03:50 PM
For a helmet mount, I would go adhesive mount, not a helmet strap (which they do make for vented helmets). It is only as shaky as the fir of your helmet. Trail riding - an adhesive mount isn't shaky at all.

Double D
12-26-2013, 04:05 PM
Do you use a back up battery?

Not yet, haven't bought one yet. But I plan too.

Double D
12-26-2013, 04:12 PM

Not sure best option between helmet or chest. Here is an example video of my son wearing a head strap, with the center strapped removed, and the floaty back door on. It forced the angle downward but it still came out ok. And it didn't fall off, for him anyway. More aggressive would probably knock it off.

http://youtu.be/sp_BVkV9eOk

onewheat
12-26-2013, 04:12 PM
Just got a GP3 for Christmas and the "Chesty". I am unsure of what I would use the Chesty for???
Thinking about trading for the head strap as I will most likely use mine for slalom course. Also, snorkeling so the "floaty" and hand strap sound like a good idea. Any other suggestions for me as mine will be used almost exclusively for those purposes?

Chesty is kid of useless for boarding/skiing - you get a good view of the handle. It is great for rope swings, zip lines, bridge jumping, etc. Maybe backwards while boarding? I haven't tried that one yet.

clrussell
12-26-2013, 06:11 PM
Chesty is kid of useless for boarding/skiing - you get a good view of the handle. It is great for rope swings, zip lines, bridge jumping, etc. Maybe backwards while boarding? I haven't tried that one yet.

Good to know! Thanks

fskof
12-26-2013, 06:28 PM
Now that you have the Go Pro you need to purchase the DJI Phantom http://www.dji.com/product/phantom/

So you can make video's like this:

http://youtu.be/30HDdocMyAk

Double D
12-26-2013, 06:51 PM
Now that you have the Go Pro you need to purchase the DJI Phantom http://www.dji.com/product/phantom/

So you can make video's like this:

Chasing summers!! Love it!! I plan to get similar footage this year just hope it's half as good as that video.

MikeyOrange88
12-26-2013, 09:23 PM
My wife surprised me with a new GoPro Hero 3+ Black, my first, for Christmas.
Already love it. Download the GoPro app. for your iphone5. Really works well. Gives a preview of the camera view so you don't come home with the images clipped off. Also has all the settings available. Man this hi-tec stuff is cool.
She also had in the stocking a 32GB MicroSDHC Card. Haven't used it yet, but going to strap it onto something this weekend!

Covi
12-27-2013, 06:44 PM
Mikey- You're going to love it. Before you load the 32gb sd card check out the requirements for your camera. I believe you'll need the 64gb to be able to fully utilize all of your functions.

My wife surprised me with a new GoPro Hero 3+ Black, my first, for Christmas.
Already love it. Download the GoPro app. for your iphone5. Really works well. Gives a preview of the camera view so you don't come home with the images clipped off. Also has all the settings available. Man this hi-tec stuff is cool.
She also had in the stocking a 32GB MicroSDHC Card. Haven't used it yet, but going to strap it onto something this weekend!

Double D
12-27-2013, 06:53 PM
Mikey- You're going to love it. Before you load the 32gb sd card check out the requirements for your camera. I believe you'll need the 64gb to be able to fully utilize all of your functions.

Is that true? I have the Hero3 Silver. Am I limiting something by only having a 16 gig card?

MikeyOrange88
12-27-2013, 09:22 PM
Will do. With the 32GB in it and set to 1080P Superview, it is indicating 2 hr. 15 min. record time on the screen. Was planning on a trial bike ride this weekend to get used to the device. Was going to set it 'down' a bit anyway for these trial runs. But you're probably right if you want to record in 4k resolution, a 64 GB would probably be needed. I believe a smaller SD Card will just yield less record time, right.

Double D: A Silver records up to 1080P (without Superview, which is a larger image area, taking more data), so again a smaller card will yield less record time. A 16 should still give a fairly long record time though at 1080P.

All of the Hero 3 models (Black, Silver and White) do require the faster Class 10 SD cards though.

Still pretty new with the equipment, so hopefully haven't misstated any facts.

Double D
12-27-2013, 10:13 PM
Will do. With the 32GB in it and set to 1080P Superview, it is indicating 2 hr. 15 min. record time on the screen. Was planning on a trial bike ride this weekend to get used to the device. Was going to set it 'down' a bit anyway for these trial runs. But you're probably right if you want to record in 4k resolution, a 64 GB would probably be needed. I believe a smaller SD Card will just yield less record time, right.

Double D: A Silver records up to 1080P (without Superview, which is a larger image area, taking more data), so again a smaller card will yield less record time. A 16 should still give a fairly long record time though at 1080P.

All of the Hero 3 models (Black, Silver and White) do require the faster Class 10 SD cards though.

Still pretty new with the equipment, so hopefully haven't misstated any facts.

Thanks! I always take video at the max resolution because don't want to get something, then be pissed in not in 1080. I get 2 hours 15 minutes. I did read that the cards have to be the faster class so made sure I had that.

Stefan
12-28-2013, 08:44 AM
You never can have too much storage...

64GB Samsung, switched to Samsung from a SanDisk which gave me too much troubles

edit: in a 3Black

h2oskifreak
12-28-2013, 11:33 AM
My gift was a gopro "white". I see that it was $199 at Best Buy. Silver looks to be $299 and Black $399. I am the furthest thing in the world for a techie, and think I will have limited use of the unit. Snorkeling on trips and slalom course at 34 mph and up to 35' off and on a good day a few balls at 38. Is the white going to work for me, or should I spend 1-200 more before I use the one I was gifted?

MikeyOrange88
12-28-2013, 08:00 PM
Look at GoPro.com to see a comparison of the resolutions etc. the Black comes with the wifi remote which is an $80 extra for the other two models. The white does have wifi built into it though so it should be very capable. It's all new to me too. Try it out, I doubt you can go wrong. If you want more out of it, then you can upgrade.

clrussell
04-09-2014, 12:44 PM
Anyone know if best buy has gopro accessories? Or which store would? I messed around and didn't order any before and I need them by Saturday!!

Looking for a floaty door, suction cup mount, memory card and spare battery.

OHIOPRO205
04-09-2014, 01:35 PM
The best buy close to me has every accessory they make.

clrussell
04-09-2014, 01:36 PM
The best buy close to me has every accessory they make.

Good to hear! I'll be going by a couple on my way to the airport so ill stop in

GoneBoatN
04-09-2014, 03:01 PM
Anyone know if best buy has gopro accessories? Or which store would? I messed around and didn't order any before and I need them by Saturday!!

Looking for a floaty door, suction cup mount, memory card and spare battery.

You will also find them in just about any sporting goods store. For example, Sports Chalet...

2010Prostar197
04-09-2014, 04:35 PM
Walmart seems to carry all the GoPro stuff. Same price as Bestbuy

Was just looking at them 15 minutes ago. Cool play toy!

geshields
04-09-2014, 10:57 PM
I have this mount on the tower camera that rotates with the rope.

http://gopro.com/camera-mounts/roll-bar-mount

Works awesome and will then always follow the rider. I had the stereo shop add a power cord for the GoPro also because I was tired of running out of battery.

clrussell
04-11-2014, 08:15 PM
Found everything I was looking for, hate to say where but I found it at the local walmarts.. I hate Walmart 95% of the time but it saved me today!

H2ORidr
04-11-2014, 11:10 PM
Ok, I am a bit of a junkie with GoPros so I hope to not throw up too much knowledge that I have learned, but here goes my stream of consciousness ( I have had a Hero 2 for ~3 years and the Hero 3+ black for 3 months and I have probably a thousand hours of recorded video):

Beware of the Hero 3s because there are old models out there. I just got the Hero 3+ which is the newest model. If you order from Amazon they will point out the sellers that have the older model. When my wife recently bought my Hero 3 she ordered the wrong one and Amazon clearly said it was not the 3+ and thus not the most recent. I immediately turned around the changed the order. The first production lots had firmware problems. The 3+ supposedly does not have those issues.

I love the Hero 3+ on my droid. It works well wirelessly and the remote is VERY nice. The remote is waterproof so that makes turning the camera on and off a breeze.

If you get them wet immediately take the battery out and the memory card out. Shake the camera of water. Put it in a sealed container of rice and put it on your car's dashboard for 3-4 days. It will work fine. Don't ask me how I know this. If you get it wet in salt water do the same thing but rinse the camera for ~20 minutes with non-salt water. Repeat the same drying process.

Do NOT skimp on the memory cards. Class 10 is required for the new cameras. Be sure even the class 10 you are getting is capable of the fast write speeds. If you want to take burst photos and want to take 30 of them in one second, there are HUGE differences in the card's write speeds. One can handle the writing in a few seconds, another one may take over a minute. Search on the GoPro site for recommended brands, and model numbers of cards.

I have heard and even seen where 64 gig cards are a problem. There seems to be some glitches that cause issues. Most hard core GoPro camera folks just up to a 32 and no higher. The 16s and 32s are rock solid. It seems to be better to get 2 smaller cards rather than the one big one.

I have heard of people having problems when the offload their videos from their cards. I have an external hard drive for my PC and I take everything on the card and offload it entirely to the hard drive. Then I work with the video on the hard drive. Then I delete EVERYTHING off the card. I have heard of several people erasing some videos from their card and not all and the card get corrupted. They capture more videos but the videos are not "terminated" and so they are not able to be read. I have a good friend that just had ~6 hours of epic video skiing lost because he used a partially cleaned off card. The card if full of stuff recorded the day he went out, but none of the files are readable. I found that it is better to play it safe and move the stuff off the card, verify it is on the hard drive and readable, and then delete everything off the card. I have never had a problem when I do it this way.

Extra batteries are a must. The Wabasi or whatever they are called are what I use and they are rock solid. Amazon has them cheap. They also come with a plug-in charger so you can charge one battery while using the others.

Helmet mounts are shaky. If you want really good images put the camera on a pole. MUCH better images. There are nice poles out there that expand from ~12" to 42" and they also float (with the camera having a floaty back door) and the images are 100X better at the end of a pole. Try it and you will see how much better it makes the images.

When you mount on skis or a board, remember the angle you are viewing the rider. I have seen way too many nice videos where I was essentially staring at the person's crotch the whole time. I've seen plenty of up-swimsuit shots that were NOT pretty. For this reason I rarely mount on a board or ski anymore.

The suction cups do come loose. Be ready, be prepared. They make loop holders that mount near where you clamp the suction down and it provides a tether place for the camera. They are worth their weight in gold. They come with loops of nylon string that attach to the hinge of the camera's door. Verify that the mount and the camera will float before trusting to to stay on something.

On snow, especially powder, a tether is a *MUST*. I know of two people that took spills on skis and their cameras came off their helmets, adhesive and all, and even though they knew exactly where they fell, they never found their cameras in the snow. I have a tether mount and several times while snowkiting this winter I wiped out and that tether was the only thing keeping the camera out of the snow. Even just a string tied to something and the camera is a good idea. Cold can make an adhesive stiff and it will break if it gets below its glass transition temperature.

GoPro Studio is free and it is a great way to edit video. It is like MS Moviemaker yet better in some ways. For example if you record upside down, Studio allows flipping the image over with one button. Other programs force you to record with the camera settings for upside down recording (which the GoPro does very easily).

I have both cameras and yet I have probably twice as much cost in mounts. The mounts and accessories are what make the camera system great. Just be sure to not trust everything and make sure every mount has a back up catch system. As I said even a string through the hinge of the door and tied to something is a good backup. I have seen and heard of many, many people losing the cameras because they trusted their mounts too much.

There is a guy I found has GREAT videos on the GoPros on Youtube and his name is Kyle Martin. He has videos on everything and seems to know his stuff. Here is one of his videos with links to the rest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS6sbZpaUc8

Latin Flyer
04-14-2014, 12:12 AM
Settings question: why would i use other than 1080? I cannot find the answer in plain NON technical language.
Ive been use 720/30 just because it,s easier to review on my iphone.
Can some one elaborate on thsi?
Thanks

kgrove
04-14-2014, 12:18 AM
two quick reasons:
1) file size - more resolution = bigger files, less storage capacity per memory card, more space on your hard drive.
2) frames per second - some of the lower resolutions allow you to increase the frames per second which is great if you want to slow a section down. 30fps looks a little choppy if you cut the speed down where a high fps will still look smooth.

there may be other reasons but these come to mind first.

Latin Flyer
04-14-2014, 08:12 AM
Thanks kgrove, one more question then, would I be able to see the difference on a tv at the naked eye with normal speed between 1080 and 720?

roush611
04-15-2014, 11:24 PM
Thanks kgrove, one more question then, would I be able to see the difference on a tv at the naked eye with normal speed between 1080 and 720?

Yes but I would not say a huge difference.

Aric'sX15
04-16-2014, 12:02 AM
Probably gonna pic up a go pro in the next few weeks. Making a TX-CA trip in one shot, I wanna make a time lapse out of it!

clrussell
04-16-2014, 06:23 AM
Probably gonna pic up a go pro in the next few weeks. Making a TX-CA trip in one shot, I wanna make a time lapse out of it!

Better get a couple batteries! I havnt tried the battery pak thing yet, looks like it makes the battery a lot bigger and comes with a new door. I used time lapse for about 5 hours and my battery was dead