PDA

View Full Version : OJ or ACME Prop

imyourmaster
12-02-2013, 07:56 AM
Looking to buy a spare prop for a '08 X2. I currently run the OJ #522 (14.75 x 15.5) which I'm very happy with. Not sure what the equivalent would be for ACME. I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!

mikeg205
12-02-2013, 08:55 AM
Give Acme a call many options. Less pitch for big ballast loads may give you a different result - but will rub higher rpm's. Are you looking for a different response from your boat?

Grant777
12-02-2013, 09:49 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/02/e7uderyr.jpg

I have used this OJ prop on my
X-2. It's a 14.25x14. The engine revs about 400rpm higher and the top speed is reduced to about 37mph. But it does get on the plane easier especially with 2600lbs of ballast and 6 people onboard.

I've kept it as my spare and put the stock prop (same one as you have) back on. I prefer it for surfing.

Snipe
12-02-2013, 10:03 AM
Give Jim at ACME a call. He's helped me twice now and nailed it each time. Actually on different boats too. First one a Nautique and then my present boat the MasterCraft. He knows his stuff and is really good to work with. He told me to try the prop he recommended and if I didn't like it I had thirty days to send it back. His number is 1.888.661.ACME (2263). Be ready to answer a few questions........

tkemperdc
12-02-2013, 10:24 AM
Give Jim at ACME a call. He's helped me twice now and nailed it each time. Actually on different boats too. First one a Nautique and then my present boat the MasterCraft. He knows his stuff and is really good to work with. He told me to try the prop he recommended and if I didn't like it I had thirty days to send it back. His number is 1.888.661.ACME (2263). Be ready to answer a few questions........

I had a very good result with ACME, I think I may have worked with Greg, but have worked with Jim. Both, asked questions and often gave a couple recommendations based on my activities. I have run the 2061 and 1479.

I cannot say I was overly happy with OJ. Customer service was lacking. I said I wanted an upgraded, after I tore one up and they pretty much only wanted to sell me a replacement stock prop. Lost a lot of business, and were pretty snarky on the phone.

bturner2
12-02-2013, 01:58 PM
I'd be hard to go wrong with either manufacture. I've worked with Eric at OJ and have had nothing but good luck both with the prop recommendations and prop repair. They're a bit pricey on the prop repair but everyone I've sent them has performed like new when it went back on the boat.

I haven't worked with Acme and don't know what repairs services they offer.

imyourmaster
12-02-2013, 05:33 PM
Give Acme a call many options. Less pitch for big ballast loads may give you a different result - but will rub higher rpm's. Are you looking for a different response from your boat?

Hi Mikeg205, good question. I've never had the opportunity to compare my setup to something else so it's hard to say. I do like the response and overall performance of the OJ 522. I don't ever really weigh my boat down with a lot of extra ballast so I probably don't need a drastic change in "out of the hole" performance. I heard the ACME 1285 is also a great choice for standard setups which don't run with a ton of extra ballast. Many guys who do run with a lot of ballast change to a prop that gets them out quicker without minding the drop in top speed. I do wonder how notacible the quicker acceleration is...

imyourmaster
12-02-2013, 05:38 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/02/e7uderyr.jpg

I have used this OJ prop on my
X-2. It's a 14.25x14. The engine revs about 400rpm higher and the top speed is reduced to about 37mph. But it does get on the plane easier especially with 2600lbs of ballast and 6 people onboard.

I've kept it as my spare and put the stock prop (same one as you have) back on. I prefer it for surfing.

Hi Grant777, thanks for your response. I do like my stock OJ for sure. Telling me you went back to running with yours after using a different prop confirms that it is a great prop when matched to the motor and application purpose. If I do add a lot more ballast I might have to consider going with a different prop. Think I'll stick to the original for now. Thanks!

Snipe
12-02-2013, 06:23 PM
FWIW.....My original comment was related to switching from OJ (that's what my boat came with) to ACME mainly because the ACME was CNC machined rather than cast and finished. If OJ has the CNC machined props and you like the company, by all means give them a shot. I am convinced that the CNC machined props give a better performance simply because they have a larger but thinner blade giving more of a bite; as far as what your preference for use: wake, ballast, etc. is, may be trial and error. Just my:twocents: worth.

mikeg205
12-02-2013, 06:54 PM
Hi Mikeg205, good question. I've never had the opportunity to compare my setup to something else so it's hard to say. I do like the response and overall performance of the OJ 522. I don't ever really weigh my boat down with a lot of extra ballast so I probably don't need a drastic change in "out of the hole" performance. I heard the ACME 1285 is also a great choice for standard setups which don't run with a ton of extra ballast. Many guys who do run with a lot of ballast change to a prop that gets them out quicker without minding the drop in top speed. I do wonder how notacible the quicker acceleration is...

the right prop will provide the response you need. It's just like gears in a transmission. Some CNC props are still balanced by hand. A good casting still produces a good prop... ironically, a CNC prop should cost less than a hand finished prop...

my four blade OJ Force (hand finished) gave me the effect I wanted.. nice consistent pull at slalom speeds - smoother and stronger slalom starts - my old Legend 3 blade still a good prop... lost some RPM high end on the 4 blade and about 1-2 mph at WOT

g-mantrix
12-02-2013, 10:38 PM
07 X2 with full factory plus fly high ballast plus 6 peeps using an OJ 14.25 x 14.75http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/03/u2abuza3.jpg

I now run an Acme 1479 so will get a comparison next time I'm out