PDA

View Full Version : Winterization, LT1. Engine drain

bigdog
11-10-2013, 09:59 PM
I am having a difficult time finding the 2 drain locations on my engine (1996 prostar 190, LT1). I have drained all water out of the exhaust manifolds. Drained all I could out of the impeller housing. Please help, starting to get real cold here in the next few days and need to get my boat winterized. thanks.

bigdog
11-10-2013, 10:01 PM
Pictures would be very helpful. Also I am not planning on putting antifreeze in because of the aluminum heads. thanks.

Andyg
11-10-2013, 10:44 PM
There are two drain plugs on the block. The one on the port side should be a brass petcock type drain on the underside of the block. The drain on the starboard side has the knock sensor screwed into it. You need to disconnect the knock sensor wires then you can unscrew the knock sensor.

Check this thread out. It shows a pic of the knock sensor. The pic with the blue wire.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=27558

Andyg

bigdog
11-11-2013, 08:33 AM
Thanks Andyg. That is very helpful. I can finish winterizing now before it gets into the teens here tomorrow.

Jerseydave
11-11-2013, 09:00 AM
I drain mine, then fill with West Marine -60 purple anti-freeze. It says "safe for aluminum engines"

The tilted engine angle scares me that some water might be still in the rear section of the coolant passages. I recall reading on here that the freeze plug behind the starter could pop out.

Yellow X9
11-11-2013, 09:28 AM
I drain mine, then fill with West Marine -60 purple anti-freeze. It says "safe for aluminum engines"

The tilted engine angle scares me that some water might be still in the rear section of the coolant passages. I recall reading on here that the freeze plug behind the starter could pop out.

Set up a fake a lake and Winterize that way, this ensures Anti Freeze goes all the way thru the Motor- takes 10 mins to do, we did 3 boats Sunday in 30 Mins- had them lined up side X Side- Side note, be sure to warm up the motor so the Thermostat is open

Ski-me
11-11-2013, 11:04 AM
I also did a write-up on the LT1 winterization.....

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=51183&page=7