PDA

View Full Version : Ski for the Wife

medross
12-10-2013, 05:51 PM
My wife is just getting into slalom skiing. Does anyone have a review of the Radar Women's P-6 or the HO Couture Freeride?

bkblaida
12-10-2013, 07:12 PM
I have not skied the Freeride but friends who have one love it. It is for the open water slalom newbie or an experienced skier who wants a fun ski to just screw around with. If your wife is serious about getting into slalom and progressing, IMO and experience, the most friendly ski is the HO Triumph. Easy to get up on for a beginner and I have seen people run 28 off with this ski. I believe out on youtube there is a video of a woman pro running either 32 or 34 off with the Triumph.

3event
12-10-2013, 07:13 PM
Sorry I don't have a review to report, but wanted to share that I have a couple friends that were beginner slalomers and never got satisfaction out of the freeride series they bought. If the ladies has that double tunnel design I would consider why exactly is that the only ski ever on the market with the double tunnel? There are better solutions.

When my wife started, I got her a Connelly Outlaw 65 from Wiley's (www.wileyski.com) with double Wileys plates. She's very comfortable with that ski, but will never be aiming to ski a course - only open water.

Good luck!

bturner2
12-10-2013, 08:18 PM
My daughter has a Connelly V with double Sidewinders that she really likes. Open water skiing only so far.

fstaslp
12-10-2013, 08:27 PM
I am in the same boat, but looking at the Radar Lyric.

atihanyi
12-10-2013, 09:13 PM
My Wife Got Back Into It Last Year . What I Did Was Start Purchasing A Couple Of Inexpesive Skis Off E-bay . One For The Bindings And One For The Ski Ended Up Giving The Extra One To A Friend For His Son . Total Investment $100.00 And Shes Happy!

mikeg205
12-11-2013, 09:16 AM
Freeride a very good ski - it's very stable - but turns like a truck... that being said most ski's these days decent - ebay skis are great for beginners and even intermediates... IMO - no one will feel the difference on the ski until they get their form right and their strength up. Good skiers can run a course on combo skis.

Triumph a great ski to progress on - a bunch of inexpensive skis on ebay all the time or ski-it-again.com

Patrick
12-11-2013, 10:54 AM
I was looking for something for my wife last year and found a good end of season deal on a P6 and figured it'd be hard to go wrong. She has slalomed before, could get up on 1, and I figured she'd mostly just want something to ride around on. I wanted something that, if she happened to get into skiing more, would be useable for early learning in the course. She didn't ski once last season. However, I loaned it out to a set of friends who wanted basically the same thing and they loved it. The wife and a couple early teenage girls who like to ski casually all loved it so much over what they were using (various pretty old stuff) that they got their own.

Like has been mentioned though, it'd be hard to go too wrong with a lot of the newer skis. Find a good deal, something she likes the look of, etc.

medross
12-11-2013, 03:17 PM
Thanks for all the Feedback. Probably true that I can't go wrong with either.