PDA

View Full Version : Battery post corrosion

76S&S
11-27-2013, 09:56 AM
Not on my boat, but on a couple of my vehicles I'm constantly battling corrosion on the battery post. What, if anything, are you doing to prevent corrosion?

bturner2
11-27-2013, 10:06 AM
I've always used a kit you can get at any auto parts store to maintain mine and it seems to have worked out well for me. CRC makes both a cleaner and a protectant that I use. Not sure how much this actually helps but I haven't seen much of a build up on any of my cars or boats battery posts. This is part of a yearly maintenance procedure I do on all my vehicles.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/CRC-Battery-terminal-protector/_/N-25tb?itemIdentifier=55918_0_0_

Snipe
11-27-2013, 10:06 AM
Are your batteries getting a bit on the "older" side? I hear that batteries that have several years on them have a tendency to get the green stuff (or white) especially around the negative post. I have the same problem. I prolong the corrosion a bit with a really good cleaning and then add a light coat of dielectric grease around the post.

76S&S
11-27-2013, 10:48 AM
Snipe, they are getting a little old, probably about 4 years on them now.

bturner2
11-27-2013, 12:10 PM
I've read that a leaking post is typically the cause but I'm by no means a battery expert.

Aric'sX15
11-27-2013, 12:24 PM
When I worked at u haul, we had some type of spray we would use on the trucks. Worked pretty well as far as I could remember!

bsloop
11-27-2013, 12:43 PM
Die electric grease.

Also great for any electrical connection on the boat :)

maxpower220
11-27-2013, 04:55 PM
I have used the CRC spray on protector for years now. No corrosion and that same can has lasted for several vehicles/batteries.

atihanyi
11-28-2013, 12:11 AM
clean the posts and cables with a wire brush and use die-electric grease and shoyuldnt be an issue

Kell
11-28-2013, 01:21 AM
Couple years ago a friend told me to use the battery felt discs on the post. Been 4 years now and no corrosion yet.

Sent from my iPad 2 3G using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

CC2MC
12-16-2013, 03:43 PM
I am a little late to this but I do sell batteries for a living so Iat have a little useful input with this. Typically you will see corrosion more on the positive terminals. This happens because as the battery gets older and goes through more cycles, the positive plates have plate growth which can push the positive terminal up a little, breaking the seal. If the seal is even broken a little, the acid can weep up through the crack and start to cause corrosion. Heat also can play a huge factor in the general life of a battery. What we do when installing batteries is put some no oxide grease on them. It will not take much but it will help preventing corrosion. I will look at the shop to see if I can find a small tube and send it to you if you are interested. Or you could just go by autozone and get the spray stuff mentioned by maxpower.

drschemel
12-16-2013, 03:48 PM
funny that this post should come up because my daughter's car is having this issue. I had to replace the positive cable a month ago because it was almost corroded through and now the new cable is corroding. It is an interstate battery and about 1 1/2 years old - would have expected better! Is this something that the battery warranty would cover?

76S&S
12-16-2013, 04:06 PM
I am a little late to this but I do sell batteries for a living so Iat have a little useful input with this. Typically you will see corrosion more on the positive terminals. This happens because as the battery gets older and goes through more cycles, the positive plates have plate growth which can push the positive terminal up a little, breaking the seal. If the seal is even broken a little, the acid can weep up through the crack and start to cause corrosion. Heat also can play a huge factor in the general life of a battery. What we do when installing batteries is put some no oxide grease on them. It will not take much but it will help preventing corrosion. I will look at the shop to see if I can find a small tube and send it to you if you are interested. Or you could just go by autozone and get the spray stuff mentioned by maxpower.

Thanks CC2MC, I just went by autozone last week and picked up some of the spray stuff. I appreciate your offer.

1redTA
12-16-2013, 05:55 PM
Use Coke to clean apply dielectric greas and those little red and green circles around the post

JimN
12-16-2013, 07:18 PM
Not on my boat, but on a couple of my vehicles I'm constantly battling corrosion on the battery post. What, if anything, are you doing to prevent corrosion?

What accessories have been added? Corrosion on the posts is caused by current draw, not leakage.

CC2MC
12-16-2013, 07:19 PM
Just FYI. Interstate does not make their own batteries. They just slap their name on them and do a heck of a job marketing their name as the best batteries made. You should be able to get something back after a year and a half. If you have an interstate store, they also sell refurbished batteries for about $40. The warranty is not very good but not a bad deal if you are on a budget. Interstate is usually pretty good with backing up their product so I would just find out from wherever you bought the battery, what they can do for you. They may prorate it and give you some money towards a new one.

CC2MC
12-16-2013, 07:32 PM
What accessories have been added? Corrosion on the posts is caused by current draw, not leakage.

You are correct, in a way. The more current that you have, the more gas that the battery creates which can also cause the battery to leak, therefore causing corrosion. The harder the battery has to work or more load it has on it, the shorter life span it will have. That coupled with the intense heat that car batteries are subjected to.

mikeg205
12-16-2013, 07:34 PM
You are correct, in a way. The more current that you have, the more gas that the battery creates which can also cause the battery to leak, therefore causing corrosion. The harder the battery has to work or more load it has on it, the shorter life span it will have. That coupled with the intense heat that car batteries are subjected to.

explains why my cheapy marine exide battery last 5 years... just used for starting.

JimN
12-16-2013, 08:04 PM
Just FYI. Interstate does not make their own batteries. They just slap their name on them and do a heck of a job marketing their name as the best batteries made. You should be able to get something back after a year and a half. If you have an interstate store, they also sell refurbished batteries for about $40. The warranty is not very good but not a bad deal if you are on a budget. Interstate is usually pretty good with backing up their product so I would just find out from wherever you bought the battery, what they can do for you. They may prorate it and give you some money towards a new one.

Most brands buy from a few manufacturers, like Exide, Johnson Controls, etc. Gould was a large manufacturer, but Johnson Controls bought them and some others.

atthelake
12-17-2013, 12:31 AM
And make sure the cable ends are TIGHT! A lot of problems are just plain loose connections.

76S&S
12-17-2013, 09:46 AM

None!

JimN
12-17-2013, 10:02 AM
None!

Connect an ammeter or test light (the kind with a bulb, not LED) to measure current draw. Something is drawing current when the vehicles aren't being used.

What batteries (brand and part number) and what kind of vehicles?

Thrall
12-17-2013, 03:13 PM
Use Coke to clean apply dielectric greas and those little red and green circles around the post

This.... Coke will clean up the terminals nicely.
I agree with the leaking or off gassing around the terminal posts.
My pickup with top post batteries was corroding pretty bad for a year or more. 6 year old batteries.
Took all the terminals off, cleaned up the battery and put a layer of gasket sealant around the bottom of each post.
Eliminated 90% of the corrosion for the next year until I replaced them.

Snipe
12-17-2013, 04:15 PM
Connect an ammeter or test light (the kind with a bulb, not LED) to measure current draw. Something is drawing current when the vehicles aren't being used.

Clock is running, anti theft light is flashing, probably other stuff in today's computerized cars....:confused::(:mad:

thrall, that gasket sealant is a great idea.....keep 'em commin':banana: