PDA

View Full Version : What next for my boat?

TallSkinnyGuy
11-22-2013, 12:13 PM
A few months ago I purchased a 1997 PS190 (the one in this thread: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=56517)

I now have a list of upgrades that I would like to do but don't have the funding to do more than one for next summer. The boat currently has a very nice tower, but no other upgrades. What do you guys think is most important to enhancing the experience with this boat? (Note: the boat will mostly be used for open-water slalom skiing, tubing for the kids and some wakeboarding for beginners/low intermediates.)

1) New CNC prop (currently has the stock forged 13" x 13").
2) Bimini (the boat came with one but it doesn't fit under the tower -- I am considering trying to modify this one to fit rather than buy a new one).
3) Slalom ski rack for the tower (I already have a wakeboard rack).
4) Training boom for the kids/friends.
5) Perfect Pass system.
6) Portable slalom course.

Cost is a significant issue for me. If you were in my shoes, what would you consider the most important upgrade?

jschildm
11-22-2013, 12:17 PM
Probably perfect pass, which might SHOULD be getting this winter/spring.

jschildm
11-22-2013, 12:21 PM
^Mine, not might .... its friday.

drschemel
11-22-2013, 12:23 PM
The most useful thing and probably the least expensive would be to get your bimini altered so it is usable. If your house is like mine, unhappy wife on the boat = no lake days! With that done, the slalom rack to keep the cabin uncluttered.

Traxx822
11-22-2013, 12:24 PM
Bimini, hands down.

TallSkinnyGuy
11-22-2013, 12:39 PM
The most useful thing and probably the least expensive would be to get your bimini altered so it is usable. If your house is like mine, unhappy wife on the boat = no lake days! With that done, the slalom rack to keep the cabin uncluttered.

Actually I am quite solarphobic, so the bimini mod is going to be pretty important to both me and my wife. I've been looking into doing the modification myself and spend time rather than money. If I can do this then I'll be able to take the bimini off my upgrades list and just include the items that will definitely require some coin.

So, if the bimini were off this list, what next (any other votes for the slalom rack?)?

_fng_
11-22-2013, 12:46 PM
Perfect pass, once you get it you'll wonder why you didn't get it sooner. Bimini is second but not close in my opinion.

rtw_travel
11-22-2013, 12:47 PM
If cost is an issue, why not do nothing and wait to see what you really need? You may find that you'll end up needing to spend your budget next summer on renting a vacation place and taking your boat, or on buying new water toys like skis & boards at the spring boat shows. The most important thing is to make the boat an important part of your family's recreation: no fun = boat for sale next year.

If you want to do something now, I'd pick the things that would add to the enjoyment of owning the boat in the first place: the bimini would be at the top. Water toys (not on your list) would be a close second. The boom may be useful depending on the family member's age, abilities, and activities you are trying to do. Perfect pass, prop, and ski rack would rank down lower on my list because they are only 'nice to have' items and the boat has presumably done OK without them for the past 16 years.

Ski-me
11-22-2013, 12:58 PM
Perfect pass was a little expensive, and I had never had one, but it is a GREAT addition! No more adjusting speed up and down, teaching someone time and time again. Set your name, hit enter and go. Speed is consistent and increases the overall enjoyment.

It's also a nice building factor for kids. Mine started at 26 MPH and slowly built up to 30 and 32 MPH. Each time we bumped it up, they felt like they just achieved the next level. And there is something to be said about them having their own "name setting" :)

You don't need the Mack Daddy PP either. I found someone that upgraded to the newer unit, so my Module was used (6.5ng version). Then I bought new, the multi-line gauge, wiring and servo. Just a cheaper way of doing it and it still works great. I have no paddlewheel or magnetic pickups. Just RPM based for slalom which keeps the costs down if you don't need wakeboarding as much.

I'm also surprised on the Boom bar. Again, find a Barefoot International used on CL. I've used it not only to barefoot, but it's a GREAT teacher for kids! Most kids improve by one level just using the boom. So for example, if they can't get up on two using rope.....they normally get up no problem on boom. Single ski is also easier to get the feel so I have better success rate teaching new kids.

Bimini.....wish I had one!! Fix yours.

Prop, I did the same change from 13x13 to CNC. It does help on the hole shot and top end....but at that price, it would be lower on my priority. Nice to have but not "required".

TallSkinnyGuy
11-22-2013, 01:20 PM
I did not list toys because I got those right after purchasing the boat. I had to do a road trip down to Southern California and looked up all the Craigslist locations on my route and found the best deals on toys. Got kids' and adult wakeboards, kids' doubles, kids' slalom, adult doubles, towable tube, slalom ski for my wife. We're all set for the core toys and things to do behind the boat.

I'm surprised the new prop isn't being rated higher. I've heard so many comments about how the new CNC props "transform" your boat. Great to get a perspective when putting it in a list of other potential upgrades.

mikeg205
11-22-2013, 01:22 PM
if you want to sell your bimini - let me know... what's with of your 190 where the bimini was mounted?

Ski-me
11-22-2013, 01:26 PM
I did not list toys because I got those right after purchasing the boat. I had to do a road trip down to Southern California and looked up all the Craigslist locations on my route and found the best deals on toys. Got kids' and adult wakeboards, kids' doubles, kids' slalom, adult doubles, towable tube, slalom ski for my wife. We're all set for the core toys and things to do behind the boat.

I'm surprised the new prop isn't being rated higher. I've heard so many comments about how the new CNC props "transform" your boat. Great to get a perspective when putting it in a list of other potential upgrades.

Not saying it helps, but priority wise, I remember the other things making more of an impact than the prop. It helps for sure but maybe you wait until you damage your current one. Then you have an excuse to repair, while also upgrading. Then the old prop is your 'backup'.

Because you have a 190, I'd also go for getting the skis on the tower. Moving gear around takes some effort and the more manageable, the better.

TallSkinnyGuy
11-22-2013, 01:44 PM
if you want to sell your bimini - let me know... what's with of your 190 where the bimini was mounted?

The mount point for the bimini was done pretty far back. I should be able to set up the bimini if I collapse the tower (just to test it), but I haven't tried yet. I am assuming it is going to be further back than I want, so if I modify the bimini to fit I will probably use a different mount point -- probably on the tower itself.

The previous owner said he only used the bimini once before he got the tower and discovered it would no longer fit. It is therefore in perfect condition, so I would like to use it if I can do the necessary modifications. If I end up determining it would be too big of a project for me I will sell it and buy a tower bimini -- but those things sure are pricey.

mikeg205
11-22-2013, 01:49 PM
The mount point for the bimini was done pretty far back. I should be able to set up the bimini if I collapse the tower (just to test it), but I haven't tried yet. I am assuming it is going to be further back than I want, so if I modify the bimini to fit I will probably use a different mount point -- probably on the tower itself.

The previous owner said he only used the bimini once before he got the tower and discovered it would no longer fit. It is therefore in perfect condition, so I would like to use it if I can do the necessary modifications. If I end up determining it would be too big of a project for me I will sell it and buy a tower bimini -- but those things sure are pricey.

Not to bad unless custom. could get stainless hardware and sunbrella under $400. One with a hole sewed in it for a skylon tower - about $600.

Bouyhead
11-22-2013, 01:55 PM
I'm with Ski-me, prop would be last on my list. Having the boom to teach kids is a must, nothing like having them right next to the boat. You don't NEED PP but it can really improve the consistancy of even recreational skiers & boarders. A two MPH jump in speed to a young tike on a slalom ski crossing the wake can feel like night and day.

scott023
11-22-2013, 02:10 PM
PP. Prop would also be last on my list of the things you mentioned.

flya750
11-22-2013, 03:08 PM
I have the same boat and love it.. (97/ ps190 w/lt1)

My vote would be perfect pass.. I understand your reasoning for placing the prop last on the list. But I will say.. after I upgraded the prop on my boat - it was a whole different boat. I got 50mph on the gps recently with boat empty of all gear and a full tank of gas. (ACME 541) Freakin' Rocket Ship now....

The new prop is a bit louder... which is a little bummer.. but the performance boost is night and day... different boat for sure. I'm talking throw you back in your seat acceleration from 35-45mph... its insane!

I'd like to get a bimini for mine some day ...Until then.. I will have to make due with a friends $7 dollar umbrella... I'm proud to show my support ;)

jschildm
11-22-2013, 03:14 PM
We do love our bimini, no doubt about that.

TxsRiverRat
11-22-2013, 03:38 PM
I love my slalom ski rack ;)

http://s22.postimg.org/frqkk1qo1/slalom_ski_rack.jpg

TallSkinnyGuy
11-22-2013, 03:49 PM
flya750 -- That umbrella is hilarious. I don't suppose you do 50mph with the umbrella up?
TxsRiverRat -- That is our storage area right now, too, but it does become a bit of a pain when we have four slalom skis and a few life vests piled in that area. That is why I am considering a ski rack. Strangely, it seems like most of them I have found are not designed for a double boot and don't have enough space in between the forks.

TallSkinnyGuy
11-22-2013, 03:52 PM
Regarding the prop, my biggest reason for adding it to the list was this review:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=31670
which was a prop test with my same hull, engine and transmission.
I like the idea of softening the wake substantially and getting rid of the rooster tail.

craig3972
11-22-2013, 04:08 PM
Bimini?, whats that - I live in Canada, I need all the heat I can get.
Perfect Pass - dont they call it the "marrige saver"

JohnE
11-22-2013, 04:30 PM
Perfect Pass gets my vote. Hands down

TxsRiverRat
11-22-2013, 06:10 PM
Perfect Pass gets my vote. Hands down

PP is def the 1st thing I would want.

re: the ski rack, since we operate at a club site alot, we limit the crew to 3 skiers at the river site... at the lake, we just dont put anything on the boat at all.

neil.anderson63
11-22-2013, 07:18 PM
Bimini first - Then slalom ski rack for the tower - I had board and ski racks on our X9 - The nice thing about the ski rack is that you can still put boards in it. Nice looking boat!!

Footin
11-22-2013, 09:09 PM
Bimini by a landslide.

TallSkinnyGuy
11-22-2013, 11:30 PM
Okay, so I probably shouldn't have even put bimini on the list because it is so obvious that I must have one. Which is pretty funny because I remember thinking how stupid biminis looked when I was a kid and there was this one older lady on our lake who trick skied and always had her bimini up. I thought biminis were just for old lady trick skiers. And now I can't really be in a boat between 9am and 6pm in the summer without one.

It has been pretty interesting how a new prop is not getting much love. I just re-read some threads about props and there are a lot of people saying it is the best money they ever spent and how it transforms the boat. But I can certainly see how a Perfect Pass would be a really valuable addition. I sure hope I can get all this stuff someday.

Footin
11-22-2013, 11:45 PM
After my bimini, the next thing I got was an Acme 541 CNC prop. It made a BIG difference in the hole shot and "smoothness". I will be selling my 205 in the spring and before I list it I will put the stock prop back on and sell the Acme.

OHIOPRO205
11-23-2013, 09:30 AM
I want first dibs on that prop!!!

Traxx822
11-23-2013, 10:03 AM
Okay, so I probably shouldn't have even put bimini on the list because it is so obvious that I must have one. Which is pretty funny because I remember thinking how stupid biminis looked when I was a kid and there was this one older lady on our lake who trick skied and always had her bimini up. I thought biminis were just for old lady trick skiers. And now I can't really be in a boat between 9am and 6pm in the summer without one.

It has been pretty interesting how a new prop is not getting much love. I just re-read some threads about props and there are a lot of people saying it is the best money they ever spent and how it transforms the boat. But I can certainly see how a Perfect Pass would be a really valuable addition. I sure hope I can get all this stuff someday.

I have all the things on your list on my boat. My favorite upgrade from your list is personally the PP. Minus the Bimini since you posted above that was a necessary option.

PP gave me the ability to ride my own boat. With almost any novice driver.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

madcityskier
11-23-2013, 10:21 AM
If the driver is paying attention I would see no need for perfect pass for open water skiing, but that's a big if. I would go boom first. Look for a used one, and once the kids are up and about get them behind the boat sooner. The less time they spend with it, the more $ it was worth. The best transition I've found, is to move them to a short rope from the tower. Prop can be a big thing as it can affect the wake and roostertail significantly. I guess it depends where you live, but I don't want a bimini at all. That's why God made sunblock and drinks. We want to catch the sun as much as possible because the snow is always coming sooner than you think. That said, we live 10 minutes from water, so don't feel like we have to be out all day to make it worth the drive. If I had to tow for an hour or more, that would likely change. The ski rack frees up a nice amount of usable space. Again, you might be able to find a used one for a deal if you look around enough. Congrats on the boat.

Footin
11-23-2013, 10:41 AM
I want first dibs on that prop!!!

You got it.

Table Rocker
11-23-2013, 10:43 AM
Madcityskier makes a good point. Your situation at the lake makes all the difference in the world. When I am at Table Rock, we have a dock and the need to pile a bunch of stuff in the boat is next to nil. Extra storage is not really needed, neither is the bimini. PP would be nice and a new prop would too.

When we go to Beaver Lake, we have to load everything we need for the day in boat. Two coolers, three skis, two wake boards, etc. My boat is much smaller on Beaver Lake due to all the cargo. A place to get out of the sun would be nice too.

TallSkinnyGuy
11-23-2013, 09:41 PM
I am about 30 minutes from the closest good lake and there is no dock to keep our stuff, so everything goes in the boat and we can be out on the water for numerous hours. Thus, the bimini is truly a requirement for me and the out-of-the-way storage really sounds nice. I skied a bunch this past summer with a buddy of mine who has an old SN and we piled all the gear (skis, wakeboards, life vests, etc.) got piled behind the driver seat. It seemed like, somehow, every time it was your turn to ski, your ski was buried at the bottom of the pile. Annoying, but really just a convenience issue. My boat came with a tower and is not going to see a lot of wakeboarding, so it seems a waste to not be using it for getting gear out of the way.

I have two friends with booms and trained my kids to ski on them last summer. I know the value of them better than some of the other things on my list since I have used booms quite a bit. My only reason to second guess acquiring a boom myself is because I have friends with booms. But I know that it will make for a much better learning experience for any beginner friends that we may take out.

I don't have any experience with PP, but I've been looking into it and reading comments about it in this thread and many others, and it really does sound like a great addition to a boat. I really appreciate those who have experience with the items on my list throwing in their comments. It is really helping my prioritize my list.

LaRue
11-23-2013, 10:51 PM
Sounds like Bimini....racks...then PP. That is the order we followed although Bimini and racks were done at same time. Stargazer PP is phenomenal but I would want shade and room to move around before consistent pull. That said, once you have PP, you will be thrilled!

BGcraft
11-24-2013, 01:23 AM
+1 on the Bimini as it will definately knock the sun off you. Almost a must for TN summers.

One other upgrade you could consider would be a PTM Edge mirror. Field of view game changer.

Happy holidays.

BG

flya750
11-24-2013, 07:31 PM
hmmmmmm... I'm thinking I need one of those fancy mirrors... Thanks BG! Great Idea!

+1 on the Bimini as it will definately knock the sun off you. Almost a must for TN summers.

One other upgrade you could consider would be a PTM Edge mirror. Field of view game changer.

Happy holidays.

BG

TallSkinnyGuy
10-31-2014, 02:31 PM
I am bringing back my old thread after my first full season. Here is my update:

1) I stumbled across a bimini on Craigslist that was perfect to fit on my tower. He was selling it because his X7 was about 6 or 7 inches wider than my boat and the bimini didn't fit well on his boat due to being too narrow. $80 later and I had a bimini that is perfect for my boat.

2) I also found a Barefoot Int'l boom in perfect condition on Craigslist for $150 and that turned out to be a great addition to the boat. We took a lot of friends out this summer who were first-timers and had 100% success with getting them up using the boom. That really made a big difference in the enjoyment of our boat for both my family and our friends.

3) I already had a wakeboard rack for one side of the tower but then purchased a ski rack from New Dimensions (my brother and I bought that as a Christmas present for the boat rather than giving each other gifts). I enjoyed that more than I expected because it was really easy to use and uncluttered the floor by getting the gear up off the floor but still very accessible.

So, 3 of the 6 items in my original list I added for this past season and I am very happy with all of them. PP was just too far out of my budget range last year, but my business fortunately did a little better than usual this year, so PP is a scheduled addition for next spring. Really looking forward to that.

I also plan on upgrading my prop and will probably go with an OJ XMP 13x11.5 based largely on BrianM's review from a few years ago. I have the same boat, engine and transmission as BrianM when he did that review and even have the same goals, but he was mainly comparing CNC props and did not discuss specifics regarding the change from the original hand-finished prop.

So, my question is for those of you who primarily slalom behind a PS 190 and upgraded from your original 13x13 prop to a new CNC prop. What difference should I expect with the wake and rooster tail?

Most people talk about the "performance" gain when going to CNC. However, I don't care about increased speed or increased hole shot. I mainly care about what is going to happen to the wake. Smaller and/or softer with less rooster tail at 28-34mph is what I want most. I know I can spend time testing props, but I hope to hear from some of you with experience in the matter first. Thanks for your input.