PDA

View Full Version : Maui Bound - 80+ degrees in Hawaii

BuoyChaser
10-26-2005, 01:49 PM
we're heading to Maui for a wedding, anyway have any suggestions for things to do/see??? :firejump:

we won't have enough time to hit any other islands in Hawaii...

ski_king
10-26-2005, 02:26 PM
The bike ride down Haleakala.
You ride to the top of the 10,000 ft. mountain in a van and ride a bike back down to the bottom.
I didn't do it when I was there and have regreted it ever since.
http://www.mauidownhill.com/
http://www.mauidownhill.com/images/maps/detailedmap.jpg

shepherd
10-26-2005, 02:33 PM
The problem with the Haleakala bike ride is that most company's require you to wear their stupid flourescent suits and full face helmets and make you ride in formation (like you see on the website above). I think it may be a park rule...

When my wife and I went about 10 years ago, we were able to find one company that didn't have those rules. They took a group of us up to the park entrance (avoids the park service's rules but only disadvantage is you start at something like 8,000 ft instead of very top at 10,000 feet), and let us free. We still wore bike helmets -- at least part of the way down, and we were able to cruise at our own pace. It was downhill for 35 miles. Awesome!

I don't remember the name of the company but you may be able to find someone who does the same thing if you call around. Or, one time we were considering just renting a couple bikes on our own and an extra rental car for a day (to park at the bottom) and doing it ourselves.

Leroy
10-26-2005, 02:38 PM
Maui is a great island!

Car trip to Hana along the north shore. Great restaurant in Hana at the hotel for lunch.
Lahaina was a neat old port town.
I enjoyed watching the surfing and windsurfing at Hookipa beach.
Of course diving, snorkling, kayaks, and all of the beach stuff.

shepherd
10-26-2005, 02:41 PM
Also, rent a car and drive around east end of the Island past Hana. Stop at the Seven Pools/Oheo Gulch past Hana and climb the trail uphill past all the other tourists. There's a waterfall at the top of the trail and you go through bamboo forests and mango groves. Continue on around the island on your car. Ignore the warning signs not to continue and that it is against your car rental contract. The road wasn't bad at all the two times we went (it was a gravel/dirt road and got washboard-bumpy at times), and it takes you around some of the most deserted and uninhabited parts of the island. It is really a spectacular drive.

Just know that if you break down, the car rental company won't help you because the contract probably DOES forbid you from driving around there. But we weren't the only ones doing it. We saw a few other rental cars out there. Well worth the risk IMO.

Enjoy!

ski_king
10-26-2005, 02:44 PM
Yes, Lahaina is a great old whaling village. Lots of great restruants everywhere.

The drive to Hana was nice also but takes a full day. When I did it my old Toyota rental didnt have power steering and it gave me a workout. You will make more sharp turns on that trip than you would driving a backroad in West Virginia for 2 years!

Also the end of the island opposide Hana is great. Lots of open cattle range one one side of road and the ocean on the other.

I think Maui would be the best place to live in the world if it only had a fresh water place to waterski.

shepherd
10-26-2005, 02:51 PM
No power steering? :eek:

Lahaina seemed like too much of a tourist trap to us... We liked to stay on the Wailea side of the Island away from the crowds (but it may now be just as bad these days). But on the west end of the Island, the north coast is also a very spectacular scenic drive, with lush tropical forest and taro farms on one side and the blue ocean on the other. And it's a shorter drive...

BuoyChaser
10-26-2005, 04:39 PM
great tips, we were wondering about the bike ride just weren't sure if our whole group would enjoy a day of saddle sores...but the pics look amazing, WOW!!!

how about the best place to take some 1st time surfin' lessons???

we're flying into Kahului Airport and our condo is near the Kaanapali Golf Course and across the street from Kaanapali Beach...

Leroy
10-26-2005, 04:49 PM
I've only surfed Oahu, but looks like on the internet south of Lahaina there are good places for beginners. North Shore would not be for beginners!

BuoyChaser
10-26-2005, 08:35 PM
i checked with the guy that owns the place where we're staying

"There are a lot of places to rent boards at reasonable price. West Maui Sports (on Front St.) Surf places are numerous. They very on location, it depends on if there is a north or south swell.

Must sees are: Haleakala Crater, Big/Little Beach at Makena, Kaanapali Beach (Dig'me beach) Honolua Bay (#1 surf spot in the world when there is a north swell. Stay out of the Water there, dangerous!), snorkeling anywhere. Whale watch ( the whales will be just getting here)."

shepherd
10-26-2005, 09:59 PM
Honolua Bay (north of Kapalua) has some excellent snorkeling. Great reef and marine life. Best bet is to just rent a car (preferably a convertible) and go exploring. The less inhabited parts of the island have some great scenery. Also, go to Hookipa Beach in Paia to see the world class surf and windsurfing. The road to Hana may be too far from where you'll be staying. That would be a long long trip out there and back (or around the island as I suggested).

BuoyChaser
10-27-2005, 11:36 AM
got a car rental picked out, no convertible though wanted $80+ more for the week...i know i'm CHEAP, but we've got 4 that have to squeeze in (we're young) and luggage could be interesting!!!great tips SHEPHERD...

really hopin' to see some whales, guess their just starting to come through...

we're on the west coast, so assume we'll be doin' LOTS OF DRIVIN'!!!

3event
10-27-2005, 04:11 PM
Great tips! We're planning a delayed Honeymoon for early next year and nothing beats fellow traveler hints.

A few months back (sorry dont remember the issue) , Waterski Mag had an article on "dream" ski locations and covered a ski club in Hawaii. Not sure what island it was on, but if you want to connect with skiers and try to find a pull, do a search on their website.... I figure I'll do the same once we get the plans in place.

BriEOD
10-27-2005, 04:15 PM
Maui is cool but Kauai is better IMO. When I was stationed in Hawaii we would catch a flight from Oahu to the other inslands (round trip under $99) for the weekend and check things out. Kauai has the river for water skiing and kayaking. The Big Island is cool as well, especially the volcano park.

BriEOD
10-27-2005, 04:17 PM
North Shore would not be for beginners!

It depends on the time of year. Like on Oahu during the winter the N.Shore is huge and great for surfing. But, in the summer it is really flat and great for scuba diving and snorkeling. Vice-versa with Waikiki beach which is on the south end of the island. The weather never really varies no matter the time of year.

BriEOD
10-27-2005, 04:18 PM
I think Maui would be the best place to live in the world if it only had a fresh water place to waterski.

One island over Denny in Kauai, the Wailua river and yes it is freshwater up near the begining. It's awesome!! Plus Kauai isn't as touristy as Oahu and Maui, so it just has more of that laid back island feeling. It's my wife and my favorite Sandwich Isle. I've been their about 8-9x's. They have a course and ski boats right on the river.

shepherd
10-27-2005, 04:21 PM
A few months back (sorry dont remember the issue) , Waterski Mag had an article on "dream" ski locations and covered a ski club in Hawaii. Not sure what island it was on, but if you want to connect with skiers and try to find a pull, do a search on their website....

yeah I looked into that too. It's in Kauai like BriEOD said -- it's the only island with a navigable river.

ski_king
10-27-2005, 04:51 PM
One island over Denny in Kauai, the Wailua river and yes it is freshwater up near the begining. It's awesome!! Plus Kauai isn't as touristy as Oahu and Maui, so it just has more of that laid back island feeling. It's my wife and my favorite Sandwich Isle. I've been their about 8-9x's. They have a course and ski boats right on the river.
I hear ya Brian, I went to Kauai also and went on the Wailua River Cruise. I saw them skiing the course on the river. I was on a 1 day Kauai island tour and didnt have time to ski :rant:

BriEOD
10-27-2005, 05:13 PM
Denny that had to be torture!! I love Kauai, it is so laid back. I could live there ... no shoes, no shirt, no problem!!

Leroy
10-27-2005, 06:14 PM
November, 18 years ago when I was there, the waves were massive!

It depends on the time of year. Like on Oahu during the winter the N.Shore is huge and great for surfing. But, in the summer it is really flat and great for scuba diving and snorkeling. Vice-versa with Waikiki beach which is on the south end of the island. The weather never really varies no matter the time of year.

jmyers
10-27-2005, 07:14 PM
Denny that had to be torture!! I love Kauai, it is so laid back. I could live there ... no shoes, no shirt, no problem!!
Bri you are so right Kauai is nice, I just took my wife and son there in april the waimea canyon is like a minny grand canyon!! We stayed at the Sheraton Poipou beach resort right on the beach! I do say we rented a Jeep Wrangler soft top and that was the best to take off the top and drive that island, except when we had one downpour trying to put up that top in seconds!! Sorry for the runaway t-jack but couldn't resist, have fun in Maui it will be great!!! :D

BuoyChaser
10-27-2005, 08:04 PM
half tempted to take a day to fly to Kauai, but maybe i shouldn't especially without my ski and seein' a slalom course...the wife might never get me on the plane in time to leave!!!

ski_king
10-27-2005, 09:09 PM
November, 18 years ago when I was there, the waves were massive!
Leroy, 18th anniversery coming up?

BriEOD
10-27-2005, 10:02 PM
half tempted to take a day to fly to Kauai, but maybe i shouldn't especially without my ski and seein' a slalom course...the wife might never get me on the plane in time to leave!!!
You should consider it. It is awesome!!

Leroy
10-27-2005, 10:13 PM
Yes, I really can't forget or be on the road this year 11/7! Was so incredible our first son is nicknamed Maui born 8/7/ 17 years ago!

Leroy, 18th anniversery coming up?

BriEOD
10-27-2005, 10:23 PM
That's terrific Leroy!!

BuoyChaser
10-27-2005, 11:28 PM
Yes, I really can't forget or be on the road this year 11/7! Was so incredible our first son is nicknamed Maui born 8/7/ 17 years ago!

my wife and i hope to carry on that tradition, need that permanent spotter in the boat for the next 17+yrs!!!

Leroy
10-28-2005, 12:51 AM
My wife didn't think it was so terrific when she had bad morning sickness and no time to enjoy two salaries, vacations, no kids! I was too dumb to know the difference.....but little Maui is a pretty good teenager now.

That's terrific Leroy!!

Leroy
10-28-2005, 12:57 AM
Good luck and best wishes I'm sure you will have a great time! The mud pie at xxxx can't remember was our downfall....

my wife and i hope to carry on that tradition, need that permanent spotter in the boat for the next 17+yrs!!!

BuoyChaser
10-28-2005, 09:08 AM
Good luck and best wishes I'm sure you will have a great time! The mud pie at xxxx can't remember was our downfall....

HHHHHmmmmmmmmmm, MUD PIE...yummeeeeeeeee!!!going to try and find a LUA to hit but we'll see what happens...got a BBQ then rehearsal dinner then wedding reception, so should be fed well and our thirsts will certainly be quenched!!!

will certainly post some top pics of the weekend!!!

BuoyChaser
10-28-2005, 01:21 PM
everyone at work wants me to bring LEIGHS back, will be fun LEIGHIN' all my co-workers when i return!!!

shepherd
10-28-2005, 02:21 PM
Don't forget the Mai Tais!!!! :friday:

BuoyChaser
10-28-2005, 02:31 PM
Don't forget the Mai Tais!!!! :friday:

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, fresh PINEAPPLE and SUSHI :banana: !!!

BuoyChaser
10-28-2005, 03:45 PM
ROUNDS OF MAI TAIS to everyone!!!

shepherd
10-28-2005, 06:39 PM
I think we still have 1/2 a pitcher of Mai Tais in our fridge from last weekend. I'll drink it tonight in honor of BuoyChaser's Hawaiin vacation thread! :friday:

I'll be hitting the slalom course tomorrow with a hangover. Best hangover cure in the world. :D

BuoyChaser
10-31-2005, 11:23 AM
I think we still have 1/2 a pitcher of Mai Tais in our fridge from last weekend. I'll drink it tonight in honor of BuoyChaser's Hawaiin vacation thread! :friday:

I'll be hitting the slalom course tomorrow with a hangover. Best hangover cure in the world. :D

how were the Mai Tais???

my wife is anxiously awaiting a fresh pina colada poured in a carved out pineapple on the beach, WILL SCORE BIG TO FIND THIS ONE!!!

BriEOD
10-31-2005, 02:01 PM
I chuckled when I read that. It's amazing the stereotype that goes along with Hawaii. I guess after living there for 4 years the novelty wears off. But, every time I'd go to the airport you'd see flower shops making a killing on leis, etc. It really helps the tourism industry. But, you never saw the locals into any of that. :twocents:

shepherd
10-31-2005, 05:46 PM
how were the Mai Tais???

my wife is anxiously awaiting a fresh pina colada poured in a carved out pineapple on the beach, WILL SCORE BIG TO FIND THIS ONE!!!

Well, the pitcher was gone. I think my wife must have finished them while I was away on travel :rant: . So it was a beer and wine weekend (and a little single malt).

BC, you should SCORE BIG just by taking her to Maui! ;) The pina colada is just extra...

BuoyChaser
11-08-2005, 05:36 PM
ahhhh, MAUI rocked!!!

shepherd
11-09-2005, 12:06 AM
ahhhh, MAUI rocked!!!

Nice. Just how we left it! ;) Looks like Molokai in the background (?)

vegashomeexpert
11-09-2005, 10:26 AM
great tips, we were wondering about the bike ride just weren't sure if our whole group would enjoy a day of saddle sores...but the pics look amazing, WOW!!!

how about the best place to take some 1st time surfin' lessons???

we're flying into Kahului Airport and our condo is near the Kaanapali Golf Course and across the street from Kaanapali Beach...
We took lessons near the Lahaina Marina. Water is shallow so the instructors stand in the water and give you a push to start. It will wear you out! Makes you appreciate the kind of shape avid surfers are in!

BuoyChaser
11-09-2005, 05:00 PM
We took lessons near the Lahaina Marina. Water is shallow so the instructors stand in the water and give you a push to start. It will wear you out! Makes you appreciate the kind of shape avid surfers are in!

yahhh, my step-uncle-in-law (father of the bride) who is an avid surfer, picked up a bunch of boards and took us to "GUARDRAILS" just south of Lahaina, on a strip of road with Guard Rails...guess it is a great area that is free of dangers and great waves for beginners...

got up on 2nd try, but man my arms were tired paddling out after only 3 good rides and tons of missed waves, certainly a new appreciation!!!