PDA

View Full Version : X14: Is there any Threads or opinions

gsxrjtt
11-21-2013, 09:26 AM
Can any one post me some Threads on X14's I cant seem to find many. Any opinions on this boat would be great looking at a 2009..

skitilldark
11-21-2013, 09:32 AM
Can any one post me some Threads on X14's I cant seem to find many. Any opinions on this boat would be great looking at a 2009..

The x14 is the evolution of the x9/209. They moved the engine to the rear and made changes to the hull to enhance wakes for surfing/wake boarding. It is a great multi-use boat and although I haven't skied on one yet, I imagine the wake is crisper at the top for wake boarding than my boat (209/x9). I think there might be some x14's that are direct drive as well but others should weigh in on whether that is accurate or not.

Aric'sX15
11-21-2013, 09:36 AM
I don't think the 14 and the x9 share any hull designs. Also in 2009 they were direct drive. 2010 was when the 14v came out.
There's a few 14 owners on here, hopefully they chime in. You flipping this boat or keeping? Haha

shepherd
11-21-2013, 09:45 AM
Here's one:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=39449&highlight=owners

gsxrjtt
11-21-2013, 10:04 AM
arics: same as usual trying to rescue a boat from sitting and lack of use.. I see they are around but not many people seem to have them so just dont know if they didnt sell well or just for a particular boater.

eficalibrator
11-21-2013, 11:25 AM
The X14 is not anything like the X9, even DD vs DD version. The X14 is a stretched version of the x7 (ps197) and slalom skis MUCH better than the X9/ps209. The X9 has a great surfable wake at 11mph with ballast, where the x14DD is kind of washed out. The X9 also has a better wakeboard wake/lip at 20-21mph, but the table doesn't really go away by 30mph for slower slalom skiers. I slalom more, so I have a ps214 (x14).

jackpita
11-21-2013, 11:28 AM
Found one this summer. Over 80 hours since august. Great boat. 31+ awesome wake for slalom. Good wake board. Surf with added ballast. It's designed to do all three, with skiing the most important. I love it and for what we do, wouldn't want anything else. DD makes for very easy maintenance too.

cdstukey
11-21-2013, 12:51 PM
Here's another.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=32937

The short version is it a boat targeted towards skiers that want to be able to do other activities as well. Jack of all trades, master of none. For rec skies coming from lager boats the ski wake is pretty nice. For course guys coming from comp boats it's an adjustment. It can throw a decent wakeboard wake, but size and shape is a personal matter so I wouldn't comment on if I it's good or not. You can surf it, but you need to add additional ballast and the large platform can cause some knock down. The big debate is which is better V or DD. It seems to me that those who ride with grown ups like the DD, those with kids like the V. For the record, I prefer DD boats. My wife likes the Vdrive layout. As you might guess, we own a x-14v.

skitilldark
11-21-2013, 01:07 PM
The X14 is not anything like the X9, even DD vs DD version. The X14 is a stretched version of the x7 (ps197) and slalom skis MUCH better than the X9/ps209. The X9 has a great surfable wake at 11mph with ballast, where the x14DD is kind of washed out. The X9 also has a better wakeboard wake/lip at 20-21mph, but the table doesn't really go away by 30mph for slower slalom skiers. I slalom more, so I have a ps214 (x14).

Just going off what John dorton told me just before the x14 came out. I assumed since he was president of MC, he knew!

H2ORidr
11-21-2013, 05:24 PM
I've got a 2007 X14 direct drive although I am not enough of a good owner to know what is good or bad. I did see an awesome ski wake at 28-30 mph with it. Flat and reasonable. At 17-19 it kicks up a wakeboard wake that is scary to me. I was out on it and being a 2 year newb at wakeboarding it scared me pretty good. We dropped a lot of ballast and I could handle it. We filled up the ballast and dropped it down to ~9 mph and the surf wake it kicked up was darn impressive. We have never surfed so I have no opinion if it was good or bad, but it was present (~30-36" tall) and was a lot more wave than I see at many beaches where people surf.

The folks at my local MC dealer have all had nothing but good things to say about those boats and those years and they make me feel good like I bought the right boat for my family's needs. Next year we will run it a lot and see how it does for us.

Ironhorse
11-21-2013, 07:07 PM
I have an 08 and love it. i am a skier and the wake is good (not great) at a 15 off 34mph. The boat is also a practical wakeboard boat with ballast but as mentioned above requires additional weight for surfing. I would have a tough time picking another boat with ballast that skis this well.

ProTour X9
11-21-2013, 09:27 PM
Call me crazy, but I regularly ski an X9 and have skied the X14. X14 wake felt noticeably larger and harder; also it isn't symmetrical due to the wrap around seating. That being said, there were a few variables between the two, so I could be wrong, but I'm convinced the X9 ski wake is smaller.

93Prostar190
11-21-2013, 10:32 PM
214 owner here .... Great all round boat and we ski the course with ours ...... The flat bottom hull is different than the 209 platform and is based on the EVO hull of the 197/190 platform ...... Plenty of space and a decent wake boat, I would not call it a surf able boat in the DD version ..... A DD 214 was AWSA approved if memory serves correctly in 2007/08 ...

eficalibrator
11-22-2013, 09:40 AM
ProTour-X9, That's weird, I had the exact opposite experience. I find my ps214dd wake softer at all speeds than my friend's X9. There is way more pop to the lip on his at 21mph, but his slalom wake feels like hitting a curb compared to mine. The 214 has a wake at 30mph, but it's soft enough to cut through pretty easily. They also get a fantastic surf wake from his X9 and my ps214 is *barely* surfable for me.

ProTour X9
11-22-2013, 10:25 AM
I know, the crazy thing is the X14 owners skied my boat before I skied theirs. They said the X9's wake was smaller, and I told them they were nuts (because, yes there is definitely a wake there). So on my first cut behind the 14 I wasn't expecting the bump I hit, and they could see it in my face and said "told you." But, my X9 is always as empty as possible when I ski it and I can't say how much gear/fuel was in the X14. I can only go off of my experience; I've skied behind a few different 190 hulls, a Response, and an Outback, and the X14 wake wasn't that impressive. The general consensus is that the X14 wake is smaller than the X9's, maybe I'll have to give it another chance.

Ryan
11-22-2013, 10:39 AM
Just going off what John dorton told me just before the x14 came out. I assumed since he was president of MC, he knew!

Who? The CEO of Bryant? JK

I think what you said about evolution of the X9 is right from the perspective of the marketing positioning for the 214/x14 in the lineup, but as mentioned, not for hull-development.