PDA

View Full Version : Swim Platform Material?

DHPRO
11-11-2013, 09:20 AM
Trying to decide which is best for durability and especially salt water use? I worry that the mat on the fiberglass one will lift, and the gel coat will get all scratched up. The teak can be sanded and oiled to look new every season. Strange to that the teak is standard while the fiberglass is an extra option? Teak is way more expensive and I wonder if they' ll reverse this shortly?
Either way appreciate you experience and input...final changes deadline is close!

lashburn1
11-11-2013, 10:08 AM
I just used my last boat in salt and fresh...
We had SeaDek brand rubber decking ( same basic stuff MC uses) on our Swim Platform.
We later replaced all of our cockpit carpets with the same material .

I will not lift up or come loose. Get the platform you prefer, but rubber ones require no maintenance.

scott023
11-11-2013, 10:41 AM
The fiberglass may not require maintenance, but it has the potential to look really banged up from getting hit with wakeboards. You can clean up those dings on teak.

H2ORidr
11-11-2013, 11:53 AM
The price of teak has been coming down. My local supplier has the good stuff and it used to be ~$45 per board foot (12" by 12" by 1" thick, :eek:). Last Monday when I was at the supplier I asked about the current price and they said ~$23/bd ft. My spit ball estimate would say that a 2' by 8' wide platform would take about 18-20 bd ft to make (figuring scrap and the design). At $45 that works out to about $800-900 just in materials.

It sure does make me glad I used to buy a board or two when I went to my supplier for other stuff. Back then I paid under $15/bd ft and now I am sitting on about a thousand board ft. I've got boards so big and clear I could make a platform out of one single board and the color match would be dead on perfect. :D

CC2MC
11-11-2013, 12:24 PM
I think it is merely a preference thing. As mentioned, the glass ones can get dinged up. Depending on how bad, they can be fixed with minimal effort too but still not as easily as a teak platform. I would not think that either is a deal breaker though. I prefer the teak personally, but that is just me.

FourFourty
11-11-2013, 12:44 PM
I always had teak in the past, and I preferred it..... However, MC won't put a teak platform on an XStar for some reason. My FG platform didn't get dinged too bad, with this new design. However, the pad is peeling up in several areas, after just one season of use. Not a real big deal, as it will be replaced under warranty.

That being said, I miss my teak platform.

neil.anderson63
11-11-2013, 02:39 PM
One TT'r had their fiberglass deck sprayed with Rhino Lining then installed a Seadek pad on it. ??

ol1970
11-11-2013, 03:25 PM
I love the look of the teak on a platform...I would simply power wash it a couple times a year and throw some oil on it and presto it would look brand new (for a few weeks). New boat will be fiberglass, not sure if I'll miss Teak or not. Since Teak is no up-charge, I'd go for that vs. the extra $ for fiberglass. My $0.02

DHPRO
11-12-2013, 09:12 AM
thanks guys...I've ordered fiberglass (wife likes the color match!), but might just go teak...I think it really does come down to preference, and still on the fence.

KahunaCraft
11-12-2013, 09:25 AM
I think the FG platform has been adjusted a little in 2014 to improve surfing... Not sure the same can be said for the teak one.

They do get banged up, but can be taken off and fixed up easily by a gel guy.... So maintenance is a bit of a wash, only that teak could be 'self' repaired faster if you know what you're doing.

5 year warranty on the peeling item.... I wouldn't worry too much.

scott023
11-12-2013, 10:43 AM
I think the FG platform has been adjusted a little in 2014 to improve surfing... Not sure the same can be said for the teak one.

They do get banged up, but can be taken off and fixed up easily by a gel guy.... So maintenance is a bit of a wash, only that teak could be 'self' repaired faster if you know what you're doing.

5 year warranty on the peeling item.... I wouldn't worry too much.

The cost difference between repairing teak and fibreglass is not a wash though. The bangs on the fg can be easily fixed, but they're not cheap fixes.

FourFourty
11-12-2013, 10:48 AM
The cost difference between repairing teak and fibreglass is not a wash though. The bangs on the fg can be easily fixed, but they're not cheap fixes.

And my platform is flake...... Not exactly fixable. You will always see the repair. I have already accepted the fact, that if it gets all dinged up, I will probably need to buy a new one.

That being said, I already priced a teak platform (MC gives the dimensions to the vendor). I may take the FG off, and save it for the next owner.

DHPRO
11-12-2013, 12:32 PM
Economics are intersting ; Teak is standard, Fb is upcharge (cant remmber exact $ but $700 rings a bell?)...if you decide you want the teak afterwards its ~$900, while the FB is about the same. i cloudy on exact $' s but the point is, if you're trying to save cash, the teak is the better option, and easier on the hassle meter.

KahunaCraft
11-13-2013, 12:58 AM
Ah, I missed the flake ones, I've never seen one... Nice touch and you make a good point, they'd be more pricey to repair ... Speaking of a flake platform, I think it would look better than what I have...

Stefan
11-13-2013, 01:54 AM
My next candidate already has a flake platform, no idea yet how I'll make a surf platform out of it, yet, but I guess we'll see... that's way easier with a teak platform

wallnut21
11-13-2013, 09:46 AM
Has anyone used 3M Protective film on their fiberglass platform/transom? I'm thinking it might help resist dings/nicks in the fiberglass.

KahunaCraft
11-13-2013, 10:18 AM
Has anyone used 3M Protective film on their fiberglass platform/transom? I'm thinking it might help resist dings/nicks in the fiberglass.

That might work, but might peel as it's underwater and the seams would be subject to hydraulic pressure the majority of time...

BrooksfamX2
11-13-2013, 10:42 AM

My BIL had it on his X45. It helped a bit, but kept peeling up at the seams....

scott023
11-13-2013, 10:58 AM
I really find it hard to believe that the 3M would do much over an extended period of time. The knocks we get on the transom saver would not be stopped by any 3M product that I know of. I think it would be worth a try though.

H2ORidr
11-13-2013, 12:44 PM

Are you talking about the peel and stick stuff or the spray-on? The spray-on should be better, but the engineer I talked to said they have never tested it in water submersed conditions (it is now on the agenda, :D). I am personally going to be putting it on my transom next spring above the swim platform in hopes that it will take the abuse from boards and feet that it is current getting. For me it is cheap to get, ie free. 8p

http://3mauto.com/products/paint-defender?utm_medium=cpc&WT.term=3m+paint+defender&utm_campaign=Paint+Defender&utm_source=google&WT.medium=cpc&WT.campaign=Paint+Defender&WT.srch=1&WT.content=text&WT.source=google&WT.mc_id=Paint_Defender&utm_term=3m+paint+defender&cshift_ck=16e8b025-e407-48e6-b8e9-1610bbb7a3f7cs9yezvRrY

scott023
11-13-2013, 12:53 PM
Are you talking about the peel and stick stuff or the spray-on? The spray-on should be better, but the engineer I talked to said they have never tested it in water submersed conditions (it is now on the agenda, :D). I am personally going to be putting it on my transom next spring above the swim platform in hopes that it will take the abuse from boards and feet that it is current getting. For me it is cheap to get, ie free. 8p

http://3mauto.com/products/paint-defender?utm_medium=cpc&WT.term=3m+paint+defender&utm_campaign=Paint+Defender&utm_source=google&WT.medium=cpc&WT.campaign=Paint+Defender&WT.srch=1&WT.content=text&WT.source=google&WT.mc_id=Paint_Defender&utm_term=3m+paint+defender&cshift_ck=16e8b025-e407-48e6-b8e9-1610bbb7a3f7cs9yezvRrY

There's no better price than that.

H2ORidr
11-13-2013, 01:41 PM
There's no better price than that.

Well, there is free with no strings attached. To get some free goodies I have to be nice to my coworkers. :rolleyes:

scott023
11-13-2013, 02:18 PM
Well, there is free with no strings attached. To get some free goodies I have to be nice to my coworkers. :rolleyes:

That seems reasonable. 8p

H2ORidr
11-13-2013, 02:22 PM
That seems reasonable. 8p

You don't know the kinds of people I work with. :rolleyes:

DHPRO
11-13-2013, 05:04 PM
Well...I went with Gun Metal Flake FB...I guess I better work on my gel coat/metal flake skills.

scott023
11-13-2013, 06:06 PM
You don't know the kinds of people I work with. :rolleyes:

I imagine l have done of those too. :rolleyes: