PDA

View Full Version : help almost 2 volt drop from dash back to coil

pbgbottle
11-13-2013, 11:21 AM
hey guys looking for some info i have found an almost 2 volt drop from the wire coming from the dash back to my coil. i have checked all the connections i can see and they all look good tight and clean , just wondering what is behind the dash i should check .grounds, switches,etc, this is on a 1988 tristar also checking voltage before the resitor block thingy (ballast resistor ). what should i be looking at , grounds or the ignition switch ,or something else ,just looking for some ideas or suggestions before i pull out my dash .

also after i pull the steering wheel will the dash sort of just unbolt and pull out .

cheers thanks for all feedback

pbgbottle
11-13-2013, 04:26 PM
now i've done it . crap pulled the dash wires fell off everywhere 2 black ones cut .and i think one to my buzzer if that is what it is is missing also , i tested the voltage through the swithc on all acc,st,ing, and no voltage drop through the switch .now to grounds i guess

the wires that fell off where to my gauges on the right of pic .and is that circuit board looking thing my buzzer or alarm ??.

what is the basisc of this design is everythnig just daisy chained sharing one power wire ,and one ground wire , to many colors and my kill switch was jumped ,so i may aswell remove it also

..is there a reference guide or a diagram schematic or anything around ?

..cheers

mikeg205
11-13-2013, 04:31 PM
you have the MCOCD bad - pulling the dash in 5 hours.. ;) - that dash - I think there was a diagram here - I think James McCreight has one.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
11-13-2013, 07:09 PM
When I was chasing a low voltage issue, the circuit board was causing about a 1.5v drop, also discovered that my ei was pulling about 1v on its own with key on engine off, I disconnected it and had true batt volt. You do not need the circuit board, I removed mine.

Table Rocker
11-13-2013, 07:22 PM
Also make sure you are testing your "coil voltage" before the ballast resistor. It's the job of the ballast resistor to drop the voltage.

pbgbottle
11-13-2013, 10:19 PM
cool thanks good to know i will pull the board also . cheers
what is the circuit board , the buzzer alarm ?

When I was chasing a low voltage issue, the circuit board was causing about a 1.5v drop, also discovered that my ei was pulling about 1v on its own with key on engine off, I disconnected it and had true batt volt. You do not need the circuit board, I removed mine.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
11-13-2013, 10:28 PM
cool thanks good to know i will pull the board also . cheers
what is the circuit board , the buzzer alarm ?

yes an audible warning for oil, volt, water temp.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
11-13-2013, 10:33 PM
Here are the diagrams that I have, some are PCM but are very similar and the wiring color codes

pbgbottle
11-14-2013, 12:34 AM
thank you sure this will help a bunch

thatsmrmastercraft
11-14-2013, 12:38 AM
Here are the diagrams that I have, some are PCM but are very similar and the wiring color codes

James to the rescue again. :toast:

pbgbottle
11-14-2013, 01:10 AM
just found this one from iboats

pbgbottle
11-14-2013, 08:28 PM
i think i got it all cleaned up ,here is a pic of dash lit up on my kitchen table ,the wife wasn't happy about me using the kitchen table as a work bench ,
one question about the rocker switches ,one of mine seems like the light is burned out . it worked before i pulled the dash ,am i missing something ? or is it burn't out ,
the switch is working it turns the dash lights on .

hey , i just put a few mins or so on my hour meter and the engine wasn't even running
and i was sitting at the kitchen table :eek3: :D
i never noticed it before but my hour meter actually ticks like a clock .:D

cheers

is my switch light burnt out ??

Table Rocker
11-14-2013, 09:01 PM
Check the ground wire on the switch that isn't lighting up.

pbgbottle
11-17-2013, 09:05 PM
ground is good .maybe it is burnt out ? how does the light work in these switches
when lights on switch off the color is yellowish and when switches are rocked the light turns red .
this switch works just no light of any kind

cheers

pbgbottle
04-15-2014, 06:42 PM
quick update redid my wiring or just cleaned it up removing the buzzer stuff and misc. loose grounds , i took it out to the lake and fired her up dash gauge when running shows 13.5 volt instead of 10V and my blower spins nice and fast now ,also sub and amp doesn't make the voltage drop either . all seems better than ever . I'm very happy , forgot to test the voltage back at dizzy ,the low voltage at the dizzy was the reason for this project , there was quite a few mods done to the wiring by the PO ,only bad thing was i had to bypass the kill switch , mine was junk

thanks James for your help , getting rid of the buzzer stuff really cleaned up the mess i had .

cheers

pbgbottle
04-15-2014, 06:45 PM
ps

i also added the second speedo and moved my tach to the center hole ,
the dash looks a lot better now

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
04-15-2014, 08:42 PM
ps

i also added the second speedo and moved my tach to the center hole ,
the dash looks a lot better now

Nice job, if I'd known you needed a speedometer head I could have sent you one.

pbgbottle
04-15-2014, 09:18 PM
haha
i posted a wanted ad
i got a great one almost mint for $60 bucks

Nice job, if I'd known you needed a speedometer head I could have sent you one.

pbgbottle
05-06-2014, 12:13 PM
bump still low voltage at the coil . any ideas,? i may have to pull dash again and run a new wire straight from switch to coil instead of it running through the dash gauges first ,

thatsmrmastercraft
05-06-2014, 12:18 PM
Do you have the ballast resistor in place and measuring the resistance through it as well?

pbgbottle
05-06-2014, 02:20 PM
nope before resistor i think i have it fixed . tiny amount of corrosion I'm assuming . i was messing around the rear of the engine testing everything and while back there i pulled apart the big black plug on the harness near the tranny to test voltage and such back there, plugged it back together and now i have 12 volts at the coil ,yippee

battery testing 12.96v
wire at coil -choke 12.79v

i hope it is fixed ...:D