PDA

View Full Version : Very high hour boats with new motors and trans

gsxrjtt
12-18-2013, 03:12 PM
Hi.. Whats everyones opinions about Very high hour boats but with new motors and freshened up Transmissions.. ?? .. and It looks great inside and out well maintained everything works ran before great, but everything was just taken out and freshened up because of the hours

madcityskier
12-18-2013, 03:14 PM
Case by case basis.

CantRepeat
12-18-2013, 03:25 PM
Yup, case by case and need to have receipts for everything. Even if a new motor I think the fact that the boat has been ridding that many hours it still decreases the value.

JohnE
12-18-2013, 03:27 PM
What is considered very high hours. More than what? 1000? 1500? 2000? 2500? 3000? I wouldn't consider anything very high hours until they topped 2000.

mikeg205
12-18-2013, 03:48 PM
+1 on all of the above... close inspection would be required

aquaman
12-18-2013, 04:15 PM
Hours are not the only measure......

A high hour boat that was on a private ski lake maybe very tight, if well maintained.

While a lower hour boat that was run hard in rough water, left in the weather, and not maintained might be a bad deal.

cruiser
12-18-2013, 04:20 PM
First impression tells a lot. Maintenance records and a compression test tell the REST OF THE STORY.

mzimme
12-18-2013, 04:40 PM
I'm more interested in the kind of things the owner reveals when I talk to them, and how the price reflects what he says. You can usually tell a boat that's been well maintained, or at least maintained with $$$ (pay the mechanic). If its in bad shape, the price better reflect that. Case in point: the reason I own a supra...

soacj
12-18-2013, 04:45 PM
There very well could be extenuating circumstances, but it seems odd that someone would replace/"freshen up" the motor and trans if there were no problems (despite the hours) only to turn around and sell it.

aquaman
12-18-2013, 04:46 PM
I'm more interested in the kind of things the owner reveals when I talk to them, and how the price reflects what he says. You can usually tell a boat that's been well maintained, or at least maintained with $$$ (pay the mechanic). If its in bad shape, the price better reflect that. Case in point: the reason I own a supra...

I have always found there to be many low hour boats on the market, often at good deals. People buy things then dont use them, or get in a pinch and need the money.

You may have to shop awhile until one comes up, but i would rather do that than wonder about when a high hour boat was going to zonk ?

gsxrjtt
12-18-2013, 05:03 PM
Thanks everyone.. So some people arnt scared of them some are.. OBV price would reflect in a selling of a boat .. but if you could save yourself 10k. . just seems like a boat that could be outa someones price range puts it in it.

jafo9
12-18-2013, 05:10 PM
...new motors and freshened up Transmissions...

out of the box new? remanufactured? work done by MC dealer or shade tree mechanic?

i wouldn't be scared of high hours, you can use it as a great bargaining chip. biggest problem i see is when you go to sell it. you may have to deal with a lot of "scared" buyers because of the hours.

mzimme
12-18-2013, 05:28 PM
I have always found there to be many low hour boats on the market, often at good deals. People buy things then dont use them, or get in a pinch and need the money.

You may have to shop awhile until one comes up, but i would rather do that than wonder about when a high hour boat was going to zonk ?

Yeah I agree... my boat had 580 hours on it when I bought it, but the boat was a 2006 and sat on a private lake, so it was a boat that had been used about 100 hours per year. That right there tells me the thing wasn't broken down all the time, and seals would have been lubed. I talked to the guys mechanic and he vouched for winterizing it every year, and keeping up on the maintenance. The drivetrain was what I was interested in being in good shape, the cosmetic stuff can be fixed later. I took a chance and bought the boat without a water test (it was February and winterized). My boat runs flawlessly. Its an 06 20ft v-drive, has a heater, tower, full stereo, perfect pass, ballast, etc. Basically, a loaded boat back in 06. It booked for anywhere from 30-34k in good-excellent shape. This one was in poor shape, but the drivetrain is great. I gave 17k. That's the kind of deal I look for... ;)

madcityskier
12-18-2013, 05:53 PM
Yeah, but you whored yourself out to a whole new brand for a couple bucks. (Kidding, that is a sweet ride.)

To some extent a running motor is part of the expected it rice of a boat. I don't think you can buy a boat, throw in an engine and expect it to be worth as much more as you spent. Source is important, and for a local sale warranty is worth something. But a boat with a new engine I want to know what happened to the old one. Also, it better have been used a bit since the work was done.

mzimme
12-18-2013, 06:29 PM
Yeah, but you whored yourself out to a whole new brand for a couple bucks. (Kidding, that is a sweet ride.)

This is true... and I've been shunned for it. Glad you folks are an understanding group ;)

gsxrjtt
12-18-2013, 06:49 PM
I see what every one is saying. But let me ask this... if your on a budget and other average boats are selling for 35k and you have the chance to buy it for 25k ???? whats your thinking

Aric'sX15
12-18-2013, 06:51 PM
Need more info. Hours pics etc...

gsxrjtt
12-18-2013, 06:58 PM
in process of deal sent dep just waiting to check out myself.. would like to wait on that info

mzimme
12-18-2013, 06:59 PM
I see what every one is saying. But let me ask this... if your on a budget and other average boats are selling for 35k and you have the chance to buy it for 25k ???? whats your thinking

Depends if you can afford the boat the time, and whether you're in the market or not.... Anytime I'm getting something for 10k under book value, or at a value I could make back with no problem at all in a few years, and I'm in the market... I'd spring on it. I'm all about the deal though. Buying something at a good deal makes it an easily liquid asset that can be unloaded quickly if needed. If you have a 35k loan on a 35k dollar boat, you need to get 35k for it. If you have a 25k loan on a 35k boat, you can still dump the boat for 25k and free yourself of that loan if you had to do it. If it's a good deal to YOU now, it's a good deal to someone else. That's my thought process on stuff like this. And hell, it saves you a crapton of money.

Aric'sX15
12-18-2013, 07:05 PM
Cant help you then. Lol

aquaman
12-18-2013, 07:28 PM
This is true... and I've been shunned for it. Glad you folks are an understanding group ;)

Seems you are still able to post your views here ?
Since you own a Supra we have to assume you like it better than MasterCraft ?

I dont think any TT members will shun you, but it is a MasterCraft luv fest here most of the time.:rolleyes:

Does Supra have an online forum ?

barefoot
12-18-2013, 07:34 PM
High hour boats never bothered me. On the ski team, we pounded hours on the boats each season, but they were driven by people that knew how to drive them. They were maintained like clock work. We needed them to preform.

I see more low hour boats that look like trash then high hour boats. A lake test will reveal a lot. I've always though that if there are a bunch of hours on a boat, the person is using it. There will be some maintenance to involved. They should have the receipts to back it up.

scott023
12-18-2013, 07:53 PM
That would have to be determined on a boat by boat basis, IMO.

Aric'sX15
12-18-2013, 08:20 PM
That would have to be determined on a boat by boat basis, IMO.

X2. Only reason I asked for pics and hours.

madcityskier
12-18-2013, 09:22 PM
Kind of a dick move. He is very knowledgeable and here to help others. The fact that he got a deal too good to pass up has nothing to do with anything. In fact, I seem to recall posts that he was looking forward to upgrading to a MasterCraft vdrive someday. Why launch an attack at someone for no reason?

I dont think any TT members will shun you, but it is a MasterCraft luv fest here most of the time.:rolleyes:

atihanyi
12-18-2013, 09:38 PM
drove and skied 2 identical 197's one had 200 hours on had 1400 but new from mc engine installed by mc dealer trans was still original . boats drove very different from another . the high hour hull drove loose and tracking wasn't as tight also shifted harder . tracking fin and rudder were not damaged . I would plan on replacing steering cable and other wearable items but to save 10g as long as it was done professionally by a mc dealer why not? `

TxsRiverRat
12-18-2013, 11:27 PM
A high hour boat that was on a private ski lake maybe very tight, if well maintained.

I found out to be quite the opposite. Boats on the private lake many times a piece of junk

mzimme
12-20-2013, 10:14 PM

My first ski boat was an 83 skier. I loved it, but it didn't let me play like I wanted to play on the water. I'd say I'm pretty reserved about the boat I have now. I like it, got a great deal on it, and enjoy it. The mastercraft lovefest rocks. I love mc's. However, I couldn't buy an 06 MC v drive for under 20 grand, so I settled for something else. That okay with you?

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.

Cloaked
12-20-2013, 10:16 PM
My first ski boat was an 83 skier. I loved it, but it didn't let me play like I wanted to play on the water. I'd say I'm pretty reserved about the boat I have now. I like it, got a great deal on it, and enjoy it. The mastercraft lovefest rocks. I love mc's. However, I couldn't buy an 06 MC v drive for under 20 grand, so I settled for something else. That okay with you?

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.A friend of mine that I usually run into on the lake has a Supra Launch set up for waking.... Nice boat indeed. Supra makes a good product. I'd like to see more pictures of your machine....

aquaman
12-20-2013, 11:16 PM
Kind of a dick move. Him is very knowledgeable and here to help others. The fact that he got a deal too good to pass up has nothing to do with anything. In fact, I seem to recall posts that he was looking forward to upgrading to a MasterCraft vdrive someday. Why launch an attack at someone for no reason?

An Attack? I disagree.

What other Small words are in your vocabulary MadSkier ?

I only stated the obvious. It is a Mastercraft users + owners forum that does welcome opposing viewpoints.

Perhaps we should open the forum to Sea Ray owners, Bayliner and FourWinns owners to post their opions of MasterCraft? If they all got really good deals on their boats then it would all be OK ?
Of course they would all have to aspire to own a Mastercraft, under your guidelines.

My point is its difficult to have a knowledgeable opinion about a Mastercraft if you have not owned one. A Supra owner would have more in common with other Supra owners.

Maybe you secretly want to own a Supra.....but your wife wont let you ?

mzimme
12-20-2013, 11:31 PM
An Attack? I disagree.

I only stated the obvious. It is a Mastercraft users + owners forum that does welcome opposing viewpoints.

Perhaps we should open the forum to Sea Ray owners, Bayliner and FourWinns owners to post their opions of MasterCraft? If they all got really good deals on their boats then it would all be OK ?
Of course they would all have to aspire to own a Mastercraft, under your guidelines.

My point is its difficult to have a knowledgeable opinion about a Mastercraft if you have not owned one. A Supra owner would have more in common with other Supra owners.

Yep... hard to have an opinion of a MasterCraft when you haven't owned one. Thankfully I have, and I loved it. Maybe you've seen it before?

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u99/zimstang/water4.jpg (http://s166.photobucket.com/user/zimstang/media/water4.jpg.html)

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u99/zimstang/IMG_3088.jpg (http://s166.photobucket.com/user/zimstang/media/IMG_3088.jpg.html)

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u99/zimstang/IMG_3090.jpg (http://s166.photobucket.com/user/zimstang/media/IMG_3090.jpg.html)

By the way... that MC banner still hangs over my stupid supra.

What opposing viewpoint did I have here anyway? I was simply going over the fact that good deal is a good deal. Regardless of what make you purchase, it makes sense to buy something at a great price. I guess you know nothing of getting (or giving) good deals though, considering you're trying to unload a 1993 for 27 thousand dollars... which is probably why your boats been for sale for over a year and a half. No knowledgeable MC guy would disagree with me on that point though, would they?

Aric'sX15
12-20-2013, 11:36 PM
Lol'ing at the mastercraft elitist statement. Is it possible that mzimme likes us and enjoys the copius amounts of info that is offered on this site? He owned a Mastercraft, so i see lack of comprehension on your end. His signature clearly says he owned an 83 skier. If I dont currently own an mc am not welcome here either, yet ive grown up with them? Your logic makes little sense to me.

In my opinion, all are welcome here unless you're here to troll!

SSMoose
12-21-2013, 12:01 AM
Elitist? Only MC peeps can be accused of that. My 83 Skier is the finest watercraft I have ever owned. Maybe I could do better but I really don't see how.

madcityskier
12-21-2013, 12:19 AM
He has owned one. He has done significant work on one. I would dare say he is more knowledgeable about MasterCrafts than many on this forum. My guidelines? I resent you trying to put words in my mouth. You're the one with guidelines, trying to ask what they're doing here. I have seen plenty of people here who own other brands of boats. If you want to know what their opinions of MasterCraft are consider that they come to this forum even though they don't own one.
I don't get why you would want to go after someone. As far as "secretly wanting to own a Supra", is that supposed to be an insult? Supra makes a very nice boat. I get behind one quite a bit. I also get out on everything from Ebbtide to Nautique to ChrisCraft. I love my Stars and Stripes, but I am not so blind as to think that no other boat has merits. Heck, I've spent a decent bit of time on an Infinity. Rob Shirley designed that, is that ok with you? I dare say it's a heck of a boat. Of all of them though there isn't one I would trade mine for. Looked at several newer MasterCrafts, just found that I had much less excitement about them than I do about the idea of going for a ride in the one we bought in 1985. As far as opening the forum to owners of Bayliners and SeaRays, I'm pretty sure it's not closed to them. Get over yourself, this isn't some segregated country club where we lock the gate to keep people out. Try being welcoming and friendly and we can ALL get along.
An Attack? I disagree.

XtwentyNot
12-21-2013, 12:36 AM
Aquaman your point is invalid due to petty attacks and never seeing Zims gorgeous S&S with over 700 posts.

I hope you find your insults amusing, feel free to throw some at me if it makes you feel better and keeps you from hitting your wife.

madcityskier
12-21-2013, 01:03 AM
Aquaman your point is invalid due to petty attacks and never seeing Zims gorgeous S&S with over 700 posts.

I hope you find your insults amusing, feel free to throw some at me if it makes you feel better and keeps you from hitting your wife.

OMG! No boat, you aren't welcome here. Please refrain from ever posting here again.
;-)

XtwentyNot
12-21-2013, 01:29 AM
OMG! No boat, you aren't welcome here. Please refrain from ever posting here again.

;-)

I know, I never saw the rules of joining this elite club. Please forgive me. My buddy who owns a Glastron is going to be devastated, he loves this place!

I got a boat since I joined, it fit my budget.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/21/e9ubemyb.jpg

I hope I don't get booted!
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/21/u9y5yge2.jpg

madcityskier
12-21-2013, 01:35 AM
I gotta go clean up some beer off the couch. Came right out of my nose.

wheelerd
12-21-2013, 02:52 AM
I can't quite make out the brand of that floating picnic table. Not sure if it's legit for this forum.:D

Not to flog this dead horse any more but let's not forget that Eastie has forgotten more about MC's than most of us will ever know and he currently owns a non-MC boat. He still seems to be welcome here!

XtwentyNot
12-21-2013, 04:04 AM
Eastie's sig says it all!

gsxrjtt
12-21-2013, 10:45 AM
Ahh cmon everyone we all can get along .. just trying to get a read on a 2007-2008 X1 with over 2000 hours.. but Full Maintenance records Very clean inside and out.

Ryan
12-21-2013, 12:03 PM
I came really close to buying other branded boats the first and second time. Most of use just care about having a good time on the water. I've been glad to ski behind a pontoon a couple times last summer. There are no required qualifications to be on here other than to follow the posting guidelines and in general be civil to each other. No one's getting kicked off of here because they own another brand. I'm a member of almost every inboard forum and as such accept others to come on this forum to hang out. Who knows if a-hole MC owners don't jade them, maybe they'll buy one day. I think that and building loyalty was MCs objective when they started this forum.

Some of you are getting a little moody and it ain't cool.
Have a pull. And if it's too cold where you live, enjoy my new meme.
[I have better copy line, but the double entendre would likely get it removed]

Aric'sX15
12-21-2013, 12:11 PM
Ahh cmon everyone we all can get along .. just trying to get a read on a 2007-2008 X1 with over 2000 hours.. but Full Maintenance records Very clean inside and out.

Yikes thats a lot. I wouldnt pay 25k retail for that!

madcityskier
12-21-2013, 12:21 PM
Can you get it at a price that allows you to rebuild engine and tranny without being upside down on it? If so jump on it. The other parts that will need to be replaced can wear out, but they can also corrode from lack of use. You'll always be replacing something anyway.

gsxrjtt
12-21-2013, 12:22 PM
It's getting NEW motor with warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Aric'sX15
12-21-2013, 12:37 PM
If you could reset the hour meter id do it. Haha

Ryan
12-21-2013, 12:43 PM
It's getting NEW motor with warranty

If you're planning to own it for many years to come and get more boat than you could otherwise afford it's a great option. If you can get it for $30k with most or all worn items replaced too, go for it. Otherwise, I'd suggest looking for a good deal on one in good condition over the winter. Or if you think you'll only have the boat for a couple years be careful because you won't recoup the cost of the engine and tranny. Can the engine and tranny just be rebuilt to save some money? Does the boat run? If so, you could buy it for cheap and add the new powertrain later.

By worn items I mean new vinyl & maybe carpet
New steering cable
New cutlass bearing on the strut
New ballast impellers
Possibly new board rack pads, and new handle pulls if the racks were used a lot.

Ryan
12-21-2013, 12:49 PM
Wait - I should've asked a couple of questions.
Does the boat run?
Will they be replacing the engine with a crate engine (so it looks different than an indmar)?
Will the new engine just be a long-block and have all the Indmar goodies bolted on?

gsxrjtt
12-21-2013, 12:57 PM
Boat has new interior.. Boat is for resale but I'll be using it for the mean time. Getting new long block from local place who supplied my mastercraft dealer with their new motors. Will have pics up in an hour or so boAt runs great right now just has low comp in 1 cyl 135psi do just going to replace with new motor for next owner

Ryan
12-21-2013, 01:38 PM
Boat has new interior.. Boat is for resale but I'll be using it for the mean time. Getting new long block from local place who supplied my mastercraft dealer with their new motors. Will have pics up in an hour or so boAt runs great right now just has low comp in 1 cyl 135psi do just going to replace with new motor for next owner

Sounds like you've got a head start. How's the trailer?

Aric'sX15
12-21-2013, 02:51 PM
So its practically a new boat. If the hull is in good shape thats a good buy!

gsxrjtt
12-21-2013, 03:13 PM

XtwentyNot
12-21-2013, 04:58 PM
Happy ending!

Aric'sX15
12-21-2013, 06:22 PM
Are those the 06 boardrack wings?

gsxrjtt
12-21-2013, 06:54 PM
No in 07 they they have the turn, locking style. posting more pics now.

gsxrjtt
12-21-2013, 06:56 PM

gsxrjtt
12-21-2013, 06:59 PM

mzimme
12-21-2013, 07:01 PM
Nice boat! Congrats.

aquaman
12-21-2013, 08:32 PM

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.

mizzme....

Please go back and read my first post. Your pal madcity launched off on a tirade because he claims it was an "attack" Really ? I think he needs to grow up.

Was my sin to ASK if a Supra forum existed ?? That question was not answered. Instead I was berated for being "elitist"? How does that work?

I said Nothing derogatory about you or your boat, nor have I ever been critical of anyone on this forum. Luckily it is possible to voice your opinion on most matters here without Being attacked by other TT members.

There are however some TT posters that periodically feel the need to draw attention to themselves with excessive Drama.

:rolleyes:

Ryan
12-22-2013, 01:23 AM
Looks good. Do you feel good about the price?
I bet the vinyl wrinkles will settle after it's been in the sun. Or pull & adjust a couple staples.
A guide pole and you'll be all set. The trailer doesn't look faded at all.

I think Aric is on to something with the board racks ('07s had black in-lays and a few pattern drilled holes. But if they work, who cares if they weren't from the canonized right build list, right?

A BI bracket mounted to a front tower leg like that is new - I've not seen that approach before. Any spider cracks?

gsxrjtt
12-22-2013, 09:26 AM
The boat is actually really nice boat have a couple tter's ask what itll sell for before or after a new motor.. No spider cracks only found one dime size gel coat nick that needs to be looked at. The bracket was for a bare foot boom that will be taken off and sold to anyone who is interested in one. Another TT member on here is coming by today BOUYHEAD.. So ill have him take another look as a separate opinion for anyone. As some know he is the one who did the ZR6 motor swap in his 190. I also got a book with about 20-25 pages of service and other work done to this boat.

Aric'sX15
12-22-2013, 09:48 AM
Well I know someone that has an 06 that needs those boardrack wings, that also has the 07 ones! Lol