PDA

View Full Version : Battery Question

meg
11-22-2013, 11:22 AM
Do most people pull out there batteries over the winter? I have the battery switch that I can turn to off-just wondering if it would be better to pull out and put on trickle charger or if putting switch on off is enough?

thx

drschemel
11-22-2013, 11:29 AM
Depends on how cold it is where you are storing the boat. If is stays above freezing, then leave it in place. If it is going to be below freezing a lot, then take the battery out and leave in in the garage on the bettery tender. A charged battery won't freeze, but one that has discharged might.

mzimme
11-22-2013, 11:31 AM
Its always good to keep a battery at room temp. Extends the life tremendously. Heat cycles with batteries are their enemy.

rtw_travel
11-22-2013, 12:03 PM
I hate to admit it, but my batteries are stored in the unheated cottage crawl space for the winter. We aren't close enough to get them anywhere warm for the winter. The crawlspace is subject to full Canadian winter temperatures, and is probably well below freezing for days or weeks at a time.

Yes, that is against everything I've every read about maintaining batteries, and I used to feel guilty about doing it. I worried about the temperatures for the first few years, but now I don't even give it a second thought. Check fluid level and do a trickle charge when I get back to teh cottage, and then they are ready for the next summer. It does not seem to affect battery life as much as you'd think. Our boat batteries typically last 5 years+. The longest life was over 10 years even with the storage abuse.

I do take them out of the boat, though. The last thing I want to deal with is a battery leak inside the boat because something froze. However nothing has ever leaked.

Harry Reynolds
11-22-2013, 12:03 PM
I have pulled mine out over the winter and cycle them on and off of a tender for the past five years. They are normal car batteries and still working like champs!

03geetee
11-23-2013, 09:55 AM
Mine sit in all the boats and PWC all winter in an unheated un insulated garage from late Oct to April. On the MC and Pontoon I disconnect the ground, hook up the battery tender mini's and forget about em. In spring I check levels, give them a little boost during the night with a charger, reconnect and that is it. I use only interstate batteries and none of them have let me down. Replaced my battery in the MC when I bought it and we are on year 3 with no issues, the pontoon battery has to be at least 7-8 years old now and I have even used it to jump the MC when I was having starter troubles when I first got her.

PWC just hook up the tender and leave.

To each his own just sharing my experience.

PS almost forgot to say that every time I reconnect in the spring I lightly clean and grease the terminals with some Dielectric grease and change any battery cables or connections that look suspect. This will KILL your battery very quickly from constant battery strain trying to work through corroded cables or loose connections.

JTR

fskof
11-23-2013, 10:15 AM
I live in Wisconsin so what I always do is I pull the battery out of the boat and keep it in the basement on a Battery Tender Plus. My original battery lasted 9 years before I replaced it.

Snipe
11-23-2013, 12:04 PM
I live in Wisconsin so what I always do is I pull the battery out of the boat and keep it in the basement on a Battery Tender Plus. My original battery lasted 9 years before I replaced it.

That's what I've been doing for as long as I've had boats; just a car battery. I think it is a 650 cold cranking amps with a battery disconnect switch that I use when I'm done boating at the end of the day. No problems whatsoever. Don't set the battery on a concrete floor, just put a small board under to keep it off the floor. It seems the concrete has a tendency to drain batteries.

fskof
11-23-2013, 02:09 PM
That's what I've been doing for as long as I've had boats; just a car battery. I think it is a 650 cold cranking amps with a battery disconnect switch that I use when I'm done boating at the end of the day. No problems whatsoever. Don't set the battery on a concrete floor, just put a small board under to keep it off the floor. It seems the concrete has a tendency to drain batteries.

+1 I forgot to mention that. Always place the battery on a piece of wood and never on the concrete floor.

Mastercraft13
11-23-2013, 02:13 PM
https://www.mscdirect.com/product/43279215

This is the one I got, one for each battery. Just hooked it up and leave it plugged in, takes care of itself.

FourFourty
11-23-2013, 02:19 PM
+1 I forgot to mention that. Always place the battery on a piece of wood and never on the concrete floor.

Old wives tale.... Even parts stores store etc. store them on concrete floors these days.

That rule actually came from back in the days of non maintenance free batteries. Somebody would refill the battery before storing, a little bit could spill, and if not carefully cleaned, it would ruin the concrete floor. That rule was for saving the floor, not the battery. It has been confused over the years, and is now irrelevant with new maintenance free batteries.

Also, WAY WAY back in the day, batteries had a rubber like casing, that would seep onto a concrete floor....

And before that was wood cases with glass inside. Wood could absorb moisture from concrete floor, expand, and break the glass case.

93Prostar190
11-23-2013, 09:50 PM
A quality maintainer is good way to leave it in the boat ....

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/24/dytanydu.jpg