PDA

View Full Version : GREAT hydrofoil edit.

Big Jay D
11-15-2013, 02:43 AM
It's getting cold outside and we all want to be on the water. Hope this helps.
http://vimeo.com/79400294#at=0

TayMC197
11-15-2013, 01:43 PM
It's getting cold outside and we all want to be on the water. Hope this helps.
http://vimeo.com/79400294#at=0

At 3:48, who is the older man with the DarkSide Sticker on his from foil?

Great Video, makes me wish my boat wasn't put up.

Big Jay D
11-15-2013, 10:50 PM
At 3:48, who is the older man with the DarkSide Sticker on his from foil?

Great Video, makes me wish my boat wasn't put up.

Vern
Jake Bradley's father.

Ryan
11-15-2013, 11:23 PM
Wow! I'm so motivated to buy a foil... and terrified all at the same time.
I've had some painful face-plants wakeboarding, adding a 20' fall into that is a little intimidating.

Holy crap - I think that means I'm getting old.

craig3972
11-16-2013, 12:01 AM
How dangerous is foiling? more than wakeboarding? what are the most common mistakes to look out for when learning to avoid injury?

Impressive video - I cant believe all those good foilers so close to me and I have never seen them in person!

Skyskiguy
11-16-2013, 01:05 AM
How dangerous is foiling? more than wakeboarding? what are the most common mistakes to look out for when learning to avoid injury?

Impressive video - I cant believe all those good foilers so close to me and I have never seen them in person!

Catching an edge or tip on a wakeboard hurts way worse than crashing on a foil. Hook yourself up with a local foiler who knows what they are doing for some good instruction when learning - you'll save your self a ton of time and avoid the school of hard knocks..

TayMC197
11-16-2013, 12:20 PM

Landing on your side hurts the most in my opinion. Almost instantly Knocks the air out of you. Landing in head and stuff isn't near as bad as it looks. It's just expensive. I do suggest a thicker vest and helmets for tricks..

mzimme
11-16-2013, 12:37 PM
I need one of those. Is it summer yet?

SkiDog
11-16-2013, 02:38 PM
Can wakeboarders get that kinda air? just asking!:D:D:D

craig3972
11-16-2013, 08:51 PM
I gotta make a real effort next season to do this...I am going to be 48 next year and wakeboarding is getting hard on the body, one of these days that raley is going to bite me! Anybody got a used foil for sale?

tex
11-17-2013, 09:26 PM
I gotta make a real effort next season to do this...I am going to be 48 next year and wakeboarding is getting hard on the body, one of these days that raley is going to bite me! Anybody got a used foil for sale?

I have an original Air Chair...

cal69
11-18-2013, 11:35 AM
My buddies and I found a cheap used original air chair mid-summer ($200 in excellent shape). I can't recall ever laughing so hard as we watched each other figure out how to master that thing. After 2-3 sets, we all figured out how to ride it without looking like we were on a mechanical bull.
If you are not getting air, the crashes are minor. You are only going 15-20 tops and are way less painful then a wakeboard edge plant or coming out the front of a ski.
Once you learn balance on it, you could ride for hours. Low effort. Jumps are tougher, require a bit more speed, and crashes hurt a little more.
I regret not finding a used foil years ago when I was younger. Usually, it is not a cheap toy to pick up. We just got lucky on craigslist & figured we could resell for more if we didn't like it. No way we are letting it go now!

Skyskiguy
11-18-2013, 11:42 AM
My buddies and I found a cheap used original air chair mid-summer ($200 in excellent shape). I can't recall ever laughing so hard as we watched each other figure out how to master that thing. After 2-3 sets, we all figured out how to ride it without looking like we were on a mechanical bull.
If you are not getting air, the crashes are minor. You are only going 15-20 tops and are way less painful then a wakeboard edge plant or coming out the front of a ski.
Once you learn balance on it, you could ride for hours. Low effort. Jumps are tougher, require a bit more speed, and crashes hurt a little more.
I regret not finding a used foil years ago when I was younger. Usually, it is not a cheap toy to pick up. We just got lucky on craigslist & figured we could resell for more if we didn't like it. No way we are letting it go now!

Welcome to the addiction!

craig3972
11-18-2013, 11:59 AM
what is the worst injury you have seen a foiler get? What is the most common one?

We rented one about 15yrs ago when they first came out and had the same kinda day as you guys, laughing so hard our stomaches hurt, but we returned it and that was the end of it.

CC2MC
11-18-2013, 12:13 PM
One of the guys that I have ridden with has broken some ribs and hurt his shoulder as well. He now wears a carbon fiber rib cage protector, which I never really understood until I bumped the speed up from about 18mph to about 21-22 mph. All it took was one time of me falling on my side and my arm digging into my ribs. I thought, maybe I should get one of those rib protectors. Thankfully, I was not really hurt but it did knock the breath out of me.

I think that people that have not seen a hydrofoil in person before tend to get a little intimidated by the way it looks. It really does look like it can hurt you, and it can, but it is not as bad as most people think. Once you start doing the inverts and getting around the mid 20s in speed, then the crashes really start to hurt more. I just got one this past summer and I have had a blast with it and watching friends try it out. My neighbor, who is a pretty good slalomer, trick skier and barefooter said that the foil was the hardest thing he has done on the water, hands down. I got a few pretty good videos of friends "riding the bull". I have a shim under my rear wing now and when I am teaching a noob, I will just turn the shim around so the foil is actually forced down and it is more difficult to fly. It really helps to gain control much faster that way. Once you start flying though, it is a little different sensation than staying down low to the water and it takes some getting used to.

Jerseydave
11-18-2013, 01:24 PM
Cinch foot stays and a good Cinch belt are necessary so you don't "come out" of the foil. Wear a good padded vest (not a comp vest) and a helmet. I started real slow (15-16 mph) so falls are easy. I only foil at 20 mph now, but I've seen a VERY experienced foiler ride at 29mph! The height he can get is incredible!

I'm going to focus more on foiling next year......wakeboarding is doing a number on my knees at 51!

Big Jay D
11-18-2013, 02:27 PM
Like any sport there is the potential of injury. Pushing your comfort zone is a good way to risk it. The links below show some brutal crashes. When you start going big and adding spins the carnage can get worse and like wakeboarding shoulders get blown out, ribs break, ear drums break, and there is alway the chance of putting your arm through the handle. What you don't get are blown out knees, ankles, or hips. I have a sore shoulder and an angry elbow now. I have had sore ribs, big bruises, a broken ear drum and sore muscles. I have never had an injury from the hydrofoil itself. It's nearly impossible to get hurt by it because you are strapped in. Sure I have banged my toes with the handle and stubbed a finger on the seat but nothing bad.

The crashes below are advanced/pro riders pushing the limit to learn new tricks and go big.

This one knocked the wind out of me. Took a couple minutes to catch my breath then rode on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkjZm2-h_DE

This one was enough to cough up some blood. Biggest crash ever recorded. Rode on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J-x31IDzhc

This one ended this riders day. Coughing up blood.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVdSgP3Qdz4

Wrapped mobe to splat. Rode on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzKcRIEoqZE&feature=em-upload_owner

Wrapped Mobe to face. Rode on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_927WlROqI

Bell ringer. Rode on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjVUEBc15Mc

No rider injured.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJc_l3ekD8s

craig3972
11-18-2013, 06:59 PM
just watched all those vids - awesome stuff! gotta get one.
What is the first invert most people try?

uplander
11-18-2013, 08:46 PM
not easy to learn, I tried several times this summer. Learning to surf was much easier

c_craig
11-18-2013, 09:23 PM
x2 on the Cinch bindings. I'm not doing anything crazy, and I have come completely out of the factory bindings. Not a good idea with an axe strapped to your arse.

Also have the belt and trick release, which works. Have bruised ribs before, but other than that have had many, fairly painless, wrecks. It must just look bad to watch. Nothing like wakeboard wrecks.

Super fun, even if you don't jump, to just learn to ride and carve turns. Hoping to upgrade my foil soon.

Big Jay D
11-19-2013, 01:00 AM
just watched all those vids - awesome stuff! gotta get one.
What is the first invert most people try?

Gainer. I landed one with in 3 months. I started riding on Easter 2007. I landed my first invert a couple weeks after the Forth of July.

It all depends how aggressive of a person you are. I like the rush and the thrill of accomplishment.

TayMC197
11-19-2013, 01:34 PM
Gainer was the first I landed or even attempted. I say it took about 3 months as well. I had riden one previously but maybe a handful of times. Bought SkiDog's ski last summer but didn't get much time on it till this year. Didn't get much time on it this year either. Next year will be good, since I only live 2 miles from the boat ramp now.

Cinch bindings and belt are a major must IMHO. Helmet is need if you invert, and I suggest thick vest as well. Was talking to Kyle last week about getting the full faced helmet and wearing my barefoot suit. Landing on your side hurts, I hate getting the wind knocked out of me.

I've had a blast with mine though, well worth it. Just lots of upkeep.. Lots of stuff to learn from how to maintain the ski, set it up, store it, etc.