PDA

View Full Version : 13 Xstar surf wake

Rainman45
11-04-2013, 10:13 PM
I have been hearing that the 13 Xstar throws a really good surf wake when properly weighted. I was just curious if anyone has been in one to see it or surfed it. Also if you have surfed it how much weight is it taking to get the wave good? thanks

lashburn1
11-04-2013, 10:58 PM
I have not read that here....
Hopefully an X -star owner / user will elaborate or correct me

mcLove
11-04-2013, 11:13 PM
There is one blog that i know of. i will see if i can find it

tkemperdc
11-04-2013, 11:29 PM
fourforty on here Im sure will chime in, IIRC he is very happy with his surf wake.

FourFourty
11-05-2013, 11:15 AM
Yes, very happy with my surf wake. Took some time to figure out, only because it likes the weight a bit different than most. These shots are with stock ballast full, 500lbs in the port locker, and 500 in the coffin. Driver and 1 spotter. Adding ballast to the non surf side, will make the wave less steep. I really like a steep wave though. I wish I had more pics, but we are not a very photogenic bunch. My buddies have more, and I need to have them send me them.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e183/edutil/IMG_0696_zps4e85b0c5.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e183/edutil/IMG_0684_zps0686a7ea.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e183/edutil/IMG_0673_zps4def27c3.jpg

Air 180 attempt. Finally landed this just a few weeks ago. Must have tried it 1000 times. Hard to pull off without falling over forward, as you can see. I know it looks bad, but it was maybe attempt #10 at this point :D

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e183/edutil/IMG_0728_zps53a74bba.jpg

This is a shot of the wake with only stock ballast full, and 750 in the coffin. As you can see, it is not as steep as I ride. Also, Rina is just learning, so we didn't fill the locker sacks. That being said, the less that you offset the rear weight, the less steep the wave will be.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e183/edutil/IMG_0759_zpsc6adcafb.jpg

P.S.- This boat may not have the cleanest surf wake in the world, but it has the most push of any boat I have ridden. I am 170lbs, and that is a 4'2" custom I am riding...... A board designed for like 120lbs or less.

lashburn1
11-05-2013, 11:54 AM
Looks surfable to me !

lashburn1
11-05-2013, 11:58 AM
Yes, very happy with my surf wake. Took some time to figure out, only because it likes the weight a bit different than most. These shots are with stock ballast full, 500lbs in the port locker, and 500 in the coffin. Driver and 1 spotter. Adding ballast to the non surf side, will make the wave less steep. I really like a steep wave though. I wish I had more pics, but we are not a very photogenic bunch. My buddies have more, and I need to have them send me them.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e183/edutil/IMG_0696_zps4e85b0c5.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e183/edutil/IMG_0684_zps0686a7ea.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e183/edutil/IMG_0673_zps4def27c3.jpg

Air 180 attempt. Finally landed this just a few weeks ago. Must have tried it 1000 times. Hard to pull off without falling over forward, as you can see. I know it looks bad, but it was maybe attempt #10 at this point :D

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e183/edutil/IMG_0728_zps53a74bba.jpg

This is a shot of the wake with only stock ballast full, and 750 in the coffin. As you can see, it is not as steep as I ride. Also, Rina is just learning, so we didn't fill the locker sacks. That being said, the less that you offset the rear weight, the less steep the wave will be.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e183/edutil/IMG_0759_zpsc6adcafb.jpg

P.S.- This boat may not have the cleanest surf wake in the world, but it has the most push of any boat I have ridden. I am 170lbs, and that is a 4'2" custom I am riding...... A board designed for like 120lbs or less.

Your SIG shows you have an X25..but these PICs are an X-Star ? right? you have both Boats ? or Access to Both? ..either way..you are lucky..and the Wave looks good

scott023
11-05-2013, 12:40 PM

That looks mighty fine to me.

AlbertaSurfer
11-05-2013, 12:44 PM
For all the chatter on here that the Star doesn't throw a good surf wake, it looks pretty good to me. Of course, there are better wakes, but that's twice the size of my 205V Star surf wake and we surf that no problem. I definitely don't agree that the Star is only good for wakeboarding, I'd love to have that surf wave.

scott023
11-05-2013, 12:51 PM
For all the chatter on here that the Star doesn't throw a good surf wake, it looks pretty good to me. Of course, there are better wakes, but that's twice the size of my 205V Star surf wake and we surf that no problem. I definitely don't agree that the Star is only good for wakeboarding, I'd love to have that surf wave.

The last gen Star had a horrible surf wake, IMO. Have a couple buddies with them, and I found they were finiky and getting a good, consistent wake was beyond a pain in the butt.

FourFourty
11-05-2013, 02:12 PM
Your SIG shows you have an X25..but these PICs are an X-Star ? right? you have both Boats ? or Access to Both? ..either way..you are lucky..and the Wave looks good

I used to have an X25. I guess I better update my sig!!

There are better wakes for sure. I have never ridden a centurion, or supreme, but I have heard they are in a whole different league. I ride a G23, X30, MXZ 22, and a Moomba LSV pretty frequently, and I love this wave, as much, or more, than any of those. The G23, and X30 have very similar surf wakes, and are both very impressive. Long, clean, and not as steep as the Star. The MXZ and moomba (older LSV) are not noteworthy surf wakes IMO. I have ridden a 23LSV twice, and that surf wake was awesome. Every bit as good as the G23, X30, and XStar. It has a fairly steep surf wake as well.

Still jealous that the G23 is so easy to set up. :mad:

Hopefully the rumors are true, that MC will have something next month.

Keep in mind, I am not running slammed in these photos. Rina was my only people ballast, and she is 100lbs soaking wet :D

Albertarider
11-07-2013, 01:55 AM
I have heard the x star makes a horrible surf wake for the size of the boat. Judging from FourFortys pictures, that wake looks the same, if not worse than the surf wake on my 2013 x2

lashburn1
11-07-2013, 02:06 AM
I have heard the x star makes a horrible surf wake for the size of the boat. Judging from FourFortys pictures, that wake looks the same, if not worse than the surf wake on my 2013 x2

Please post your X2 wake with a person on it
Oh yeah, this is my 100th post, congrats to me!

scott023
11-07-2013, 03:15 AM

Alright, pics are needed after that statement. Otherwise, I'm calling BS.

FourFourty
11-07-2013, 09:39 AM
Alright, pics are needed after that statement. Otherwise, I'm calling BS.

Coming soon to this thread- Photos of surf wave taken from down on the waterline beside the boat, in order to make surf wake look a foot taller :D

In all seriousness, I don't doubt that an X2 could produce a surf wake like that. It would take 3k worth of ballast though, and a heavily listed boat. I am only running 1800 lbs total (1550 total in the pic with rina riding), and 100-170lbs of people ballast in those photos.... And the boat sits almost level at rest.

I guess I need to get twin 750s for the back, 1200 for the coffin, and 8 people to show up the X2 surf wake. 8p

Albertarider- your X2 can produce a wake like a lightly loaded XStar? What about a heavier loaded one....

Fun fact for you also- The owners daughter (the one riding in this pic) is a pro surfer. Can your X2 produce a 40" tall wave, that is also 25-30 feet long? Imagine how far back she started, to get air that far back from the boat.....

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1052804_10200641411371537_1257821748_o.jpg

ol1970
11-07-2013, 10:17 AM
Cracks me up with people saying this or that boat is the best for surfing. IMO you can slam any boat and make a sweet surf wake way good enough for my skill set. It is more about the ease of which the set-up takes place. That wave is crazy in that pic...I can't see sacks in the boat, any idea how it was loaded? Do you run just the hard ballast on the port side to get more lean? That is how I always did it on my X Star...I can't wait to get the new one to be able to ride goofy...I had to learn to ride regular surfing since it was tedious set up process to get a good push off the starboard side.

FourFourty
11-07-2013, 10:58 AM
Cracks me up with people saying this or that boat is the best for surfing. IMO you can slam any boat and make a sweet surf wake way good enough for my skill set. It is more about the ease of which the set-up takes place. That wave is crazy in that pic...I can't see sacks in the boat, any idea how it was loaded? Do you run just the hard ballast on the port side to get more lean? That is how I always did it on my X Star...I can't wait to get the new one to be able to ride goofy...I had to learn to ride regular surfing since it was tedious set up process to get a good push off the starboard side.

AFAIK, it is- Rear tanks full, 750 in the stbd locker, 200 in the cooler compartment, and the 4 peeps.

The new Star can do a pretty good wave on either side, but the setups are completely different.

Port= Attitude plate at 0%, 11.2-11.5mph
Stbd= Attitude plate at 20-30%, 10.0-10.5mph

scott023
11-07-2013, 11:11 AM
Coming soon to this thread- Photos of surf wave taken from down on the waterline beside the boat, in order to make surf wake look a foot taller :D

In all seriousness, I don't doubt that an X2 could produce a surf wake like that. It would take 3k worth of ballast though, and a heavily listed boat. I am only running 1800 lbs total (1550 total in the pic with rina riding), and 100-170lbs of people ballast in those photos.... And the boat sits almost level at rest.

I guess I need to get twin 750s for the back, 1200 for the coffin, and 8 people to show up the X2 surf wake. 8p

Albertarider- your X2 can produce a wake like a lightly loaded XStar? What about a heavier loaded one....

Fun fact for you also- The owners daughter (the one riding in this pic) is a pro surfer. Can your X2 produce a 40" tall wave, that is also 25-30 feet long? Imagine how far back she started, to get air that far back from g[/IMG]

There's a huge improvement over last Gen Stars. I'd like to surf that.

scottsx2
11-07-2013, 06:51 PM
For those interested here is the surf wave on my X2

lashburn1
11-07-2013, 07:19 PM

Looks rideable to me

Aric'sX15
11-07-2013, 07:49 PM
crappy

jk lol

scott023
11-07-2013, 08:28 PM

Vet nice wake there.

Aric'sX15
11-07-2013, 10:24 PM
Still waiting on this thread to turn into a "my wake is bigger than yours" arguement. Its winter isnt it?

Flame on! Haha

Guyel
03-15-2014, 05:20 AM
I just received my X Star 2013, 7.4, I test it one time in the water, the dealer is from Florida and I am in CA so they didn't even explain me how to start the boat, what setting are you using to get the big wave, my boat have also plug and play (4 bags additional to factory tank), also i was trying to keep the stereo on but it look like the key have to be on and all the screen are power up, i am concern that it will drain the battery to fast, is that the only way?
thanks,
Guy