PDA

View Full Version : Gas Smell Under Shrink Wrap x45

Rossthaboss11
12-09-2013, 04:43 PM
I recently winterized my 2005 x45 and got it all shrink wrapped up. Everytime i open up the hatchway to get in theres a big smell of gas coming from inside. I want to turn on the space heater inside but not until i figure out where the smell is coming from and if there is a gas leak. Anyonce experience this or know where to start checking? It has a full tank with fuel stabilizer in it. I put the center drain plug back in and after a few days there was no build up of fluid.

Thanks, Ross

GoneBoatN
12-09-2013, 06:28 PM
When I had gas fumes issue it was due to a leaking gasket between the fuel pump module where the pressure regulator passes through the the top of the fuel pump module. Mine was under extended warranty so $25 got me a whole new fuel pump module installed by the dealer. Since you have no gas accumulation you are not leaking any faster than it can evaporate. Look for a yellowish stain around the top of the fuel pump module. Also use a piece of tissue paper and wipe around that area and see it gets damp.

Gas fumes = gas leak. Needless to say, no space heater for you til resolved. Typically gas fumes settle to the bottom of the bilge area. But you are shrink wrapped so you have little to no fresh air to get rid of those very dangerous fumes.

GoneBoatN
12-09-2013, 06:29 PM
Here's another recent post about gas fumes:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=58267&highlight=fumes

mzimme
12-09-2013, 06:57 PM
Light a match, see where the flames are coming from, and you've found your leak. I don't recommend this.

Sodar
12-09-2013, 07:00 PM
All boats have vented tanks. When you have the cover on or have it shrink wrapped, the tank vents under the cover. The cover contains the vapors and it smells like gas.

Next time you want to go work on the boat, be sure to light a Camel or Cohiba. It will take care of the smell real quick!

neil.anderson63
12-09-2013, 07:19 PM
All boats have vented tanks. When you have the cover on or have it shrink wrapped, the tank vents under the cover. The cover contains the vapors and it smells like gas.

Next time you want to go work on the boat, be sure to light a Camel or Cohiba. It will take care of the smell real quick!

I recommend the Cohiba - At least go out in style! :firejump:

bsloop
12-10-2013, 02:48 AM
Hard to say. Could be just vent vapors. It could be burping a little, especially if you filled it completely full then the winter angle is different than filling angle.

I would check around the fuel filter, especially if they replaced it.
Probably going to have to get into the engine compartment and look around which will not be easy if it is shrink wrapped.

Why would you put a heater into a winterized boat? One of the worst things you can be doing when it is cold is climbing around freezing vinyl.
Vent it a few more times and see if it still has a strong smell or starts to lessen. Putting the plug in will make the smell stronger since the fuel fumes will collect in the bottom instead of naturally falling out.

Rossthaboss11
12-10-2013, 08:54 AM
Okay thanks for the help guys. Ill go check these things out and let everyone know. I may not make it back tho after testing the Cohiba haha.

Rossthaboss11
12-10-2013, 10:40 AM
by the way where is the gas vent on an 2005 x45?

soacj
12-10-2013, 11:59 AM
Should be vented through the cap.

H2ORidr
12-10-2013, 06:01 PM
In addition by putting a space heater in there, if it is not electric coils then it is going to be putting moisture vapor into the space. Combustion leads to CO2 and H2O generated and that water vapor is going to condense on every cold surface it can find.

My friend is building a house (and I am helping him on weekends) and he is running a big natural gas heater in the place to keep it above freezing. Even though it is natural gas it is not exhausted outside and the ice that is forming all over the cold surfaces is amazing. There is ~1/2" of frost crystals covering the underside of the roof and on some of the uninsulated walls.

CantRepeat
12-10-2013, 06:11 PM

Brings an entirely new meaning to the term, getting baked! :D:D:D