PDA

View Full Version : upgrading 50amp to 80 amp

vandam.justin
11-26-2013, 03:19 PM
I have a 2001 x30 and been having some electrical issues and thinking alternator. Anyone know of any issues with going from 50 to 80 with existing wiring? I just dont want to fry anything and hope this solves my issues and helps with upgrading the sound system later.

Tristarboarder
11-26-2013, 03:39 PM
You should be fine, but if you increase your stereo output later, you will want to upgrade your charging wire to at least 8 gauge.

bsloop
11-26-2013, 04:04 PM
So by "electrical issues" you feel the alternator is bad? Thus as long as you are replacing, might as well step up to greater output?

Take it to an auto shop or specialty electric that rebuilds alts and have them test.

Agreed, increasing the charging wire to at least 8ga would be good.
10ga which is likely what you have now, should be fine til increased system demands but anytime the alt is working at capacity like charging a depleted battery from playing the existing stereo, there will be greater resistance. For better understanding, google "big 3" in car audio. 8ga should be sufficient, and 4ga would be safe overkill for the run between alt and starter. Your crimp may be a weaker point in the heavier wire if not done correctly.

Berg Alban
12-19-2013, 08:45 PM
the ground wire is the most critical. On my 240, which came stock with a 65A alt, i left the main (positive) lead stock, it looked like decent cable. next time im working on that stuff i'll add a direct link from alt to battery of 10 mm2.

gweaver
12-19-2013, 10:07 PM
FWIW, I have an 88 and went from the stock 55 amp to a 105 amp with no wire changes and no problems.
G

skitilldark
12-20-2013, 09:38 AM
On my boat there was a 50amp breaker on the back side of the engine. That breaker needed to be upgraded as did the size of the wire going to and from the alternator. Not sure if MC has adjusted that to account for all the high power stereos everyone now runs or not.

curver900
12-20-2013, 11:39 AM
FWIW, I have an 88 and went from the stock 55 amp to a 105 amp with no wire changes and no problems.
G

usually you need to upgrade the cabling, unless you already had 2AWG. If it is 4 you are on the edge if it is 6 or 8 it is to small.

bsloop
12-20-2013, 03:04 PM
G

There will not be a "problem" per se. Trying to push 100A though 10ga wire will incur large resistance that will not deliver the alternator's full output to the electrical system. If run over a longer time, heat from resistance may be able to melt something but many times a boat does not run long enough with a draw to cause immediate failure.

If you abandoned the 3 wire for a self exciting 1 wire then the ground is direct and only the hot wire needs to be increased.