PDA

View Full Version : Ski Pylon help

Platprostar
10-27-2005, 03:57 PM
Does anyone know the best way to remove the paint from the ski pylon? Mine is painted black but is worn in spots and chipped. I want to remove the paint and just have the polished metal.

Any advise. Its a dark picture but here is mine now. Thanks

east tx skier
10-27-2005, 04:03 PM
Never done it, but what about sandblasting. Overkill perhaps.

bcampbe7
10-27-2005, 04:10 PM
What about using one of those paint stripping products. They work well on wood. Just put it on, wait a few minutes, and scrap it off with a plastic scraper.
You can get it at Lowes and/or Home Depot.
I would remove the pilon before using this product as it may cause some problems with the carpet.

Thrall
10-27-2005, 04:16 PM
The pylon's aluminum. Use an aircraft grade paint stripper, won't mess up the Al.

Platprostar
10-27-2005, 04:24 PM
Thanks. Great suggestions. I want to do the hand rails as well. If I go with the stripper for aluminum, where would I go to get it? Would home depot carry it as well?

BriEOD
10-27-2005, 04:27 PM
You could also try a pneumatic pin stripe remover. It's a little, soft pad that spins at a few 1000 RPMs. You can pick one up for like $60. You won't have to mess with chemicals or remove the pylon from the boat. :twocents:

AirJunky
10-27-2005, 04:40 PM
We used to use the aircraft paint stripper on our aluminum Air Chair foils years ago. It's nasty stuff so where gloves & a face mask.... and do it outside!
Home Depot or Lowes should carry it.

east tx skier
10-27-2005, 05:18 PM
Aw, just sand blast it while it's in the boat. How messy could it be? ;)

BriEOD
10-27-2005, 05:20 PM
Aw, just sand blast it while it's in the boat. How messy could it be? ;)

This from the guy that won't let people drink "bottled water" in his boat. 8p

east tx skier
10-27-2005, 05:23 PM
Well now you're just making stuff up. 8p

Drinks have always been okay. Spilling drinks is against the rules.

Platprostar
10-27-2005, 05:53 PM
You could also try a pneumatic pin stripe remover. It's a little, soft pad that spins at a few 1000 RPMs. You can pick one up for like $60. You won't have to mess with chemicals or remove the pylon from the boat. :twocents:
I hope this isn't a dumb question, but is it like a dremel?

AirJunky
10-27-2005, 07:31 PM
I hope this isn't a dumb question, but is it like a dremel?
Pneumatic means it would be air acutated. Most Dremels I ever saw were electric but they might be similar tools.

BuoyChaser
10-27-2005, 08:09 PM
only two u-bolts hold on most pylons, so remove the nuts then take it to a local machine shop to have it powder coated...they'll strip the paint by sandblasting it to prep it for the powder coating...talked to a couple guys to have my '85 pylon redone...use of an old school boom before my time and intense slalom pulls wore off the original powder coating in two areas...

to prevent it from eating ropes, the roughed-up aluminum, used special sandpaper to smooth it to a baby bottom finish...

rodltg2
10-28-2005, 01:58 PM
wouldnt it be easier and maybe cheaper to buy a new one...

http://mymastercraft.com/product_details.cfm?ITEM_ID=953&product=MC_Pylon&product_type=INTERIOR&company=MasterCraft&sub_product=Pylon

BuoyChaser
10-28-2005, 02:02 PM
wouldnt it be easier and maybe cheaper to buy a new one...

http://mymastercraft.com/product_details.cfm?ITEM_ID=953&product=MC_Pylon&product_type=INTERIOR&company=MasterCraft&sub_product=Pylon

never thought of how a retro-fitted one would work???have to take a measurement this weekend, for $200 that's a steal...no-way could you get one re-powder coated for that...