PDA

View Full Version : Spider cracks around tracking fin

TallSkinnyGuy
11-26-2013, 08:35 PM
You really get to know the details of your boat when you hand wax it. I hadn't spent much time under my new-to-me '97 PS190 until recently when waxing it. It seems that the previous owner must have hit something with the first tracking fin -- the bottom of the fin is ground down a little and there are some spider cracks in the gelcoat emanating out from the front of the fin. How concerned about this should I be?

mikeg205
11-26-2013, 11:00 PM
doesn't look to bad.... but I am no expert..

Stefan
11-27-2013, 01:40 AM
Is there a little ding on the first fin, where it's white? Maybe you came in contact with something?

snork
11-27-2013, 08:21 AM
looks to me the fin has been replaced too

BrooksfamX2
11-27-2013, 10:28 AM
Don't look bad to me either. I have a few around the exhaust tips on my X2........

bigmac
11-27-2013, 01:05 PM
The number and pattern of the cracks suggest to me that it tool a pretty good hit. I'd be worried about damage to the underlying hull fiberglass. Does the fin wiggle at all?

The other concern would be permeability. Gelcoat is permeable under the best of circumstances, which can lead to blistering as water accumulates and separate the gelcoat layer from the barrier layer. I wonder if those cracks wouldn't facilitate water seeping between those same layers.

TallSkinnyGuy
11-27-2013, 02:23 PM
The number and pattern of the cracks suggest to me that it tool a pretty good hit. I'd be worried about damage to the underlying hull fiberglass. Does the fin wiggle at all?

The other concern would be permeability. Gelcoat is permeable under the best of circumstances, which can lead to blistering as water accumulates and separate the gelcoat layer from the barrier layer. I wonder if those cracks wouldn't facilitate water seeping between those same layers.

The tracking fin feels pretty solid, but my concern is permeability as you mentioned. I assume these cracks will make it easier for water to get in, but I don't know how serious of an issue this is. I'm trying to determine if I can just leave it and periodically check the stability of the tracking fin or if I should have it repaired immediately.

mikeg205
11-27-2013, 02:36 PM
The tracking fin feels pretty solid, but my concern is permeability as you mentioned. I assume these cracks will make it easier for water to get in, but I don't know how serious of an issue this is. I'm trying to determine if I can just leave it and periodically check the stability of the tracking fin or if I should have it repaired immediately.

That would be fairly easy to repair if you are handy at all. A dremel tool to grind out the cracks.

Remove the fin - repair gel - replace fin. Overtons sells gel coat with wax or your can get gel from spectrum.

CC2MC
12-16-2013, 12:03 PM
Don't look bad to me either. I have a few around the exhaust tips on my X2........

That is interesting you say this. My 210 has the same cracks, although it is not from hitting something, but looks to be from the screw holes. I will not know for sure until I remove the exhaust tips. I suspect mine are from the edges of screw holes in the gel not being chamfered to prevent the cracking. I got an estimate to repair it for about $500, which includes respraying that area. I bought some patch and I think I may attempt it myself, without respraying. I'm sure mine will not match bc it is red, but I figure if it doesn't match, I will just get it resprayed anyway.

As far as that tracking fin goes, it did take a pretty good wack, but I would not be concerned with the strength of the glass in that area, but the permeability as mentioned. The Keel is typically the thickest part of the hull so it can take quite a beating.