PDA

View Full Version : Prop shaft strut for '79 SNS

sam196370
11-06-2013, 12:31 PM
Bent mine this summer and wondering if anyone has a straight one, would also appreciate any recommendations for where to buy a new one, I found a replacement at waterski.com and going to get in touch with Jim at BAWS about a replacement too.

Thanks!

mikeg205
11-06-2013, 01:17 PM
don't forget skidim.com as well.

Cloaked
11-06-2013, 07:02 PM
........... going to get in touch with Jim at BAWS........

Thanks!not possible....

sam196370
11-12-2013, 11:26 AM
Is Jim no longer working at BAWS??? If not anyone know who took his place?

Cloaked
11-12-2013, 05:18 PM
Is Jim no longer working at BAWS??? If not anyone know who took his place?He's dead......

madcityskier
11-12-2013, 06:48 PM
He's dead......

At least you broke it to him gently... (That isn't meant to sound harsh, I make jokes in all situations, it's just that I don't make funny jokes.)
There was a thread about this started under general discussion.
I have seen answers on here since, but for the life of me can't think who it was. Best bet is probably to contact the dealership directly.

CCAnderson
11-12-2013, 07:21 PM
I thinking that you should be able to have it straightened. People can straighten out a drive shaft and prop. I personally reworked my rudder and rudder box this summer and they are the same material as the the strut. That rudder box was a bear but it came back into shape.

Take it to a machine shop and let them have a go at it. What is the worst that can happen, they break it and you buy a new one which you are already looking at doing anyways.

There is is always glenwood marine.

madcityskier
11-12-2013, 07:36 PM
Worst that can happen is more like, it appears fixed, but in a weakened state. If it fails it could allow the prop to hit the hull cutting a sizeable hole in it, imho. Not swing it's likely, but it can, and has previously, happen. It's probably not likely, but I'm a bit paranoid about major components. There was someone on here a while back who had a blade come off the prop and chop up the hull with no apparent damage beforehand. Same kind of thing in my mind.

CCAnderson
12-04-2013, 11:39 AM
It would take a lot of bending to cold work the material to a brittle state. even then, if anealled it will be as good as new.