PDA

View Full Version : Engine MFG question

jbkriss
11-21-2013, 10:56 AM
Are there any major differences between the PCMs, the Indmars, and the Ilmors? I've owned PCM and Indmar before. I couldn't tell any real difference. Does one use better components/materials during the marinization process versus another? Just curious as to what the opinions on each are here. Thanks.

snork
11-21-2013, 11:27 AM
It appears the PCM use less gas but it'll never be proven because not one boat manufacture uses a combination of any of the mention motors
Personally I like what Ilmor offers

Seano
11-21-2013, 12:39 PM
It appears the PCM use less gas but it'll never be proven because not one boat manufacture uses a combination of any of the mention motors
Personally I like what Ilmor offers

If you haven't already, check out the factory tour of Ilmor on MC TV

Snipe
11-21-2013, 07:27 PM

I had a PCM in my former boat and I can truthfully say I used less gas. That motor was carburated the Indmar in my MasterCraft is EFI and definitely uses more gas.:twocents:

FourFourty
11-21-2013, 08:05 PM
Ilmore is going to be a tiny bit easier to work on. Top mount oil filter, high mount alternator, and a couple other little things. I believe that they claim that the marine components are better, but I didn't see where the Indmar components were sub par. That being said, my dealer says that he has seen a drastic reduction in engine gremlins since the change. He said Indmars had a tendency to have little issues here and there, and he doesn't see that with Ilmore.

Besides the marine components, most all of the offerings are based on the same engines, and are very similar, with the exception of the Ilmore 7.4l. That is a hand built engine, and uses all Ilmore designed, forged, internals. It is based on a custom machined GM LSX series small block, and it is an animal.

willyt
11-21-2013, 08:43 PM
PCM also does not have an LS3/L99 offering - they're still using an L92 (sequel to the LY6 - correct?) with a different cam and intake. check out the CA air board testing. See if the output match up to what the mfg claims for each of them.

snork
11-21-2013, 08:48 PM
doesn't really matter what GM block they use rumor has it GM is out by 2015 and everyone will either use Ford, Dodge, Cummins, Cat or VW

CruisinGA
11-21-2013, 09:39 PM
doesn't really matter what GM block they use rumor has it GM is out by 2015 and everyone will either use Ford, Dodge, Cummins, Cat or VW

I work for CAT, a yellow powered ski boat (probably more like X80) would be so cool. :D

http://marine.cat.com/cda/files/895893/7/C7-2.jpg

willyt
11-22-2013, 09:00 AM
X80? naw, i'd take one in my star

Mastercraftdave
11-22-2013, 11:02 AM
FourFourty - You are correct about the simplicity of some of those components but one place where they took a step back IMO is the water pump. The fact that you have to remove the belt, alternator and pulley to get to the water pump and in such a tight space is mind boggling. it takes an hour to remove all the parts carefully just to get to the pump. The water Pump on my Indmar in my Malibu was under the exhaust manifold which could easily be removed and accessed. I had a gremlin in my boat right when I got it as my water pump was chewed up after three hours of use and learned real quick how much fun it is to change the water pump on the 6.2. Ever since I had that problem the engine has run flawlessly.

rtw_travel
11-23-2013, 11:26 AM
My local MC dealer says that they are doing fewer warranty repairs on ilmor engines- not sure if that is reality or just salesman talk, but I recall reading the same thing somewhere.

atihanyi
11-23-2013, 08:46 PM

I wouldn't tube behind a boat with a vw engine in it let alone ski it that would be a very sad day

JRW160
11-23-2013, 10:44 PM
I wouldn't tube behind a boat with a vw engine in it let alone ski it that would be a very sad day
The vw diesels were a very expensive option on the x80 for a few years

mikeg205
11-24-2013, 11:46 AM
My local MC dealer says that they are doing fewer warranty repairs on ilmor engines- not sure if that is reality or just salesman talk, but I recall reading the same thing somewhere.

It will be interesting how these engines will be along with part availability when some one like me can afford to by an MC with an Ilmore...

The Ilmore's had some goofy issues as well - such as raw water pump placement and belt wear. I believe if you remove the LT1 cooling issues (and now crank sensor availability) - the 351's and 350's are rock solid... IMO..

It will be interesting to see what happens when ECU's start to fail. Not so much the processor itself but from capacitors that have a rated life... hopefully the have a 10,000 hour life.. :)

Aric'sX15
11-24-2013, 02:49 PM

Why? Cause you couldnt hang on to the rope due to large amounts of torque? Haha

501s
11-24-2013, 02:54 PM
I had an Indmar 5.7 with 400 hours without a problem on my Moomba and now I have had an Ilmor 5.7 and 6.0 each with about 100 hours and not a problem. I feel the Ilmor 5.7 as compared to the Indmar had a little more power.

One big difference is the Ilmors are a LOT easier to work on in every way. Oil changes, fluid changes, winterization were all easier.

JimN
11-24-2013, 03:12 PM
I find it interesting that people comment on Ilmor's improvements to oil/fluid changes when the parts to make this easier have been available for decades, but I don't remember seeing that anyone has asked or commented about them.

snork
11-24-2013, 04:12 PM
Jim do you have any recommendations for a MCX

mikeg205
11-24-2013, 04:13 PM
I had an Indmar 5.7 with 400 hours without a problem on my Moomba and now I have had an Ilmor 5.7 and 6.0 each with about 100 hours and not a problem. I feel the Ilmor 5.7 as compared to the Indmar had a little more power.

One big difference is the Ilmors are a LOT easier to work on in every way. Oil changes, fluid changes, winterization were all easier.

What year was your Moomba? was it Carb'd, TBI, MPI? Which heads?

mikeg205
11-24-2013, 04:15 PM
I find it interesting that people comment on Ilmor's improvements to oil/fluid changes when the parts to make this easier have been available for decades, but I don't remember seeing that anyone has asked or commented about them.

The only way for my Indmar to be easier when changing oil is to have it done by some one else. ... ;)

JimN
11-24-2013, 06:09 PM
Jim do you have any recommendations for a MCX

Regarding what, exactly?

snork
11-24-2013, 08:21 PM
remote oil filter kit

JimN
11-24-2013, 09:18 PM
remote oil filter kit

You could probably find it if you use google, or check with a local parts store. Just tell them you have a 350 ci GM engine.

501s
11-24-2013, 11:07 PM
I had a 2008 with the 340 Cat motor.

It's not that it was all tbad to work on, in fact it was pretty easy, but the Ilmor is just easier. Also my Indmar drained very very slowly through the tube out the rear drain plug hole but my Ilmor drains much faster. Minor points of course.

Bouyhead
11-24-2013, 11:17 PM
My PCM came with an optional drain kit. I can drain the heat exchanger, & manifolds from one drain plug located on the front of the motor under the lower pulley.