PDA

View Full Version : I'm still not over this

Bouyhead
12-04-2013, 02:30 PM
Owned my boat since 96' and have been in my house since 07' I have a nice detached garage that measures 20X18. I keep my car & motorcycle in there and have a nice little workshop to boot. I restored an LXi a few years ago and getting it past the garage door to get the boat partially inside wasn't even close as the door opening was to narrow, so I worked weekends when the weather cooperated and took off a day here and there. Now i never TRIED to get the 96 PS in the garage because I never really had a long term project, the boat never broke, just oil changes, winterizing, etc.

Fast foward to this Fall and my ZR6 conversion. Started this project mid October and it's still ongoing as I work out all the issues. Time to work on the MC was limited to the time slots mentioned earlier which made for slow progress until last Saturday. Temps last Saturday where going to be mid thirties in the AM so I decided to get the boat as close to the garage door as possible, set up my heater in the garage and aim it at the door and boat to take the sting out of the cold. Well, as i get real close to the door I take a look and start kicking myself in the arse, the boat is going to fit, I just never tried! I'm still pissed at myself, if I would have tried earlier this project would have been done by now. I think it's going to be a while before I'm over this. Here's a few pics. After I unhook the boat from the truck I put the garage door down on the bow and hang a little plastic on the side openings. Actually, I think I was starting to get over it untill I put together this little BS thread, AAARRRGH!!!:mad:

Double D
12-04-2013, 02:38 PM
Sorry, I chuckled a little bit... :) I learned through experience that dimensions on a sheet or drawing are one thing, but real world is another. Glad to see you can make better progress now.

Ryan
12-04-2013, 02:48 PM
That reminds me of the first post in the garage thread. I kind of miss those days of working hard to get a boat into a snug garage.

mikeg205
12-04-2013, 02:50 PM
couple of tire skates and you'll be able to slide the stern over and close the door.. :)

JohnE
12-04-2013, 03:02 PM
Haha. Ain't that a kick in the *****. Glad you figured out now before the project is completely done.

neil.anderson63
12-04-2013, 04:00 PM
Now you can sit in it, put the game on and enjoy a cold one while savoring the comforts of man town and bask in the madness that is MCOCD. :D:D:headbang:

jk13
12-04-2013, 04:15 PM
Ha. Fits like mine but I have to turn it around and put it in forwards by hand.
My tongue goes into a closet that used to house the air compressor and sits between the wall studs and against the outside sheeting. That leaves me with 1" of clearance at the stern to close the door with the platform off.

And the sides of my door may have some red paint marks on them from a hurried entry on a rainy day--roughly 2" of clearance per side.

scott023
12-04-2013, 04:17 PM
That looks perfect. :D

soacj
12-04-2013, 04:18 PM
I had (actually, still do) that same Connelly slalom (HP, right?) visible on the back wall of your garage. Got it back in the early '90's if memory serves.

Covi
12-04-2013, 08:06 PM
Hahaha I too laughed out loud. Tight fit but will get the job done.

Jerseydave
12-04-2013, 09:19 PM
Get some 2X4's and frame out an extension for your garage opening if you want to store it in there all winter. Side it with T-111 or plywood and put 4 casters on it so it's barely off the ground. Secure it to the garage with some hook and eye fasteners. Paint white.....done! :D

sand2snow22
12-04-2013, 11:00 PM
Starbrite hull cleaner through a garden sprayer will take that yellow off :)

98 Saleen Cobra
12-04-2013, 11:08 PM
And that sir is what we call a EPIC FAIL lol.. I bet you'll atleast try something like that 1 time..

kman
12-05-2013, 12:05 AM
Funny, I ran into a similar problem when I upgraded from an x10 to an x45. It's not quite finished yet, but here is what I wound up doing.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g301/hunterk2001/IMG-20131203-00118a_zpsdd0eb1cc.jpg (http://s59.photobucket.com/user/hunterk2001/media/IMG-20131203-00118a_zpsdd0eb1cc.jpg.html)

h2oskifreak
12-05-2013, 04:18 PM
I see a lot of builders use 8' doors (width) for their 3 car garage bays. They sell the homes and the buyer realizes the SUV will hardly fit. ALWAYS use oversized doors if you can. A 9 ft. min. on a third car garage bay and 18' instead of 16' wide for 2 car doors. I shouldn't have to mention, never do a 7' tall door (8' or more on height). The 18' wide door allows you to be able to get doors to your car open with another car in the bay next to you comfortably. I see people in my neighborhood backing in so they can get out of their car. Stupid builders worrying about cost instead of function. 8' wide doors are for golf carts, bot cars.

aquaman
12-05-2013, 04:28 PM
That's funny.

Be VERY careful when you take the boat out !

I have found that putting one in a garage can be alot easier than coming out ?:rolleyes:

jschildm
12-05-2013, 04:45 PM
That's funny.

I have found that putting one in a garage can be alot easier than coming out ?:rolleyes:

This ^

hondaprlud
12-05-2013, 05:03 PM
Nice you figured it out.

captain planet
12-05-2013, 05:48 PM
I see a lot of builders use 8' doors (width) for their 3 car garage bays. They sell the homes and the buyer realizes the SUV will hardly fit. ALWAYS use oversized doors if you can. A 9 ft. min. on a third car garage bay and 18' instead of 16' wide for 2 car doors. I shouldn't have to mention, never do a 7' tall door (8' or more on height). The 18' wide door allows you to be able to get doors to your car open with another car in the bay next to you comfortably. I see people in my neighborhood backing in so they can get out of their car. Stupid builders worrying about cost instead of function. 8' wide doors are for golf carts, bot cars.

So on my garage I built I put in a 9' x 18' door...is that large enough? :D

bsloop
12-05-2013, 07:17 PM
My garage pics. 7x16 door.
Hail storm was approaching so I tried to get the vehicles as covered as possible. Normally, only my wife's car is in the garage.

How did I do it? Pulled the truck in, climbed out passenger door. Pulled Suburban in, climbed out the rear :)

GT500 MC
12-05-2013, 07:28 PM
Hail storm was approaching so I tried to get the vehicles as covered as possible. Normally, only my wife's car is in the garage.

How did I do it? Pulled the truck in, climbed out passenger door. Pulled Suburban in, climbed out the rear :)

Not that tight. You still had a foot or so in the front of the 'burb. ;)

Double D
12-05-2013, 08:37 PM

You got some arse hanging out there! LOL I would do that to avoid hail..

h2oskifreak
12-05-2013, 08:45 PM

That's what I would use. If the elevation of the house is large you could go w/ 10 ft high, but 9 x 18 will be nice.

ghind
12-05-2013, 11:43 PM
I love shed threads.

For a few years, I kept my boats at other people's houses. When I was lucky enough to get a waterfront home, the boat needed to be there too. It would fit in the double garage sideways, if I undid the winch post, pulled the post forward and pushed the boat forward. Otherwise the door had to stay open a little and the trailer tongue stuck under.

My first shed was 7 metres wide and 11 metres deep. I made sure it had a 3 metre (10 foot) clear opening so I could fit any caravan in that I might buy. Before I finished the shed, I'd bought one that wouldn't fit.... Well if I put lots of weight in the van to sink the springs, let the tyres right down and manually held the door open extra it would rub on the way in. But at least it fit for winter.

When I moved house I needed a new shed. Threads like this along with my experiences of stuff not fitting made me want a shed that absolutely would never be a struggle to fit into. I ended up going with 18 metres wide by 15 metres deep (2,900 square ft) plus a mezzanine floor of another 1100ft plus. The two big doors are 4.9 metres clear opening (more than 16ft height clearance). The little door is 5 metres wide (about 16.5ft) and about 7.5ft clear height opening. The mezzanine is above the little door.

If it is road legal, there is miles of clearance to get it in my shed :D

When I purchased a super fly high, I figured that once again I'd be back to not fitting through the door.... With a fly high fitted (another 8 foot on top of the tower), my boat well beyond road legal heights. However even with the fly high up it still fits with a couple of inches clearance!! Thankfully there are no power lines between my house and the river.

Greg

Waterskibum
12-06-2013, 12:44 PM
I feel your pain. Speaking of the crappy small garage doors. Here was my dilemma when we moved into our new house. 3 car side load garage. Thought I had more than enough space to put the boat in on the back of my truck. Yep, no way without running over my neighbor's whole yard, and I did not want to have to move it by hand every time she came out of the garage. Had to put the boat into the garage sideways until I could get a front mounted hitch for the truck. Last shot if after much trial and error, and almost taking a fender off the trailer. Pardon the mess in the garage. That is the winter project to get it decorated and organized. Damn side load garages...........
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg196/waterskibumfl/Swans%20Landing%202013/TAandBoatGarage.jpg

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg196/waterskibumfl/Jasmine%202013/BWBandJasmine-1.jpg

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg196/waterskibumfl/Swans%20Landing%202013/SSPBandJasminefront.jpg

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg196/waterskibumfl/Swans%20Landing%202013/SSPBandJasmineback.jpg

Double D
12-06-2013, 01:05 PM
My pain relief....

Manual pulling, pushing, holes in walls, dropping tower, changed to back in, unhook, close door...

Nice thing about most side loads garages is there is a nice build spot for an extra garage!!

rjracin240
12-06-2013, 01:15 PM
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg196/waterskibumfl/Swans%20Landing%202013/SSPBandJasmineback.jpg[/QUOTE]

Sweet lookinng Type R

AZDave
12-06-2013, 01:24 PM
A look at my avatar and you can see I am in the same boat. (Ha Ha). I reinforced the walls with some particle board and painted them. Too many holes to fix. Does anyone know of a non motorized dolly that I could move the boat around on, even up a slight hill? Something that provides better leverage than just bushing on the bow with the trailer jack wheel. Inexpensive...

Waterskibum
12-06-2013, 01:51 PM
Sweet lookinng Type R

Thanks she's a work in progress.

Nice thing about most side loads garages is there is a nice build spot for an extra garage!!

Yep definitely. The truck pic shows the area on the side of the house where we are going to build the bigger toy box. Double wide, double deep and with an 8' door so the truck can be parked in there. Be a few years though.

mikeg205
12-06-2013, 01:54 PM
I feel your pain. Speaking of the crappy small garage doors. Here was my dilemma when we moved into our new house. 3 car side load garage. Thought I had more than enough space to put the boat in on the back of my truck. Yep, no way without running over my neighbor's whole yard, and I did not want to have to move it by hand every time she came out of the garage. Had to put the boat into the garage sideways until I could get a front mounted hitch for the truck. Last shot if after much trial and error, and almost taking a fender off the trailer. Pardon the mess in the garage. That is the winter project to get it decorated and organized. Damn side load garages...........
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg196/waterskibumfl/Swans%20Landing%202013/TAandBoatGarage.jpg

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg196/waterskibumfl/Jasmine%202013/BWBandJasmine-1.jpg

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg196/waterskibumfl/Swans%20Landing%202013/SSPBandJasminefront.jpg

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg196/waterskibumfl/Swans%20Landing%202013/SSPBandJasmineback.jpg

awesome floor! and boat!

soacj
12-06-2013, 02:09 PM
awesome floor! and boat!

2nd the floor...Boat goes without saying:toast:

Waterskibum
12-06-2013, 03:25 PM
2nd the floor...Boat goes without saying:toast:

Thanks guys. Ya I learned the hard way on the last house that the water based floor paints just do not hold up. This time it was full epoxy or nothing. Was a lot of work, but came out pretty good with the clear coat. Slick as heck when wet though :)

Jerseydave
12-06-2013, 06:07 PM
A look at my avatar and you can see I am in the same boat. (Ha Ha). I reinforced the walls with some particle board and painted them. Too many holes to fix. Does anyone know of a non motorized dolly that I could move the boat around on, even up a slight hill? Something that provides better leverage than just bushing on the bow with the trailer jack wheel. Inexpensive...

Google "Gojack". I use to sell them to body shops for moving cars around. For moving the boat around, go pickup a cheap used garden tractor and install a ball hitch on the back of it.

Jerseydave
12-06-2013, 06:11 PM
Cheap version of a go-jack
http://www.eastwood.com/12-inch-vehicle-positioning-jack.html

sethro
12-06-2013, 07:07 PM

I've got just over $400 in this trailer mover, which of course has other uses around the house. Not sure what your definition of inexpensive is...and it has an engine which doesn't meet your non-motorized criteria.

Bouyhead
12-06-2013, 08:08 PM
I had (actually, still do) that same Connelly slalom (HP, right?) visible on the back wall of your garage. Got it back in the early '90's if memory serves.

Yes sir thats a HP. Mike (the mad swede) Kjellander was my first idol8p

Bouyhead
12-06-2013, 08:11 PM
That's funny.

This ^

Ha! Went to pull it out by hand last Sunday and you guessed it, it got stuck. Had to jack it up and push it over an inch.

soacj
12-06-2013, 10:02 PM
Yes sir thats a HP. Mike (the mad swede) Kjellander was my first idol8p

Funny, I actively remembered the names like Lapoint, Hazelwood, Overton, and Duvall, but had completely forgotten about Kjellander. Thanks for the jolt to the memory!

skitilldark
12-07-2013, 11:44 PM
My issue with the garage is a tandem axle trailer, very tight doors and a not-so-wide driveway to enable a good turn to back the boat in. So I had a truck sitting around that I fitted a front hitch to. Wallah, no more turning issues. It makes a world of difference when you can make those needed minute adjustments from the hitch point.

Latin Flyer
12-08-2013, 09:33 PM
Well, unfortunately I do not have pictures of this, but this is my story on my previous boat and house.

So the wife is ready for a boat again, after almost 2 years boat lees.

I measure the one car garage and go boat shopping.

Find the boat, draw at scale the garage and boat, it fits, I close the deal.

Wellllllllllll, I measure the garage in full, but I have CRAP ALL ON EACH SIDE!!!!!!

OK then, do not panic. First of all, no matter how I see it, I cannot get rid of all the crap I have.
So I clean up the garage a bit, put the boat in (an inboard) and by chance the boat fits in but only with the laundry door open and the engine 12 inches inside the house!

Long story short, I cut the bottom part of the door and had the engine in the lAundry room till I move out of that house.

I KNOW my wife loves me!

JohnE
12-09-2013, 09:52 AM

I went with an 18 x 10 door. The smaller 9 x 8 leads to the pool area in back.

TayMC197
12-09-2013, 10:31 AM
I went with an 18 x 10 door. The smaller 9 x 8 leads to the pool area in back.

I agree, just get a wider door and angle the boat in. I hated the idea at first but I soon got over it when I realized I would save $250 + a month keeping it at home. I can back it in like a champ now after only a few tries.