PDA

View Full Version : 2007 X Star Restoration

kcslator
11-15-2013, 06:33 PM
I recently bought a 2007 X Star at auction for 5,000 which was in need of a lot of TLC. The boat currently does not run and needs all new vinyls. I am starting this thread so people can watch the progress or pitch ideas/things that they have done with their boats that would work on my boat. Below is a list of things that I am working/plan on doing to get it up and running. My biggest issue so far is that I am in Cuba, which makes getting some things a little harder. This is my first boat so please share.

Hull:
small gouge, plan on gel coating myself
paint is faded and chalky, have a PC Buffer (any recommendations on compound)?

Cabin:
Everything is in really good shape in the cabin minus the vinyl, I plan on getting the entire boat upholstered once it is running. (recommendations on material to use or where to order materials from)?

Engine:
It has the Indmar 5.7 MCX in it, the mechanic who used to work on it said it would burn 2 qts of oil after 3-4 hrs of use. The mechanic who is working on it now thinks that is was a bad seal somewhere so had me order a gasket kit for it. I order a complete rebuild kit and it will be installed on Mon/Tue. (anyone heard of similar issue of burning oil)?

Can someone with this engine take some detailed photos for reference?

Trailer:
The trailer also needs a lot of work but I plan on fixing it once I get the boat in the water and can get to it. I see powder coat in its future.

parts ordered:
bow/cockpit cover
bimini top
engine rebuild kit
fulton f2 winch
oil filter
belts
impeller

I sure that I have missed some things but I will be posting pics as I work on each project.

Ironhorse
11-15-2013, 07:00 PM
Good luck with the project. At $5K you cant go wrong!

scott023
11-15-2013, 07:09 PM
Yep, can't go wrong at that price. What color are you planning to re gel it in? Are you sticking with original color vinyl, or are you going to spice it up some?

jgraham37128
11-15-2013, 07:25 PM
Post more pics....

MattsCraft
11-15-2013, 07:34 PM
Wow - was it a salt water boat, looks like a SS trailer?

If so, I personally would not want to deal with all the rusted connections and electronics.:(

bsettle1
11-15-2013, 07:43 PM
You would pay more for a 07 Rinker - great buy

Bouyhead
11-15-2013, 07:47 PM
Post more pics....

What he said^^^^^ The more pics, the more input you'll get. Does the motor have a closed cooling system?

03x30
11-15-2013, 07:55 PM
I'd buy that all day long at 2x the money.

Couple of points ..

1- Cuba .. definitely a saltwater boat. Is it a saltwater series? I'm guessing its rusted out and is going to need a new motor. $2700 + labor (or there abouts).
2 - the trailer looks ok, its galvanized (not SS) and I wouldn't do anything to it.
3 - Just priced all new skins for a Malibu and it was $2k. So $4k for an upholstery shop or just find skins and DIY. I would stick to white/grey/charcoal on the colors. Don't try to incorporate that blue. Keep it neutral but complimentary inside.

All depends on what you want to do. In the states, I would buy it, fix it, flip it. You don't exactly have a huge resale market (guessing).

Just a dirty penny .. keep rubbing! It will all be worth it in the end.

Tristarboarder
11-16-2013, 12:26 AM
His boat info on the signature says it's a SS X2, so he should be fine as far as that goes, and that includes closed cooling.....Sweet find for sure!

Burbon66
11-16-2013, 07:36 AM
Is the problem with the interior sun damage? Looks bad considering it's an 07. It must of lived most of its life uncovered. Maybe try to go for a UV stabilised vinyl if you are planning to keep it.

scott023
11-16-2013, 11:01 AM
There were pics of this boat on here previously, but I can't find them now. The other thread had a lot more pics.

kcslator
11-16-2013, 01:42 PM
I'd buy that all day long at 2x the money.

Couple of points ..

1- Cuba .. definitely a saltwater boat. Is it a saltwater series? I'm guessing its rusted out and is going to need a new motor. $2700 + labor (or there abouts).
2 - the trailer looks ok, its galvanized (not SS) and I wouldn't do anything to it.
3 - Just priced all new skins for a Malibu and it was $2k. So $4k for an upholstery shop or just find skins and DIY. I would stick to white/grey/charcoal on the colors. Don't try to incorporate that blue. Keep it neutral but complimentary inside.

All depends on what you want to do. In the states, I would buy it, fix it, flip it. You don't exactly have a huge resale market (guessing).

Just a dirty penny .. keep rubbing! It will all be worth it in the end.

1. It is a SS, and the motor looks to be in great shape. It was previously bored .030 and showed no wear on the pistons or valve walls. The good news is it will be coming back to the states with me in a year when I pull new orders

2. See trailer pics for condition, I will have to do some work to prevent further rust.

3. I was thinking the same for the skins, I am leaning toward all white/grey. but if I get the boat re-geled I may go black with blue accents.

Is the problem with the interior sun damage? Looks bad considering it's an 07. It must of lived most of its life uncovered. Maybe try to go for a UV stabilized vinyl if you are planning to keep it.

The interior is sun damaged and dried out and cracked, after I get new vinyls it will definitely be covered.

In the new pics I have taken the rub rails of for buffing and I have prepped the gel coat repair spot once I get my kit in.

The platform is going to need sanding a sealing as well. Thanks for all of the replies so far, Team Talk is awesome!

kcslator
11-17-2013, 01:42 PM
http://s306.photobucket.com/user/socooky/slideshow/

Finally! Bandwidth in Cuba stinks!

mikeg205
11-17-2013, 02:05 PM
nice project - gel damage minor compared to many I have seen... nice find..

snork
11-17-2013, 03:03 PM
I couldn't stop smiling if I got an 07 XStar for 4k with only the interior to replace :)

Jager
12-09-2013, 08:00 PM
If you need a stock Bimini hit me up... I installed a Z5 and have the stock one sitting around..

kcslator
12-11-2013, 12:07 PM
If you need a stock Bimini hit me up... I installed a Z5 and have the stock one sitting around..

Thanks for the offer, but I already purchesed one from another member on here.

kcslator
12-11-2013, 12:19 PM
So my mechanic is making progress and says he is going to put the motor in next week, and as long as no issues come up I should be on the water this month. Can someone with an Indmar 5.7MCX take pics of thier engine compartment to help with getting everything where it goes?

I finally got a key for the boat as well and was able to test all of the electronics. The ballast, bilge, lights all work, but I could not get the radio to come on. Any idaes of what the issue might be? All of the connections look good and I checked the fuse.

Also got my bimini in and my bow and cockpit cover.

Progress down here is slow but I will post pics once I make some "real" progress.

wakesk8er2
12-13-2013, 01:52 PM
I've got to say I'm pretty jealous of you. Congratulations on what sounds like a screaming deal. You will always have equity in this boat and I doubt many can say that. Looking forward to seeing the boat totally refreshed.

Voodoo
12-13-2013, 07:47 PM
Good luck, Godless Commie.

kcslator
12-14-2013, 01:02 PM

Voodoo, For the record, I am in the Navy and stationed on Guantanamo Bay. I am originally from NW Georgia! I am guessing you already know that by looking at you avatar though.

Voodoo
12-14-2013, 02:14 PM
Oh crap. Open mouth, insert foot...

Good luck, Proud American!

robo22
01-14-2014, 02:14 PM
AS far as vinyls go, i have a 2005 xstar that i am currently in the process of getting the vinyls done. i am going direct through mastercraft. i am going to use the skins and foam kit from a 2011. Its the same material they are putting in the 2014's. Only thing that will be different is the drivers seat everything else will fit the boat. Seeing that they didnt change for ten years

Aric'sX15
01-14-2014, 02:22 PM
Hahahaha im not sure how I missed voodoos comment, but that was hilarious.

scott023
01-14-2014, 02:57 PM
Hahahaha im not sure how I missed voodoos comment, but that was hilarious.

I missed it too. Had a good laugh. 8p

mikeg205
01-14-2014, 03:02 PM

Dang Voodooo - now that you outed him...well you know... nice knowin' ya ;) - tell your widow I'll buy your bit since you won't be needing it ;) - JK -

thatsmrmastercraft
01-14-2014, 03:15 PM
http://s306.photobucket.com/user/socooky/slideshow/

Finally! Bandwidth in Cuba stinks!

Voodoo, For the record, I am in the Navy and stationed on Guantanamo Bay. I am originally from NW Georgia! I am guessing you already know that by looking at you avatar though.

:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

That was so funny it was worth 4!

drschemel
01-14-2014, 04:05 PM
I want to hear about it when he drives that thing back from Cuba to Florida!

soacj
01-14-2014, 04:08 PM

Well owned, well owned:toast:

willyt
01-14-2014, 06:19 PM

...? Obama's not on this forum....

thatsmrmastercraft
01-14-2014, 06:47 PM
Well owned, well owned:toast:

Indeed!http://thedieselgarage.com/forums/images/smilies/salute.gif

Aric'sX15
01-14-2014, 07:58 PM
...? Obama's not on this forum....

Youre right, hes on this one.

http://priuschat.com/forum/

badboys3
12-18-2014, 10:59 AM
How much are they charging you if you don't mind me asking- we have an 05' mastercraft and need new skins and are willing to install ourselves as well.

Wakerider16
12-18-2014, 11:09 AM
Holy thread revival...