PDA

View Full Version : Wakeboarding Vacation

bssteven
11-10-2013, 11:56 AM
I'm looking for a good place to take a wakeboarding vacation. We live in north Florida so anywhere here we could take our own boat. I was thinking it might be fun to go up north or out west where we could rent a boat or ride with an instructor. Does anyone know a good resort or something where we could go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

mcLove
11-10-2013, 03:32 PM
Lake Talquin, could even rent a house with a dock on it if you wanted

ol1970
11-11-2013, 08:57 AM
I don't think you can rent a nice MC there, but until you've been on Torch Lake in northern Michigan in the summer time you really have not lived. Actually 90% of the lakes up there are beyond amazing...problem is the "useable" season is Mid-June through mid-September. I'm not from Michigan, and I've been on lakes all over the US...there are spots where if you were brought there blind folded and then they took it off and in 5 seconds you had to guess where you were...you would say the Caribbean, or on the Monterrey Peninsula, it is honestly that nice.

As far as wake board vacation spots down south, let me know what you come up with as I'd be interested in those as well!

Jerseydave
11-11-2013, 10:09 AM
Not sure how far you want to tow, but Smith Mountain Lake VA is a great place to rent a house and take your boat (summer of course) You could also rent a houseboat there.

I would imagine there are closer lakes to you though that are real nice, maybe in GA? Lanier?

gsxrjtt
11-11-2013, 10:32 AM
Im with bssteven... Looking for a place to do a week or so trip to tow my boat next year. Either find a house on the lake, I really dont mind camping, or house boat would be pretty cool.. Looking for large body of water, marina with food beer gas etc and place where people hang out to socialize... but good for even a 93 190 IF she is running lol.

bssteven
11-12-2013, 11:23 AM
Started researching Lanier and Kentucky lake this past weekend. Both of them look promising for taking my own boat. I would like to find a place where others like to go wakeboarding and socializing.

cbryan70
11-12-2013, 12:03 PM
lake hartwell is really nice. there are a few sand bars. Lake is huge, few restraunts on the water and marinas. You can rent a house or houseboat there. there is always great water somewhere on that lake. hartwell would be closer to you than lanier and kentucky lake as well.

Sodar
11-12-2013, 12:27 PM
On my bucket list is to load up the boat and motorhome and head out to explore some different lakes around the country. Out far west, the lakes/rivers are warm and clear, but the desert landscape is all the same. A lake with some trees would be a real change of pace.

76S&S
11-12-2013, 12:47 PM
Lake Martin in central AL is beautiful and there are plenty of houses to rent on the water. It's a big lake but lots of fingers where you can find some good water. Also a few restaurants are on the water.

bsloop
11-12-2013, 06:06 PM
Lake Martin is nice I hear. Alan Jackson likes it and there is a good party scene.

Lake Cumberland's Harmon Creek holds the record for longest party boat line. Their poker run the first week of Sept was quite an event but is now questionable with the high speed crash this year.

Head to Chicago the last weekend of July for their Scene Party in the Play Pen (bay between Chicago Pier and downtown). check out the videos on youtube.

Lake of the Ozarks. Any week is great boating with plenty of lake front options for lodging, eating and socializing.
Liquid Force has been hosting their BroStock event the past several years week of June 6,7. Stick around for offshore superboat races on Sunday.
Spend a day or two at Beaver Lake, AR. Amazingly quiet water, a complete opposite of LOTO.

Keep in mind, most any lake will offer great wakeboarding during the week when there is little boat traffic.
Check out VRBO.com for lodging options.
For other social boating ideas, you are better off waiting til the first of the year. Check where Liquid Force and Sea Ray AquaPalooza events are being held.
All of the above should have lesson options but being in Florida, you are already in the heart of wakeboard lessons.

CC2MC
11-12-2013, 08:32 PM
Lake Martin would be my choice. I have not been to Lanier, but I do know that there are many Atlanta transplants that come over to Martin bc it is getting so crowded at Lanier. Smith Lake is a little further than Martin, but also a very nice deep water lake. Martin is a good bit larger, but is a beautiful lake that has plenty to offer. I even know a guy that has a house you can rent. Shoot me a PM if that is something you would like to check into. I would also be glad to show you around should you choose to come up this way. I am also assuming that you are wanting to do this sometime next year when the water warms up. Martin lowers the water level in the winter about 10' and it will not be back up again until the end of march or April. There are a couple of guys that give wakeboard lessons up here but I have not taken any, but I probably should.

If you check into this guy, see what he would charge to do a camp, bc I may be interested if it is any less expensive. Also see how many it would take for him to do a camp.

http://lakemartinwakeboarding.com/

bssteven
11-13-2013, 09:19 PM
Lake Martin looks like a great option that is pretty close to us. It looks to be a pretty big lake so is there a particular area that is preferred? Also, looked up the lake Martin wakeboarding and it seems high compared to what I see around here. I've been taking lessons in Santa Rosa beach and in Tampa for less than $60 an hour using their boats. They are advertising 3x that on the site but I may call and get some info anyway.

jafo9
11-14-2013, 09:35 AM
i don't have any personal experience with martin or lanier. i've got family over by lanier and i've been told it gets pretty crowded. a couple of years ago they wanted to just drive over and have a picnic (they don't have a boat). they were turned away by DNR and told the lake was closed because it was full. martin seems to be a great place, i don't go to martin because my place is a bit farther north at smith lake.

bsloop
11-14-2013, 03:08 PM
I've been taking lessons in Santa Rosa beach and in Tampa for less than $60 an hour using their boats. They are advertising 3x that on the site but I may call and get some info anyway.

wow, $60 seems like a steal. Why bother to own a boat if you can ride plus get lessons at that rate.
A 20 min set is going to burn $20+ in fuel alone.

The above is exactly the reason I was saying, don't try to mix lessons and vacation in your case, if value is a priority.

uplander
11-14-2013, 05:39 PM
Table Rock would be nice and calm, you can rent houseboats also

76S&S
11-14-2013, 06:49 PM
If you go to Lake Martin and want to get some instruction time in, I know of two other options. There is one on Lay Lake, which isn't too far from Martin and another on Lake Tuscaloosa, but LT would be a bit of a drive.

bhanson
11-14-2013, 08:35 PM
You got me curious, have never really seen nice MC-class boats for rent, but a quick search brought me to www.fun2rent.com. Looks really promising !!! If you can load up the family and know there is a boat nearby, then my vote would be Austin (Lake Austin, Lake Travis, Lake LBJ). Also, Sacramento area has tons of water (the Delta, Lake Oroville, etc.)

bssteven
11-14-2013, 09:42 PM
No, I actually wrote that wrong it's around $60 a session. Which is about 30 min or 2 for $100. I was just in shock to see it for $150 with a 2 hour minimum. Who rides for 2 hours straight?? I would kill myself trying to get my $300 worth. Lol

bssteven
11-14-2013, 09:50 PM
That fun2rent.com is a really cool idea. Regular people just put their toys up for rent. This is something I would consider especially if we decided on a trip out west or up north north.
Not sure I could rent my baby out to a stranger like these guys are doing.