PDA

View Full Version : Who is using the Perko Flush Pro?

kevkan
12-10-2013, 10:03 PM
Winterizing got me thinking I should invest in a Perko Flush Pro. Could be so handy for sucking antifreeze in for winterizing, and just warming engine up to change oil. Is there a negative aspect?

rgardjr1
12-10-2013, 10:16 PM
Winterizing got me thinking I should invest in a Perko Flush Pro. Could be so handy for sucking antifreeze in for winterizing, and just warming engine up to change oil. Is there a negative aspect?

My Saltwater Series came with one installed. I use it to warm up the oil before I change it in the fall and to check for leaks before I put the boat in the spring. Only negative I can see is that it's one more part that can break. They're made of plastic, but no problems with mine yet.

trickskier
12-11-2013, 09:27 AM
I have one installed on my X1 and love it. I go on the St. Johns River every now and then and use the Flush Pro to flush the brackish water.

Ryan
12-11-2013, 09:37 AM

It will be very useful for warming up the engine but will not have an ability to suck in antifreeze. The valve is spring loaded and relies on pressure (normally from a garden hose) to close the valve to the raw water intake. If you can replicate that pressure with an elevated bucket of antifreeze it could work, but I suspect the bucket would have to be 50' high to get the job done well.

If you get one and live in cold climates, I suggest getting at least a cap full of antifreeze in it to prevent cracking.

I used to be able to winterize my DD in 30 min. I've got some work to do to simplify the process. I'm looking to put in a T or Y valve with a garden hose fitting on my new boat to achieve the goal to both run in the driveway and suck in antifreeze. With this and other additions, I think I can cut winterizing down to 1 hour.

JerryW
12-11-2013, 10:03 AM
I used one for about 10 years, only problem was a leak developed around one of the seams, and some epoxy fixed that. They do have a fitting that presses down on the ball valve so that water or antifreeze can be sucked in.

kevkan
12-11-2013, 10:14 AM
Ryan: It comes with a little plunger thing to prop open the spring loaded valve, so you can suck antifreeze out of a 5 gallon bucket.

I've got a 2008 X-1, and it is way more difficult to winterize than my old DD. Funny thing, the hardest part of the DD was getting the rusted plugs out of the exhaust manifolds. Draining the exhaust manifolds is the only easy thing on the new engine.

Ryan
12-11-2013, 10:42 AM
News to me, thanks for the update.
I wonder of mine was missing or was thrown out in error.

bsloop
12-11-2013, 10:54 AM
I used one for about 10 years, only problem was a leak developed around one of the seams, and some epoxy fixed that. They do have a fitting that presses down on the ball valve so that water or antifreeze can be sucked in.

The original model was like a large and small cylinder stuck together. They would crack at the thin joint area. I had it happened to me.
Current models are much beefier with a thick tapered connection. I have not heard of problems with the revised design.

It will be very useful for warming up the engine but will not have an ability to suck in antifreeze. The valve is spring loaded and relies on pressure (normally from a garden hose) to close the valve to the raw water intake. If you can replicate that pressure with an elevated bucket of antifreeze it could work, but I suspect the bucket would have to be 50' high to get the job done well.

Besides the fitting that comes with the unit (or can be replacement ordered)
I have found a couple strips of duct tape over the scupper seals well and antifreeze sucks easily from a bucket.
Makes for a quick and easy winterize or re-winterize if you get the silly motivation for a New Years run or caught off guard by an early Fall or late Spring cold front.

Bouyhead
12-11-2013, 01:20 PM
Iv'e been using one forever. I permanately attached a hose to the Perko, ran it along the muffler to the rear of the boat, up thru the tank area, and coming back out the gunnel area for quick access. I like the option of flushing the motor while the doghouse is closed.

I did have one crack BTW, but DIM replaced it at no charge.

ccelia
12-11-2013, 01:23 PM
The Perkos certainly make running the boat out of the water and sucking up antifreezing significantly easier.

I've had two (both the new style ones) and one leaks and one doesn't. For the money, I would much rather have a valve with a garden hose hookup.

I am getting ready to pull my Perko out this winter and replace with the brass valve to avoid any leaks. I believe there are a few threads of valves people have put together on this site if you're interested.

sethro
12-11-2013, 08:13 PM
I really like mine. One thing I make sure of each winterization is that the plastic body is filled with antifreeze, as I don't run antifreeze through the whole system after draining...I just add in a few locations by hand.

CantRepeat
12-11-2013, 08:55 PM
I am not using the perko flush nor would I recommend it.

Bouyhead
12-11-2013, 09:25 PM

Please elaborate, a little.;)

CantRepeat
12-12-2013, 07:33 AM

I already have, in countless threads. 8p

coz
12-12-2013, 08:33 AM

He's either using the bucket method, fake a lake or uses what I have on mine >> http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=737662&postcount=7

Nordicron
12-12-2013, 08:41 AM
Maybe buddy had one on his x-15, he pulled it out because it was constantly causing priming issues. He also said it was a huge pain trying to use to suck up antifreeze.

I bought a $1.50 barbed PVC T with hose connector and it works wonderful.

MattsCraft
12-12-2013, 10:24 AM
I had it on my X2, 4 years no problems, sucks anti-freeze no problems using the little insert and closing the raw water intake valve.

Have it factory installed on my X25, sweet having the hose connection on the back of the boat.

Sodar
12-12-2013, 12:27 PM
Had one on my '96 for 5 years without an issue. I wanted to put it on my '07, but there is not enough clearance with where they installed the thru-hull. My actual unit now resides on Trickskier's boat and based on the post above, it has been working for over 10 years on two different boats without any issue.

trickskier
12-15-2013, 06:48 PM
Had one on my '96 for 5 years without an issue. I wanted to put it on my '07, but there is not enough clearance with where they installed the thru-hull. My actual unit now resides on Trickskier's boat and based on the post above, it has been working for over 10 years on two different boats without any issue.

Yep - Working like a champ! Thanks Cameron!!!

Thrall
12-16-2013, 02:32 AM

Me either. Put one on my 06. First time out it wouldn't prime and overheated the engine before I got away from the dock. JMO

kevkan
12-21-2013, 01:16 AM
When you use the "tee" to run the boat out of water, do you have to plug the fresh water intake, or does the impellor just pull the water in?

To suck antifreeze in, what do you do?

rgardjr1
12-21-2013, 02:02 AM
When you use the "tee" to run the boat out of water, do you have to plug the fresh water intake.

I close the raw water intake on valve. Just have to remember to open it back up before I run it in the lake.

BMDWillyZ
12-23-2013, 11:01 PM
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=685&pictureid=4081

Here is my set up (pickup from bottom of boat would be connected to the hose on the right, hose on left goes to raw water pump on the crank shaft of the motor) that I built from parts at Lowes. No restrictions. When I get ready to winterized, I use a camping water container from Wal-Mart that holds 7 gallons. I put a 3/4" npt to 3/4" garden hose fitting in the removable cap. I have a 3 foot section of garden hose that has a ball vale on one end. I connect the camping water container to the garden hose fitting on the intake hose system that I made. Just make sure to turn the ball vale to close when doing this. Check out my photo elbum that has the rest of the photos. Works very well. I live in New York State (sorry, I would move if I could) and we get some cold winters. Haven't had a problem.
I trailer my boat and go to many different lakes in the area. This system allows me to flush / run in my drive way to make sure that I have removed any foreign species in the open cooling system that I don't want to induce into another lake. In the past couple of years we have encountered Zebra mussels in some of the finger lakes. It's is important not to transfer water from one lake to another.

thatsmrmastercraft
12-24-2013, 12:34 AM
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=685&pictureid=4081

Here is my set up (pickup from bottom of boat would be connected to the hose on the right, hose on left goes to raw water pump on the crank shaft of the motor) that I built from parts at Lowes. No restrictions. When I get ready to winterized, I use a camping water container from Wal-Mart that holds 7 gallons. I put a 3/4" npt to 3/4" garden hose fitting in the removable cap. I have a 3 foot section of garden hose that has a ball vale on one end. I connect the camping water container to the garden hose fitting on the intake hose system that I made. Just make sure to turn the ball vale to close when doing this. Check out my photo elbum that has the rest of the photos. Works very well. I live in New York State (sorry, I would move if I could) and we get some cold winters. Haven't had a problem.
I trailer my boat and go to many different lakes in the area. This system allows me to flush / run in my drive way to make sure that I have removed any foreign species in the open cooling system that I don't want to induce into another lake. In the past couple of years we have encountered Zebra mussels in some of the finger lakes. It's is important not to transfer water from one lake to another.

Nicely done. :toast:

sallen
12-30-2013, 03:52 PM
Does anyone have a picture of the dealer installed location of the kit? I ordered the full through hull kit from west marine and was just curious about install location. I have an X1 with RTP.

DooSPX
12-31-2013, 02:50 PM
I have a DIY perko on my boat and love it. Essentially a irrigation valve with a hose adapter before the valve and works perfect and has been on the boat for 15 years. Never leaks or failed and I use it every time I use the boat.

EDIT: Mine is very similar to BMD's but not as much PVC.

uplander
12-31-2013, 07:11 PM
if you put the perko in could you use that connection for the water return on a heater. would be similar to the Y valve

BMDWillyZ
01-01-2014, 09:33 PM
Here are a couple of pictures that I have of my winterizing setup that connects to the valve system that I have posted pictures of. This allows me to run the motor on anti-freeze while I'm fogging the motor before final shut down. I bought the 7 gallon container from Wal-Mart. The jug came with a "petcock valve" that had a 3/4" NPT thread that threaded in to the filling cap. I bought a 3/4" NPT to 3/4" garden hose fitting and screwed it in to the filling cap as pictured. These pictures are all in a photo album called "Flushing System" on my profile page if you would like to see all the items that I used to make my own flushing / winterizing system.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=685&pictureid=5845

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=685&pictureid=5847

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=685&pictureid=5849

thatsmrmastercraft
01-01-2014, 10:10 PM
Here are a couple of pictures that I have of my winterizing setup that connects to the valve system that I have posted pictures of. This allows me to run the motor on anti-freeze while I'm fogging the motor before final shut down. I bought the 7 gallon container from Wal-Mart. The jug came with a "petcock valve" that had a 3/4" NPT thread that threaded in to the filling cap. I bought a 3/4" NPT to 3/4" garden hose fitting and screwed it in to the filling cap as pictured. These pictures are all in a photo album called "Flushing System" on my profile page if you would like to see all the items that I used to make my own flushing / winterizing system.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=685&pictureid=5845

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=685&pictureid=5847

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=685&pictureid=5849

Very nicely done. :toast: