PDA

View Full Version : Wetsounds bluetooth adapter?

jafo9
11-09-2013, 01:57 PM
My current setup is the OEM XMD1 in my 02 X30. The HU runs to a WS-420 and then to the amps/speakers. I did the mod to the XMD1 to accept a headphone input through the CD changer controller port. My biggest problem seems to be the low voltage coming from the headphone output on my iPhone/iPod. This seems to severely restrict the output of my amps without turning the gain way up. I've also hooked the phone directly to the WS-420 with no change. I tried using a pillbox headphone amp inline with the headphone cable and it helped. The downside to this approach was the added complexity and the fact that the amp clearly wasn't designed for "outdoor" use and it died before the summer ended. So I've been looking at this

http://www.wetsounds.com/pages/products/WW-VC-BT.html

Does anyone know if the voltage output of this is as high as what i would get if I had a more modern radio that accepted the USB output from the iPhone? I'm not super against buying a more modern head unit, but i never use CDs or the radio.

Thanks.

MLA
11-09-2013, 03:29 PM
I dont think the WS BT is going to give you the line level increase you are looking for. Have you tried going from the bottom data port on the iphone to RCA? This typically offers a better signal then the headphone port. Another solution may be a line driver between the head-unit and EQ.

jafo9
11-10-2013, 07:29 AM
the XMD1 doesn't have the ability to accept an RCA input. i used a pill box amp for most of the summer as a line driver. it worked but it died before the end of the summer. i think the heat killed it.

MLA
11-10-2013, 08:59 AM
I did the mod to the XMD1 to accept a headphone input through the CD changer controller port

You've got this mod active, right? Then get a cable that takes the RCA to 3.5MM headphone

JRW160
11-12-2013, 01:11 PM
Wetsounds is supposed to have another bluetooth module coming out that will have a line driver built in.

I am using a line driver and a monoprice bluetooth unit in my boat. The line driver adds some noise that is noticeable at low volumes.

jafo9
11-13-2013, 09:19 AM
You've got this mod active, right? Then get a cable that takes the RCA to 3.5MM headphone

I had it set up first with the cd changer mod. The output was still low. I'm not sure if the mod compensates for the low headphone output. The best result was with the inline pill box headphone amp. It was complicated and the heat killed the amp.

The Wetsounds BT line driver sounds like the ticket. Any idea when it will be released. Thanks.

JRW160
11-13-2013, 03:04 PM
The Wetsounds BT line driver sounds like the ticket. Any idea when it will be released. Thanks.
I don't really know. They've been saying they were close on the BT with line driver and the wireless boat link for a while.

jafo9
11-14-2013, 08:46 AM
Thanks, i've got all winter to wait so no hurry. Hopefully they'll have one ready for us before spring. I just hate to spend all the money on a new head unit when all i need is a conduit for my mp3's.

JRW160
11-15-2013, 12:34 PM
The unpowered bluetooth unit from WS is $75, so I would guess the powered one will be at least $100. There are quite a few bluetooth head units you could pick up for less than that.

agarabaghi
11-15-2013, 02:24 PM
I install the JBL PRV170 (maybe pvr?) and its is pretty near. Has a built in amp, but i dont use it. Just hooked up an iphone charging cable so people can charge their phones and i sync with the bt. Output is def BT quality... bass is not as loud, but it is decent. Ill deal with the signal loss vs the wires. And if i want i can still hook up to my aux port.

jafo9
11-18-2013, 06:14 PM
The unpowered bluetooth unit from WS is $75, so I would guess the powered one will be at least $100. There are quite a few bluetooth head units you could pick up for less than that.

any particular unit you recommend? thanks.

MLA
11-19-2013, 08:23 AM
The Wet Sounds BT is not entirely void of signal voltage. It comes with a 1V line output, which is far better them the typical .25V that you see from many MP3 players.

In RE to a BT with a higher line output, its still in prototype stage, so I would not put my system build on hold waiting for it.

JRW160
11-20-2013, 02:04 PM
any particular unit you recommend? thanks.
If it were me, I would probably get a non-marine head unit with 4v pre outs. Something like this pioneer http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_42778_Pioneer-DEH-P8400BH.html. If you want/need a marine head unit, it's going to cost you a little more.