PDA

View Full Version : Good Battery for X2

Trent 197
11-29-2013, 11:59 AM
Guys,

I've got a 2011 X2. Bought it new and have not replaced the batteries yet. It's time. What do you guys recommend. Links to websites so I can see would be awesome.

Thanks!

Trent

supreme112279
11-29-2013, 12:43 PM
I have optima yellow tops in mine

bturner2
11-29-2013, 01:09 PM
Depends on what's important to you and how/where they are mounted. I have Blue Tops and they've worked out well for me. Certianly not the cheapest option.

If you go with lead/acid I've heard Interstate makes a great battery for the money.

skitilldark
11-29-2013, 01:16 PM
Blue tops are awesome. I just replaced the last ones after 7 years.

jradasaurus
11-29-2013, 07:39 PM
http://i.imgur.com/OhYlSc8.jpg

yep.

mikeg205
11-29-2013, 08:50 PM
3 years - southeast - 2 more years IMO

Trent 197
11-29-2013, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the replies...blue tops are pretty expensive, but if they last that long, probably worth it. I see a few choices on their website, what's the right model?

So you think I've got 2 more years on the batteries? I've got 3 amps hooked to it, including a 500W 1 channel for a JL 12". But I rarely play them with the engine off and I have a battery switch I use religiously when the boat is on the lift/in storage.

mikeg205
11-29-2013, 09:48 PM
I don't have sound and my battery is 5 years old - take care of them should last 5 years easy...IMO

Traxx822
11-29-2013, 09:50 PM
Guys,

I've got a 2011 X2. Bought it new and have not replaced the batteries yet. It's time. What do you guys recommend. Links to websites so I can see would be awesome.

Thanks!

Trent

Geez, saw this post and was like, what the hell was I drunk when I wrote this lol

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

jgraham37128
11-29-2013, 10:40 PM
I have a 2010 x2 and my batteries still seem fine.

bturner2
11-30-2013, 07:47 AM
Looks like the stock set up got a lot better from when I got my boat granted the OP might have been responsible for a good deal of my original mess. Before and after pictures of my set up.

Big reason I went AGM and Blue Tops was the mounting plates available and their spill proof design. The cheap plastic boxes located in an area where they would be clearly visible, would take up additional room and would make installing/removing them difficult made the choice easy for me. This set up has worked well for me for 5 seasons.

ttu
11-30-2013, 08:15 AM
I have a 07 x2 and have been on my second battery since 2009 and it's a interstate. I only have one battery with 4 tower speakers, boat speakers and factory jl audio amp. I do use a battery tender between taking the boat out.

MLA
11-30-2013, 08:33 AM
Guys,

Thanks!

Trent

It all depends on how you use the batteries and how your dual battery bank is setup. For just a typical marine cranking, you cant beat a quality lead-acid group-24. if your other bank is used primarily as a house bank, then consider a battery with a higher Ah rating like a dedicated deep-cycle lead-acid or AGM. Its important to compare the Ah to $$. There are some quality AGM batteries, but they are pricey for their Ah's.

If you rotate the use of your batteries equally and do not spend a lot of time playing tunes with the engine off, then consider a pair of dual purpose marine batteries.

bsloop
12-01-2013, 09:27 AM
Two years should not be "time" to replace batteries if properly maintained.

Plug in a battery charger/maintainer and you will ask this questions half as often......

Marinco or if you don't put huge charging demands on your bank, some of the Ctek like 7002 are very effective.

fskof
12-01-2013, 10:04 AM
The factory battery from my 2003 prostar 209 lasted 9 years. I replaced it with a Interstate

scott023
12-01-2013, 10:20 AM
Interstate. The Optima is overpriced and we have had two sets in our 45 before replacing (warranty) with the Interstates.

bturner2
12-01-2013, 02:24 PM
If you're going through that many Optima's something is wrong with the way they are being charged/maintained. I've personally "revived" 2 supposedly dead Optima's with my charger.

Go to YouTube and look up Optima charging. They have videos of them bringing back batteries that are supposed to be dead.

scott023
12-01-2013, 03:50 PM
If you're going through that many Optima's something is wrong with the way they are being charged/maintained. I've personally "revived" 2 supposedly dead Optima's with my charger.

Go to YouTube and look up Optima charging. They have videos of them bringing back batteries that are supposed to be dead.

These were brand new batteries that came in the boat. There were battery issues... Replaced when boat had 50 and 70 hours. No maintenance issues should occur with that little usage.

mikeg205
12-01-2013, 03:52 PM
Interstate. The Optima is overpriced and we have had two sets in our 45 before replacing (warranty) with the Interstates.

5 year old Exide never let me down... but I don't load it with a rockin' sound system - it will be replaced this spring when Menard's has it's sale... $43 for a group 24 marine starter... :)

Thrall
12-02-2013, 01:33 AM

I've been down that road with Optimas and can say out of 5 batteries I got one that was worth a chit!
I've had them on maintainers and still died in 2 years. But one that ended up in my neglected old jeep keeps going. I don't get it.
To the op, find something other than optima IMO. I have had great luck with Odyssey batteries in my boat. Have 2 of the same batteries from 08 and '11. Put both in my truck a year ago before moving to AK and they just started a frozen diesel after sitting out at -20 this weekend.
Not bad!

Thrall
12-02-2013, 01:35 AM
Looks like the stock set up got a lot better from when I got my boat granted the OP might have been responsible for a good deal of my original mess. Before and after pictures of my set up.

Big reason I went AGM and Blue Tops was the mounting plates available and their spill proof design. The cheap plastic boxes located in an area where they would be clearly visible, would take up additional room and would make installing/removing them difficult made the choice easy for me. This set up has worked well for me for 5 seasons.

Looks familiar! I'd blame it on MC though. My X2 was the same rats nest and untouched by the original owner.