PDA

View Full Version : Quick Winterizing Advice Needed ASAP!

Juiced190
12-06-2013, 04:20 PM
I live in middle tennessee and although we've had several nights below freezing I have yet to winterize my 96 190. All is good because it's in a heated garage. There's an ice storm coming through in about an hour and I have concerns about power loss if lines are down. Here's my question, should I drain the water from the block and manifolds and poor straight antifreeze down the raw water hose till its full. I'm afraid if I go with what I normally use, 50/50 marine, there will still be some water in the block and will dilute the 50/50 mix, rendering it much less effective. Any concerns with using straight antifreeze? I'm planning on going with the Sierra propylene glycol. Thanks in advance.

CantRepeat
12-06-2013, 04:23 PM
I live in middle tennessee and although we've had several nights below freezing I have yet to winterize my 96 190. All is good because it's in a heated garage. There's an ice storm coming through in about an hour and I have concerns about power loss if lines are down. Here's my question, should I drain the water from the block and manifolds and poor straight antifreeze down the raw water hose till its full. I'm afraid if I go with what I normally use, 50/50 marine, there will still be some water in the block and will dilute the 50/50 mix, rendering it much less effective. Any concerns with using straight antifreeze? I'm planning on going with the Sierra propylene glycol. Thanks in advance.

If you don't start the motor and warm it up the AF won't get into the block.

You could pull the thermostat but you are still going to need to start the motor to push the AF into the block.

If all you can do is drain that is better then nothing. At least the water that is in the block will be able to expand a bit.

mikeg205
12-06-2013, 04:39 PM
Drain the block - should be ok. My 95 was winterized by dry blocked method for 15 years in Iowa before I got it... should be ok.

Or do what CantRepeat says... pop thermostat house and pour water antifreeze that way.

Plus it take many hours of freezing 16-24 to freeze a block to crack.

1redTA
12-06-2013, 04:40 PM
I'd drain the water from everything, pull the thermostat and fill with RV antifreeze, also fill the lines running to the manifolds, then open the petcocks and make sure the antifreeze comes out

atthelake
12-06-2013, 04:46 PM
Crank the heat in the garage, steal all the wife's coats and pack them in the engine compartment (while discussing with her the definition of sacrifice).

Seriously though, insulating around your engine/block with old rags, blankets etc. may help you out for a short period of time as well. Hope you make it through the storm okay.

jschildm
12-06-2013, 04:47 PM
Drain the water and call it good. Just make sure the flow from the drains is good to ensure that no water is trapped in the block/manifolds.

jakethebt
12-06-2013, 04:52 PM
I would drain the block and manifolds, heater and shower if you have them. That should be ok, but if you want to use anti freeze, use the RV stuff. The green stuff is really nasty and you can never get it all the way out. If you get caught with a green slick on your water, you could be in for huge fines and EPA clean up. They really freak anymore.

Jerseydave
12-06-2013, 04:52 PM
As stated before, drain block (both sides) drain both manifolds.
Remove hoses from seawater pump, remove impeller. Remove both hoses from your trans cooler (the large water hoses!)

If you're still concerned, reinstall everything and remove t-stat and fill with RV antifreeze
Unless it's an LT-1, then use marine antifreeze that's safe for aluminum engines.

Aric'sX15
12-06-2013, 04:59 PM
Personally I dont think a few nights and days with the power off will make it drop below freezing!

Covi
12-06-2013, 05:05 PM
I agree. You'll be fine. You'll see the power is not even going to go out (that's not a promise).

Personally I dont think a few nights and days with the power off will make it drop below freezing!

uplander
12-06-2013, 05:35 PM
I would winterize and have a generator on hand. You could use it for other items in the house also. Once you have a generator and it saves you once you will not regret getting one.

jgraham37128
12-06-2013, 06:19 PM
I live in the same area. I drained the manifolds pulled both plugs on each side of the block. This is exactly what the manual says to do to winterize.

My OCD gets me to pour antifreeze in the intake side thru the water strainer till full then start it for a couple of seconds. However the Indmar manual doesn't say this is necessary, but it makes me feel better.

Oh and you said you had a heated garage? I wouldn't even worry about it.

Juiced190
12-06-2013, 06:29 PM
Wow! "Ask and ye shall receive." I want to thank everyone who has responded. I usually winterize by mid November but have been really busy this year. I've been watching the weather close and it seems most of the ice is staying just west of me. After all the responses I think I'll be ok tonight. The temp is only dropping to 28 and I feel even if the electricity does go out I'll be ok till tomorrow. Once again, I'm very grateful for all the advice.

mikeg205
12-06-2013, 06:35 PM
Wow! "Ask and ye shall receive." I want to thank everyone who has responded. I usually winterize by mid November but have been really busy this year. I've been watching the weather close and it seems most of the ice is staying just west of me. After all the responses I think I'll be ok tonight. The temp is only dropping to 28 and I feel even if the electricity does go out I'll be ok till tomorrow. Once again, I'm very grateful for all the advice.

You're welcome - and don't forget to head of the Friday time for a drink thread when you're done taking care of the MC... :D

JohnE
12-06-2013, 07:15 PM

I agree. At least not cold enough to freeze solid and cause any real damage.

east tx skier
12-06-2013, 08:05 PM
Just drain. You'll be fine. My boat has out in the elements at the dealership for several weeks through several freezes here while they are putting a slide-out trailer tongue on my trailer (there was a parts delay).

Before the first freeze, I just asked them to drain it. I'll drop the oil cold and change the transmission fluid when I get it back. I'll fog and add antifreeze as well. The fuel was already stabilized. Draining will be fine for freeze protection. The only reason I add AF at all is for whatever corrosion protection it might provide.

GoneBoatN
12-06-2013, 08:05 PM
You probably would be fine as you are in a “heated” garage. Is it “attached” as well? That would mean it would stay warmer longer in the event of a power outage. Put a thermometer in your garage just in case you need to check.

If “probably” does not cut it for you (it wouldn’t for me), then dry block. It does not take that long and is relatively easy to do. Since you say you winterize, you know how to do this. You should be done with that in 15 minutes plus what time it takes to do the shower and heater if you have them.

IMO: The first to go would be the heater and shower. Blow those out with a compressor. Put a little RV antifreeze in them. Blow them out again. Dry block the rest of the engine. Sleep peacefully at night. We are getting a few nights of below freezing here as well. Mine is in a non-heated storage unit this year. This is what I did.

blackhawk
12-07-2013, 02:27 PM
You don't have to pull the tstat to fill up your block with AF. After you drain all the water, just pull the large hose off the thermostat housing. (This should be the hose that comes from the engine's water pump.) Hold this hose up and pour in AF until it starts coming out of the tstat housing where you removed the hose.