PDA

View Full Version : Just another Power to JL 7.7's thread - '14 X-Star

ol1970
11-05-2013, 11:44 AM
O.k. so I'm danger close to deciding on the new stereo set up in a '14 X Star. Couple of questions I'm looking for opinions on:

-Is running 200W to each of the in-boat speakers overkill? Is it too much to run to the 7.7's? The new '14 X Stars with the Fusion radios have 4 separate zones so you can dial power to in cabin vs. tower vs. bow vs. sub from the remotes and the main touch screen.
-Tower speakers - I know it has been asked on previous threads, but does anybody have a 750/1 (already have this from old boat) actually hooked up and running their 4 JL tower speakers? What is your honest opinion on how they sound? Stereo vs. Mono = no big deal?
-Running my 13w7 in a ported box...will I notice a significant difference between powering it with a 750/1 vs. a 1200/1?
-Batteries, -will running 3 Optima Blue tops be sufficient, or am I going to want to want to invest in having a separate dedicated bank of batteries for stereo alone (seems overkill to me). Boat will have the integrated shore charger.

Thanks for your opinions!

David Analog
11-05-2013, 03:19 PM
-200 watts from an unregulated amplifier works fine on the in-boat 7.7"s. It's not necessary but definitely has stronger midbass attack with those type reserves. 200 watts with an unregulated amplifier is like 150 watts with a strictly regulated amplifier.
-Done it many times and it's ideal. Here's an article on stereo vs mono for the tower.
http://earmarkcaraudio.com/articles/STEREO_OR_MONO_ON_THE_TOWER.htm
You'll have a horizontal array on the tower so you are going to perceive mono regardless of whether it's summed acoustically or electronically. An HD750/1 in a series/parallel configuration or an XD800/8 bridged into four channels will work perfectly.
-Yes, the extra power will make a difference on a 13W7. It's all about control with a sub like that.
-An Optima group 34 Blue Top is an undersized battery with very moderate amp/hours. I like the benefits of an AGM but I would step up to larger capacity batteries, whether from Optima, Deka or another. At least step up to a group 24 which drops into the standard size tray/bracket or case/lid.

ol1970
11-05-2013, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the response David! So is a JL 600/6 an unregulated amp or a strictly regulated amp? Sorry if that is a dumb question...

David Analog
11-05-2013, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the response David! So is a JL 600/6 an unregulated amp or a strictly regulated amp? Sorry if that is a dumb question...

The XD family of amplifiers is unregulated. So it will lose 25% min. to 30% max. of it's 14.4V power with a 12.6V supply. However, the JL Audio XD amplifiers will typically test right on the 14.4V rating with a 12.6V supply. In some cases at rest you will fall below a 12.6V supply. In other cases while underway you will be in the mid 13V supply area but that voltage will definitely sag at the amplifier terminals with a large system driven hard.
In contrast, the HD amplifiers are strictly regulated and will at minimum hold rated power even when the supply voltage sags to 11V, which it will momentarily do with a big system driven hard, particularly on heavy or prolonged bass notes.

ol1970
11-06-2013, 03:12 PM
Thank you David! I'll let you know how it turns out this winter/spring when all the pieces come together. My curiosity is how the battery set up will hold out. I've had good luck with my current set up but I'm adding about 1500W of amps to this new boat. I'll definitely upgrade batteries as suggested.