PDA

View Full Version : Snow Chains

Ryan
10-27-2005, 02:15 PM
Alright, guys up north:
My slalom season is just starting. But, I snow ski too.

We have some chains left over from our last 4Runner, but they don't fit the new one - thay may squeeze on, but the Gigantic sized links (look like they should be on a road grader) and the thought of vehicle damage freaks me out. It looks like I can get chains/cables on Ebay for cheap right now before everybody gets dumped on with snow.

I've never tried cables and want to get some opinions on them.

I also see Costco (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11029596&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=21351&hierPath=21248*) is selling these GoClaws (http://www.flextrax.com/actionvideo.html)...Any thoughts? I'm a little sketchy on the spacing these leave with so much tire un-aided traction; and no deep bite into the snow/ice

bcampbe7
10-27-2005, 02:24 PM
Alright, sguys up north:
My slalom season is just starting. But, I snow ski too.

We have some chains left over from our last 4Runner, but they don't fit the new one - thay may squeeze on, but the Gigantic sized links (look like they should be on a road grader) and the thought of vehicle damage freaks me out. It looks like I can get chains/cables on Ebay for cheap right now before everybody gets dumped on with snow.

I've never tried cables and want to get some opinions on them.

I also see Costco (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11029596&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=21351&hierPath=21248*) is selling these GoClaws (http://www.flextrax.com/actionvideo.html)...Any thoughts? I'm a little sketchy on the spacing these leave with so much tire un-aided traction; and no deep bite into the snow/ice

I did not realize what all the fuss about snow chains was until I was in Colorado one Winter. :eek:
The day we were in Vail in snowed 2' (that's 2 feet). We had to drive from Vail to Frisco on I-70. Had 4 wheel drive and felt like I could get stuck at any moment. I have never in my life seen so much snow at one time.
Sorry I can't help you with your choice. Just wanted to shed some light for anyone wondering why you would need snowchains on a 4 wheel drive vehicle.

Leroy
10-27-2005, 02:45 PM
Ryan; I've never used chains been able to get by with 4WD on I-80 so far. Make sure they are legal as chains in CA, assuming that is where you will be going!

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/faq.htm
11. Are studded snow tires, cable chains and automatic traction devices (ATD's) legal in California?

We provide a portion of the California Vehicle Code on tires and traction devices on our web site. For information on studded tires click on section 27454 (http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/vctires.htm) and read 27454, 27454b and 27454e regarding studded tires. For information on cable chains and ATD's click on 27459 (http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/vctires.htm) and read sections 27459, 27459.5 and Section 605.

"What are ATD's?" Automatic Traction Devices (ATD) are traction devices that can be deployed by the driver as needed. They are used primarily on Emergency vehicles, such as fire trucks and ambulances, and occasionally school buses. ATD's are sometimes installed on large trucks and a few of the snow plows in Caltrans' fleet. Due to their initial cost and inability to be used on front-wheel drive steering axles, they are not normally installed or used on cars.

If you would like to view a full version of the California Vehicle Code it can be located at the following location, under California Law: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov (http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/)

Ric
10-27-2005, 03:45 PM
I have a set of chains for 305/70/16's but havent tried cables. winters get tough round these parts

Ryan
10-31-2005, 09:19 AM
bump

There must be more people who live and drive in the snow...

6ballsisall
10-31-2005, 09:27 AM
For that thick wet snow you guys get I wouldn't recommend cables. I have tried them in the past and never really liked the performance, or lack thereof they provide. I would recommend a set of good chains that are less aggressive than what you have and call it good. As to where to get them, I would try some of the tire stores near the mountains in your area. If they don't have them I bet they can refer you to someone good

erkoehler
10-31-2005, 10:57 AM
Luckily, I haven't needed chains in these parts or up at our cabin.

sizzler
10-31-2005, 11:02 AM
my only chains came with marriage............... :D

only joking hun :worthy:

BriEOD
10-31-2005, 11:09 AM
my only chains came with marriage............... :D

ROTFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :uglyhamme

lakes Rick
10-31-2005, 12:08 PM
the type of chains with links over the tread and cables for attaching them to the tires works best for me... We have some local guys " Les Schwab" that always seem to come out with the latest and greatest chains... I always check on what they have when I need some..

Make sure you can get chains for your car.. My 03 and 05 Subaru Outbacks with the 16" wheels and tires will not take chains.. They hit the front strut.. Try explaining that to the cops when you dont have em...

Workin' 4 Toys
10-31-2005, 09:55 PM
Never needed them yet. Hope to this winter;) , anyway. I have some relatives in Cal that head up the mountains, they use chains. Not sure the style, brand or what not. But I know they don't use cables.

I would have to see them up close, and know what grade of cable they are made from. But they certainly would fray without a doubt. All it would take for serious damages is one loose cord.

Ryan
11-01-2005, 11:56 AM
Good tips. Thanks for the advice everyone.

paulphillipson
11-01-2005, 04:35 PM
Ryan, What kind of tires do you have on your 4-Runner? If they are rated (and marked) M+S, you should have no problem getting over the Sierras, in most cases. In the past 27 years as a ski patrolman in the Sierras, I have never gotten stuck, using 4wd and good snow tires. Ah, but Califonia is unique in their approach to traffic in the mountains. They have 3 levels of "chain control". The first is "chains or snow tires"; the next is "chains mandatory, or 4wd", the last is "4wd with chains only". The third level is almost hypothetical, because they usually close the road before it gets to that level, usually because of wrecks and poor visibility. The wrinkle is that even before any controls are implemented, at the beginning of a storm, the signs will show "carry chains". They will enforce that at roadblocks, even though you are driving a 4wd with 4 snow tires. I was turned around by the CHP in my Blazer, and the cop didn't want to hear that I was on my way back to Reno to do avalanche control for Nevada DOT.

But to get back to which kind of chains to use, either cable or cross-link chain types will work well, just make sure you have the correct size, and more importantly, practice installing them in the comfort of your garage. Take a tarp, and/or get one of those cheap yellow plastic rain suits, since it will be wet, not frozen when you need to install the chains. I would also recommend Les Schwab, if they have a presence in LoCal. Any reputable tire shop should be able to help, or you can wait until you get to Auburn or higer up to pay 3-4 times more $$.
Stop in at Mt. Rose when you get to Tahoe.

6ballsisall
11-01-2005, 04:45 PM
Driven thru the nasiest of Sierra Cement and I wouldn't leave home without a good set of chains or an alternative plan to take me away from the storm.
Day after Thanksgiving in 2002 I was headed to Medford, OR pulling a sno-cat (from Colorado) Got tired and fell a sleep in the cab and woke up 2 hours later with fresh snow on a cleared parking lot that was now up to my bumpers! :eek: Sucked chaining up then. Headed over Klamath Pass and got stuck hard core. Pulled the cat off the trailer, hitched it up to the gooseneck, loaded the truck on the trailer and drove over the pass only to pick up 4 other car full of people on the pass that had tried to brave it. Even with chains you can get yourself in a heap of trouble.

Ryan
11-01-2005, 05:55 PM
Paul,

I'll have to check the tires when my wife gets back for the rating. Getting stuck isn't my big concern, it's that my full-time 4x4 does nothing to help me go, but especially stop if the tires aren't gripping anything. I had a little incident at Mammoth a few years ago going when leaving an underground parking lot (won't stay there again). Only the snow burm kept us from sliding backwards into the hotel wall. Leaving, my wife just thought I did it wrong, so she had a try when going in, and she did the same thing. Think back to the Jusrassic Park Ford Explorer in the trees feeling - except on ice. This was the worste case of icey/snow conditions I'd seen since outside of ice storms in MO. Going out to dinner we watched half a dozen cars/SUVs crash into icey mounds of old snow, unable to stop. I asked LakesRick about Les Schwab, and after looking up their website they don't have any stores in 'Lo CA'.

AirJunky
11-01-2005, 07:18 PM
Two 4wds & no chains here. We drive in the snow every year & haven't had any problems.
Subaru Outback with all season radials can't be beat.
Dodge Dakota with BFG All -Terrains is fun to drive in 2wd, then stick it in 4wd when you need it.

ted shred
11-01-2005, 07:25 PM
I have used cable chains on my GMC before , and they worked fine. They were real easy to install. Unless you really want to own them you may be able to do what I did .I bought them from a sporting goods store that will take them back and charge a" restocking fee". The store used to rent them, but here in CA they made it so they can't rent them any more and this is the way they get around it.