PDA

View Full Version : Prostar 195 -vs- Prostar 197

giantjoe
11-19-2013, 10:47 AM
Hey we've been shopping for a boat and are close to a decision. We have two different 195 hulls (a Prostar and an X-5) that we're comparing that are pretty equivalent, and a 197 that's a few years newer but also more money. How's the skiing wake compare between the two hulls?

I'm a new skier, my wife is pretty experienced, skiing is the major concern. We would be using it at a multiuse boat, so any info on surfing/wakeboarding is also relevant. Is perfect pass necessary for skiing the course? I'm a new driver, and I'd like to make sure my wife gets clean runs.

Any info is appreciated. We've read up a bunch on the 195 and know it is (arguably) the best hull ever designed... Can the 197 hold a candle to it?

JohnE
11-19-2013, 11:08 AM
Hey we've been shopping for a boat and are close to a decision. We have two different 195 hulls (a Prostar and an X-5) that we're comparing that are pretty equivalent, and a 197 that's a few years newer but also more money. How's the skiing wake compare between the two hulls?

I'm a new skier, my wife is pretty experienced, skiing is the major concern. We would be using it at a multiuse boat, so any info on surfing/wakeboarding is also relevant. Is perfect pass necessary for skiing the course? I'm a new driver, and I'd like to make sure my wife gets clean runs.

Any info is appreciated. We've read up a bunch on the 195 and know it is (arguably) the best hull ever designed... Can the 197 hold a candle to it?

Definitely a difference between them. What speed does your wife ski? Can you link some ads? A lot of the decision (if it were me buying) would be based on the price and condition of each boat. Both are great slalom machines. What year 197? Perfect Pass is an absolute must, IMO.

Burdhntr
11-19-2013, 12:36 PM
My experience (and I'm assuming the 195 is mid 90s vs newer 197) is that the 197 will have more torque due to its size but that the 195 will have a slightly smaller wake. I just moved up to a 197 and I like its extra comfort, size, and ability to pull stronger and more consistenly, but I sometimes miss my old (albeit slightly) smaller wake.

If you are interested in wakeboarding or surfing, forget about the 195. Just can't load enough weight in them.

east tx skier
11-19-2013, 04:10 PM
The 195 was a more posh version of the Sporstar OB. It was produced in 2000 and 2001. It is the same hull as the venerable 1995--1997 Pro Star 190. It will have a little more bow weight due to the seating, but the wake will be comparable. Depending on the engine transmission combination, it might have a bit more get up than a 197 due to less wetted surface.

In the end, either boat should ski well and condition and features should probably be more indicative of which boat to buy.

giantjoe
11-19-2013, 05:30 PM
2000 X-5, 2001 Prostar, 2004 Prostar with the Caddy engine. Wife skis around 31 I ski around 34-36. I'm big, but not so awesome in the turns yet.

Cloaked
11-19-2013, 08:22 PM
........would be using it at a multiuse boat, so any info on surfing/wakeboarding is also relevant. Is perfect pass necessary for skiing the course? I'm a new driver, and I'd like to make sure my wife gets clean runs.

Any info is appreciated. We've read up a bunch on the 195 and know it is (arguably) the best hull ever designed... Can the 197 hold a candle to it?A hard sell to find a slalom wake for course skiing and expect a surf or board wake. But I'm old school and slalom (which I call skiing) and could not use a cross-over substitute.

I'd consider either boat for course skiing (keeping the wife happy) and call is a done deal. The 195 is a bit shorter, thus a slightly different weight distribution, but to the common skier, not much difference. With either one, you'll not see a significant difference. Don't expect surfing and wakeboarding from either hull for what they are intended.

If one has PerfectPass and the other doesn't, that would be a strong factor for me to consider. PerfectPass is a marriage saver....you'll score big with the Mrs with a PP.

atihanyi
11-19-2013, 10:04 PM
based on my limited experience skiing behind an x5 I would pass on that boat.the wake is too hard imo
ive skied several 190's and 197's and no complaints into 28 off all will have a 22 bump never skied a 195

Bouyhead
11-19-2013, 10:21 PM
Keep in mind the options that you might want and what they cost NEW if you need to purchase them. As others have said Perfect Pass Is a must for slalom, even if its recreational, $1280 brand new. Bimini? About $450-$700 and a good quality boat cover which most boats come with, about $600-$800 those three are a must IMHO. Other nice options are a heater and stereo. Just some things to think about when comparing boats.

giantjoe
11-20-2013, 12:21 AM
http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAd?AdId=526338848
http://kelowna.en.craigslist.ca/boa/4110307929.html
http://kamloops.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAd?AdId=486450301

Only one with PP is the 197. All have Bimini and covers. The 197 is immaculate. The upholstery is poor on the red one, but good gel, the green has moderate damage everywhere.

Surfing and wakeboarding is a minor concern only. We want a ski boat.

giantjoe
11-20-2013, 12:46 AM
The yellow is want want want, but I'm thinking I can put a lot of money in the red one before I get near to the asking price of the yellow one.

Mark rsa2au
11-20-2013, 04:26 AM
based on my limited experience skiing behind an x5 I would pass on that boat.the wake is too hard imo
ive skied several 190's and 197's and no complaints into 28 off all will have a 22 bump never skied a 195

REALLY??? The X5 is the same hull as the 195 prostar and I believe almost identical to the 190. I have an X5 and don't find the wake hard, in fact I can hardly find the wake at 35. I think it is a great wake to ski. At 20 with full sacks and a few bodies on the back seats the wake is sufficient for most intermediate wakeboarders. There is no surf wake from an X5, and why would there be it's not designed to do it.

For the average skier you would have to go a long way to beat any of the slalom wakes on the above boats. If you wanted to break world records well then that's another discussion.

Bouyhead
11-20-2013, 08:27 AM
http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAd?AdId=526338848
http://kelowna.en.craigslist.ca/boa/4110307929.html
http://kamloops.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAd?AdId=486450301

Only one with PP is the 197. All have Bimini and covers. The 197 is immaculate. The upholstery is poor on the red one, but good gel, the green has moderate damage everywhere.

Surfing and wakeboarding is a minor concern only. We want a ski boat.

The yellow is want want want, but I'm thinking I can put a lot of money in the red one before I get near to the asking price of the yellow one.

I couldn't open the link for the red boat but the 197 gets my vote. Did you see the 197 in person? Everthing always looks mint in pictures. Besides the obvious pay close attention to the vinyl and stiching. Good time of the year to buy. Be ready to go, and start low. Good Luck!

JohnE
11-20-2013, 09:18 AM

No question I would buy the 197 over the other 2 if I could afford it.

giantjoe
11-20-2013, 10:32 AM
Yeah, I haven't seen the red or green ones yet. I took a long drive last night to see the 197, it is perfect in every way. He's not budging on price though.

giantjoe
11-20-2013, 10:42 AM
The guy claims the x-5 is perfect on the outside. It sits on a lift most of the summer. I'd suspect without a cover on since the interior is pretty messed up. Splitting on the seams on the rear seat, the rear deck and the observer seats. It has a shower and a heater, both other boats don't. That tower is ugly though, and there aren't any racks on it. A necessity on such a small boat I think. This guy loves the boat from what I've heard, but I think he made a mistake this year leaving it on the lift.

We were super excited to see the green one, but have since found out it doesn't have perfect pass, so I got him to knock $2k off over the phone. This boat is in standard condition, a couple little tears here and there, a few nicks in the gel coat, etc. it also comes with EVERYTHING required to toss it in the water and go. Ropes, fenders, jackets, a wakeboard and surfboard, etc. good thing too, we have our own skis.

skitilldark
11-20-2013, 12:57 PM
The 195 has a weird little thing with the wake around 35 mph. It double v's right about where, using a 50ft rope, I would cross the wake. It creates a little "dip" between the first v and the second v that would make my slalom ski tip want to dip slightly. A better slalom skier probably could care less about it, but it really threw off my confidence crossing the wake. I found myself pulling less hard Pre wake so therefore I just didn't ride as well behind it as I do in the new 197.

Hammer
11-20-2013, 01:24 PM
I keep my 01 quite well and always stored inside my garage and the seats have started tearing. I am very careful and always treat them with 303 and gentle cleaners and it still happened. I have owned it since the spring of 02 , bough with 20 hours, and have been disappointed in the vinyl.
I think it skies great. The only thing wake wise is a 22 off bump. I love the boat and can't see how anyone would complain about the wake. That being said, if money was no object then the 197 would be a no brainer. But at a $10K difference I just can't see that much difference. The 197 does have more room in it, especially on the bow. The room aspect is the only thing that almost has me swayed to make the move from my 195 to the 197. But the only way I will do it is if I can make the stretch to a TT model with ZO and a mini tower. Right now, Not gonna happen. My boat does to many thing so well that just can't justify it yet.

PS195
11-20-2013, 01:55 PM
agree with Hammer, we have 2000 ps195, ski's fantstic, we do not have pp, I ski with my sons, they are both excellent slalom ski'ers and footers, could not be happier with the boat we are now just over 400hrs.

VTJC
11-20-2013, 06:50 PM
197 will track better and drive easier than a PS 195/X5, especially with just a driver and no observer. I wont buy another PS 95-97(SportStar/195/X5) hull because its allot harder for my wife to drive in the course than a 197 or other late model hulls.

pram
11-20-2013, 07:37 PM
Give me 17,500 and Ill give you my 95 - 205 LT1 310hours, tandem trailer, new perfect pass, new stereo, bimini, cover

Hammer
11-20-2013, 07:49 PM
Give me 17,500 and Ill give you my 95 - 205 LT1 310hours, tandem trailer, new perfect pass, new stereo, bimini, cover

And I bet he'll pay shipping!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

wheelerd
11-21-2013, 12:56 AM
The guy claims the x-5 is perfect on the outside. It sits on a lift most of the summer. I'd suspect without a cover on since the interior is pretty messed up. Splitting on the seams on the rear seat, the rear deck and the observer seats. It has a shower and a heater, both other boats don't. That tower is ugly though, and there aren't any racks on it. A necessity on such a small boat I think. This guy loves the boat from what I've heard, but I think he made a mistake this year leaving it on the lift.

We were super excited to see the green one, but have since found out it doesn't have perfect pass, so I got him to knock $2k off over the phone. This boat is in standard condition, a couple little tears here and there, a few nicks in the gel coat, etc. it also comes with EVERYTHING required to toss it in the water and go. Ropes, fenders, jackets, a wakeboard and surfboard, etc. good thing too, we have our own skis.

Ya, the tower on that X5 is fugly. The one on the green 195 is much nicer and the additional sac options are nice. You'll have to decide if you can live with a green boat.;)

We enjoyed our X5 and sold it this spring here in Red Deer for $19,000. (It didn't have PP but the observer, both bow and rear seat bottoms were reupholstered. I had also installed a two-duct heater. I also had purchased a Sunbrella cover the year before.) It was great for skiing and did just fine with stock ballast for beginner/intermediate boarding. We never tried surfing with it -- might be possible but would take a huge amount of ballast and still might not be very good.

For the extra $10K you'll get a nicer boat but from a functional perspective it won't be that much different. You can add PP for $1300 or so. Small nicks in the gel can either be polished out or filled with matching gel paste from Spectrum.

giantjoe
11-21-2013, 07:26 PM
So, after seeing the X-5 there was no possible way I could justify the 197 at double the cost. I'm the proud new owner of an X-5!

I was surprised to see that it was in immaculate condition, the interior was sun damaged so it was just worn. Other than that there wasn't a single tear or anything in it, just pulled seams.

wheelerd
11-21-2013, 07:34 PM
Good for you! You'll enjoy the boat. More pics needed!
My X5 rear seat was just like that -- same number of hours. I think it cost me $300 to have it reupholstered. I removed and reinstalled the skin myself.

Where in Canada are you? From the boats you've been looking at I'd guess out west.

giantjoe
11-21-2013, 08:01 PM
I'm a Calgary fella. I'll do more pics when I get home.

giantjoe
11-21-2013, 09:55 PM
It'll only allow me to upload one pic at a time...

giantjoe
11-21-2013, 09:56 PM
And another

giantjoe
11-21-2013, 09:57 PM
Last one

Hammer
11-21-2013, 10:54 PM
I wonder what happened to the original tower? That is an aftermarket tower I'm pretty sure. All X5s came with the ND towers.

Hammer
11-21-2013, 10:55 PM
Great boat by the way! :-)

giantjoe
11-21-2013, 11:00 PM
There's a sticker that says zero flex flyer. I think it is the factory tower. Did they change them in 2001? I'll have to go look at the owners manual and check what the pics look like.

giantjoe
11-21-2013, 11:17 PM
It's definitely the factory tower.

dt37803
11-21-2013, 11:20 PM
Looks like the factory tower http://www.waterskimag.com/ski-boats/2001/06/14/mastercraft-x5/

Hammer
11-22-2013, 12:40 AM
Looks like the factory tower http://www.waterskimag.com/ski-boats/2001/06/14/mastercraft-x5/

That is the ND tower. It has the base hoop that follows the windshield line. Must be the change was made in the tower design in 01.

wheelerd
11-22-2013, 12:42 AM
I wonder what happened to the original tower? That is an aftermarket tower I'm pretty sure. All X5s came with the ND towers.

That tower was used up through 2000. Maybe there was a carryover between the old and new styles as the model year changed. However, I have seen a couple adds for 2000 X5's that had the new tower though.

giantjoe
11-22-2013, 12:47 AM
The HIN ends with 0. I was surfing through the way back machine and the 2000 had this tower while the 2001 had the better looking two piece (ND?) tower.

wheelerd
11-22-2013, 12:58 AM
Just wanted to confirm that your boat is actually a 2000.:)
You've got the factory OEM tower then.

VTJC
11-26-2013, 12:40 PM
Congregates on getting an excellent boat! Very versatile hull and layout.