PDA

View Full Version : Winterize tips

Kyle
11-06-2013, 02:15 PM
I'm posting this knowing I will get flamed as much as I do about my shoes.

This year we had a dredging company come out and dredge one of the local lakes. It was a very shallow lake and now is nice to ski pretty much anywhere. They pulled out a lot of stumps when the dredging was being done along with making very nice sandy beaches. Usually we would back in and toss out a front and rear anchor. Now that the beach is real nice and it slopes off pretty fast we beached our boats. Now I'm not talking about ramming the boat up on the beach, I'm just talking about enough to catch the bow and leave it. We never had to really pull the boats off the beach. You really could just do it one man by pushing them out or pulling on the back.

Ok so when my stereo would drain my batteries I would crank the boat and recharge them while beached. Now before thinking how stupid it sounds realize that the nose was caught but by the time you were at the platform the water was 6' deep. This being said I didn't find it being so stupid.

I went to winterize and found a lot of sand in my manifolds. I'm talking enough to not let it drain out. I rammed a screw driver in the drain plug and the sandy water came out.

Next, after freaking out thinking sand was in all of the water jackets throughout the heads and block, I decided to run to the lake and start it. No sand came out of the engine drain plugs. On a 351w there are 2 plugs one on each side. On a 350 Chevy or gt40 ford engine, you have a plug on one side and a knock sensor on the other. Anyway sand did not come out of the engine. So I decided to crank it up. I ran it without the manifold plugs in and flushed the sand out. Yes it's kind of messy, but sand in the exhaust is bad. I flushed the exhaust keeping an eye on the block feeling every cylinder and making sure I didn't have hot spots. After flushing it, I put the plugs back in and ran the boat. Everything checked out ok, so I pulled the plugs again. This time no sand came out.

I'm guessing that passing boats that caused my boat to raise and lower with the passing wake made a sandy ploom cloud and the intake sucked it through the engine. Once it passed through the engine it collected in the risers.

From now on, I plan on flushing the risers just in case there is some kind of trash or sand in them. Most people just drain them, but if you ski in a shallow private lake or beach your boat then it is impossible not to suck stirred up sand through the engine.

Mine is more than likely from beaching, and like I said, I never have rammed the boat up onto the beach. It is more like float up and pull it until it catches or drive in and turn the boat off and drift in. Where I beached was 1' at the nose and 5' to 6' at the platform. This being said my intake was never on the beach just sucking sand.

Just an idea to throw out there. I know I'll get flamed for beaching, but I know there are others here that do it.

atthelake
11-06-2013, 07:59 PM
I've had couple of friends with the same issues at a small lake that is has a high soda content and a very "fluffy" sand bottom. I think the biggest problem they ran into "beaching" their boats (like you do) is the sand would settle out wherever water was able to enter. So if water got in around the intake, you fire up the engine and suck it up. The bottom on this lake, on a calm day with a few ripples, would cover your feet in a couple of minutes.
I wonder if some of that sand may have "scaled up" from the heat though. I know they always (not at first, but after a couple cooked heads or whatever they did to their engines) flush their engines with vinegar and then chase it with water. Literally take an empty garden hose, fill with vinegar and chase it with water. Push just enough water in so you think you have mostly just vinegar throughout, let it sit for a half hour or so (generally 2-3 beers and a smoke) and then flush it out.

I'm not sure if you were looking for any advice on this issue, just thought I'd throw in my $.02.

As far as the beaching goes, I have no opinion on that at all. If we didn't have a dock and lift at the cabin, I'd do the same thing.

Sodar
11-06-2013, 08:12 PM
I get the same thing in my boat and I do not beach, but run in sandy and somewhat shallow water. At the end of the season, I do exactly what you said and run the engine with no plugs in. It flushes it out nicely...