PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a new transmission? Ugh

stu
12-16-2013, 03:15 PM
Hello Teamtalk,

I haven't been on the forum in a long while. I hope everyone's well and your boats ran well this summer. My boat sat for two years until this early summer when I took it to the dealer where they gave it a going over and replaced fluids and filters etc. I then took it out on the water and it started fine and sounded good as I slowly made my way out of the marina. Once out on the river I put the throttle down and accelerated nicely, BUT before I reached a full plane the motor suddenly revved up loudly to the max, surging, and lost all power to the propellor. Bringing the hand throttle back did nothing to the high revs and I had to turn the ignition key to shut the engine off. Upon restart same thing: loud max revving, but going no where. Got a tow back to the marina and put boat back on the trailer by hand.

So it's just been sitting since then (with heat bulbs in the engine compartment since it's not winterized.) For a lot of very longtime reasons, I'm gonna try out a new mechanic, but I would really love any ideas you guys have. You have been so incredibly helpful in the past.

A little more info for you: One, I haven't tried to restart it with my fake a lake, but if I put it in gear unstarted, forward or reverse, the prop can be spun by hand with a bit of effort. Two, there appears to be water in the oil. Now this could be due to it sitting and getting rainwater in it ( I never removed the bilge drain plugs -- I thought I had it covered and rain protected, but there was 20-30 secs water pumped from the forward bilge today when I moved the boat. However there was definitely not enough water in it to cover the brass vent for the oil -- that would have required a whole lot more water in the bilge to get up to that.)

So my hope is that I don't need a whole new transmission, and that the "pressure plate" or coupler came apart and needs to be replaced or reassembled. Any ideas on how to diagnosis this problem myself further? What is likelihood that I lost my whole transmission like that completely and instantaneously in one fell swoop? More likely that it's just a problem with the pressure plate on the transmission?

Thank you guys very very much for this and so much help in the past.

Stu
my boat '05 X2 w/ Rpt-1

mikeg205
12-16-2013, 03:28 PM
Was the trans fluid milky? that abrupt loss of power and hi revs has me concerned - also what happened that you had to kill the engine by turning off ignition.

Do you have some pictures of the oil? How was the level of your fluid?

mzimme
12-16-2013, 03:44 PM
If you look at the motor and push the throttle forward and back, can you see the linkage cable opening and closing the butterfly at your throttle body? Sitting that long may have bound the cable in its housing and when you pulled back on the throttle it may have snapped altogether, leaving your throttle useless. Might check that to confirm the hand throttle is actually moving something both at the transmission, and at the throttle body.

stu
12-16-2013, 03:51 PM
Was the trans fluid milky?

Yes sorry I mispoke, it is the transmission fluid that is all milky and has water in it, not the oil. I just dropped the boat with the new mechanic twenty minutes ago, so I can't check the other things. I assume the oil was fine before the problem since it was replace by previous mechanic just before the problem occurred.

mzimme
12-16-2013, 03:54 PM
If the trans is milky, you may get away with flushing it a few times to get all the water out. Let us know when you hear from your mechanic.

drschemel
12-16-2013, 03:56 PM
Sound like 2 separate issues at same time. One with the throttle control and the other with the tranmission. Do you think that the transmmission could have slipped into neurtal at the same time that the throttle stuck? Maybe your problem is entirely in the throttle control. I'm no expert, but maybe someone on here that has seen the throttle apart will know if this is a possibility.

FrankSchwab
12-16-2013, 04:04 PM
It sounds real likely that the throttle cable is broken or hung up some way. That's a reasonably cheap repair.

It's entirely possible that the transmission cable is broken also, such that the transmission went back to idle. You'd get no forward or backward coming out of the transmission.

Another possibility is that perhaps the button on the throttle got pulled out and got stuck due to the long layoff, disconnecting the throttle arm from the transmission. Once again, no forward or backward.

stu
12-16-2013, 04:34 PM
Ok thank you major issues identified. New mechanic is saying that water in the transmission fluid can cause the hydraulic clutch plates not to work at all, and he will look at it. His brief look at the throttle cable didn't see a problem. Note transmission cable. I'll keep you posted. Thank you very much.

mikeg205
12-16-2013, 05:48 PM
Ok thank you major issues identified. New mechanic is saying that water in the transmission fluid can cause the hydraulic clutch plates not to work at all, and he will look at it. His brief look at the throttle cable didn't see a problem. Note transmission cable. I'll keep you posted. Thank you very much.

Hopefully clutch plates did not go for a spin - rootin' for a cheap fix.... 2005 drive by wire no?

stu
12-17-2013, 10:56 AM
Hopefully clutch plates did not go for a spin - rootin' for a cheap fix.... 2005 drive by wire no?

I hope so too. Yes it's drive by wire. I forgot about the throttle cable issues I had in in 09 so maybe there is more than one problem going on like was said above.

Thank you.

Stu

snork
12-17-2013, 11:02 AM
change tranny fluid and filter