PDA

View Full Version : Help buying very first surfboard

blackhawk
12-04-2013, 10:45 AM
Hello All - I wanted to solicit some help on buying my very first surf board. My family and I have never surfed at all. I am 195 lbs and my ligthest kid is 120 lbs. The rest of the family is in between those numbers. I am looking for an all around board that we could all learn on. There are some good deals out there at EVO right now.

http://www.evo.com/outlet-shop/wake.aspx#/outlet-shop/super-big-sale/wake/wakesurf-boards/s_price-asc.aspx

I have been looking at the Liquid Force Fish, but really not sure on what size to get. Liquid Force does not publish any guidelines on weight that I could find. Not set on the LF, but just like the price. I am open to other suggestions. I know that we may out grow a beginner board pretty quickly. But, I wanted something inexpensive at first that would be good for everyone to learn. I would also probably keep the board since we have a lot of friends come out from time to time and they have also never surfed.

madcityskier
12-04-2013, 12:08 PM
Boughtba used Hyperlite Landlock at a garage sale. Been a great beginner board. As you say, you'll advance past it, but that means used ones are available, and you should be able to resell it for what you pay, or keep it for a boat board when you have company.

jafo9
12-04-2013, 02:30 PM
don't discount a "boutique" brand like inland surfer as a beginner board. there is even a rep on here that will give you a discount. the difference in my hyperlite broadcast and my kids inland surfer squirt is pretty noticeable. the primary difference is the weight. my broadcast feels like a sheet of plywood compared to the IS. i put a "nose guard" on both the boards and they have held up pretty well for 2 seasons and lots of "guest" use.

madcityskier
12-04-2013, 03:11 PM
Yeah, the landlock is heavy. For what I paid I'm lucky it floats. Also, anything I can ride my fat behind on is overachieving already.

onewheat
12-04-2013, 11:03 PM
i put a "nose guard" on both the boards and they have held up pretty well for 2 seasons and lots of "guest" use.

Did you buy or make the nose guard? I'm getting tired of surfboard scratches on the platform and transom when teaching people to surf.

bturner2
12-04-2013, 11:06 PM
I have a killer board for sale in the water sports section if you're looking for a high end board.

blackhawk
12-05-2013, 10:44 AM
The board that you have for sale is great! I just don't want to put that much into a board at this point, since I have zero experience. The beginner Hyperlite and Liquid Force boards are going for about $200 during "cyber week".

madcityskier
12-07-2013, 06:00 PM
Yeah, I saw those prices too. Bought mine for $25, had to get fins for it. There was another 15.

uplander
12-07-2013, 06:26 PM
Do not make my mistake and by the beginner board for $200. If you have the boat and the ballast spend a little more and get something that you can advance with and have more fun.

My .02 I would look at Inland Surfer

The Tako is affordable -
http://store.inlandsurfer.com/products/productdetail/TAKO/part_number=11040013/12714.0.1.1.1017443.0.0.0.0?pp=12&

blackhawk
12-08-2013, 02:09 PM
Uplander - I like the looks of the Tako. Have you ridden it before? I can't find any reviews on it.

sand2snow22
12-08-2013, 02:13 PM
PM your way blackhawk

Footin
12-08-2013, 03:22 PM
How about a CWB Ride?

uplander
12-08-2013, 03:26 PM
Uplander - I like the looks of the Tako. Have you ridden it before? I can't find any reviews on it.

Yes, spent most of the summer on it, both kids 12 & 14 also used it with great success. I bought the Ronix first and did not like the ride and it would nose in on me. The Tako was a completey different ride and I returned the Ronix

Here was my thread when I started, kinda funny reading it again. I had some great help from this forum also trying to pay it back.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=54994&highlight=uplander

hughes26
01-20-2014, 09:45 PM
We started with a CWB and a Ronix. We now have a Soulcraft board. The difference is amazing. The Soulcraft board is smoother, faster and you can get a much smaller board which makes it easier to maneuver. They are great people to deal with and will customize your board any way you want it.
Surfing is a lot of fun but can be very frustrating. Get a good board to start with and you won't regret it. Plus if you end up not liking the board the resale is a lot better.

blackhawk
01-21-2014, 07:27 PM
I ended up getting an Inland Surfer Tako from sand2snow22. He made me a great deal on a brand new board. I believe he still has several new ones on hand, if anyone is in the market. Of course, it will still be a few months before I get to try it out. Snowing here today.

uplander
01-21-2014, 08:06 PM
You will like it, might take some time with the kids. Make sure you buy a decent surf rope also with the kids it will help. I think the key with the kids was getting them to shift weight forward.

Also have them put toes right on the edge of the white skid plate wake side.