PDA

View Full Version : Axle U-bolt torque

DLewis
10-26-2005, 03:02 PM
Anyone know what the torque setting for the u-bolts (axle to leaf spring) for a tandem trailer.

(Factory trailer for a 95 Maristar 225VRS)

Thanks

Workin' 4 Toys
10-26-2005, 03:23 PM
I would suggest you ask the seller of the springs or bolts. Because even if you followed the trailer manufacturers specs, they would not match the parts you replaced.

jimmer2880
10-26-2005, 07:50 PM
The u-bolts on the leaf springs on my truck/burban & Jeep I believe was 190 ft/lbs

DLewis
10-26-2005, 09:08 PM
I actually bought them from my local MC Dealer. I wanted to see what the real world experinece is/was. I will call them and see what they say.

Thanks.

Workin' 4 Toys
10-26-2005, 11:49 PM
I actually bought them from my local MC Dealer. I wanted to see what the real world experinece is/was. I will call them and see what they say.

Thanks.
Sorry to say, but I wouldn't think they would know. A trailer repair shop or spring shop would be a better place, I would think.
I make sure I use a criss cross pattern when tighting in order to keep them equal length at all 4 points. If they do not give you a good answer, Ill check with the guys at the shop and ask them what they suggest.
Do you know the diameter of the bolt?
If they are too tight, you could break off the bolt, or crush the tube. Damages would depend on the quality of the bolt.

DLewis
10-27-2005, 08:16 PM
Hey Workin ~

The U-bolt are 1/2" in diameter. The nut measures 3/4" outside diameter.