PDA

View Full Version : Tundra CrewMax 5.7 Towing review

lashburn1
11-04-2013, 08:43 PM
..no really off topic..but
Had a chance to Tow a medium heavy load from San Diego to Phoenix and back last week.
20' enclosed Car Hauler/Toy trailer., tandem axle , 4 wheel electric Brakes.. 3500 lbs empty
Load - was approx 4800 lbs of tight packed sound equipment 4' hi- front to back.

Weight Distro hitch

Tundra 5.7 , tow package, with Trd Cold Air intake and Trd Dual cat-back exhaust
Electric brake controller.

Est trailer load 8200 lbs

Tongue wt est 1200-1300 lbs - after the fact :(

Due to some package necessities , I had to place some heavy gear in the nose of the trailer
Wt Distro hitch helped compensate, but would load differently if routine ...

Interstate 8 was the Major route

Towing and Braking
Towing - Sea Level thru 4100 ft. Rig was able to maintain 55- in Most climbs without much effort.
60+ required a heavier foot but if you need to pass uphill , there is power to do so.
Used 4th and 5th gears on most climbs 2000-3500 rpm
Heavy steep windy, climbs required 3rd gear and 3500 rpms. 2nd and 4000 once. 6000. Is redline
Slowest speed was 45mph , only vehicles passing were Cars and Non trailing trucks.
Very steep and Windy.

Cruising on Flat (ish) ground in 5th @ 2100 rpm for 60mph

Braking- breaking on all terrains and grades felt sure and safe with electric Brake combo..
Note - our electric brake did become disengaged once (Faulty 7pin) and we used only the Tundras brake system exiting a downhill off ramp to fix.
Though you could feel it, it was nice to no the truck could step in and help..

Fuel economy was a dismal 8.5 through the whole trip...lots of hills, and a bit of speeding 65-70

If I towed heavy more often , I would NOT used the Toyota TRd dual exhaust..
It sounds nice when you start the engine or step on the gas...nice low growl...
When you cruise and most hwy speeds the sound goes away...
However, when Towing the sound is present on all hill climbs and level speeds over 62 Mph

Shouldn't really be towing over 55mph...but you get the idea..

rgardjr1
11-05-2013, 01:17 PM
I've got a 20' four place enclosed motorcycle tandem axle trailer that we've towed from Spokane to Reno behind a Tundra a few times. No upgrades to the Toyota intake or exhaust, but our results are pretty much identical to yours. We didn't use a weight distribution hitch, but did use a brake controller. I'm sure were over a 1000 lbs lighter in the trailer. Only complaint from us is the mpg. The most recent trip we just had two of us and took my 2003 Sierra Denali. Ended up with a little better mpg, but we had a lighter load in the trailer. Tundra always felt sure footed and our route includes a lot of ups and downs through passes.

ncsone
11-05-2013, 02:06 PM
That is pretty much the same experience I have with my truck - a great truck, great motor and poor fuel economy.

roadster02
11-09-2013, 03:53 PM
Want a Pickup truck with real towing ability? Buy an American made. Forget the oriental imposters.

soacj
11-09-2013, 04:29 PM
Want a Pickup truck with real towing ability? Buy an American made. Forget the oriental imposters.

Really? Lack of "real towing ability" based on what?

And for the record, I've got a Ram 2500 diesel sitting in my driveway--Right next to my daily driver Tacoma doublecab.

roadster02
11-09-2013, 05:08 PM
There you go. When you want to haul the heavy load without any effort, use the Dodge, the other is a toy. Been down that "other" road before, never again.

Sodar
11-09-2013, 05:16 PM
I love the American made argument.

This is exactly why I switched from the American made truck to a truck that was actually built in America, rather than Mexico. I also liked the fact that my tax dollars were not spent to bail Toyota out.

Lastly, the Tundra will out tow anything the American counterparts have to offer.

soacj
11-09-2013, 06:27 PM

This is exactly why I switched from the American made truck to a truck that was actually built in America, rather than Mexico. I also liked the fact that my tax dollars were not spent to bail Toyota out.

Lastly, the Tundra will out tow anything the American counterparts have to offer.

My point exactly.

fskof
11-09-2013, 06:38 PM

+1 Not only is the Tundra assembled in America but it uses more part's built in the USA then the domestics.

I heard that Toyota is working on a 3/4 ton version of the Tundra to compete with the Ford F250, Ram 2500, Chevy 2500

roadster02
11-09-2013, 09:29 PM
Ford, Chevy, Dodge were all building trucks when the others still were having trouble perfecting the rickshaw. If you like foreign, buy foreign, just please stop singing their praises. When I countered by singing the domestic product praises you guys get all ruffled. I was not intending to start an argument, just my opinion. Oh, and by the way my FORD Superduty was built in the USA, and Ford did NOT take a bailout. I will say no more.

Aric'sX15
11-09-2013, 09:42 PM

Lies.
F150/6.2
F150/3.5 ecoboost
Silverado sierra/ 6.2

All tow better, look better and are cheaper.

lashburn1
11-09-2013, 10:00 PM
Ford, Chevy, Dodge were all building trucks when the others still were having trouble perfecting the rickshaw. If you like foreign, buy foreign, just please stop singing their praises. When I countered by singing the domestic product praises you guys get all ruffled. I was not intending to start an argument, just my opinion. Oh, and by the way my FORD Superduty was built in the USA, and Ford did NOT take a bailout. I will say no more.

This was simply a Short review of my experience towing with with My Tundra.
Meant to share with others towing and not to brag.

Take your RACIST toned comments to another forum.

thank you.

DHPRO
11-09-2013, 10:01 PM
Funny thing is Tundra was built by Chevy engineers poached from GM who wee fed up with the bullish!t over there. They took all the best parts of the 1500, fixed the crappy 4L60 and sloppy 10 bolt rr end, put a 6 speed in it before Chev's bureaucracy could manage it, added 2500 style towing and payload numbers and had all three US guys for lunch. It was a wake up call for the big 3. It took some phony accelerator witch hunt to get the domestic guys back in the game... Oh and all your tax dollars too!

Aric'sX15
11-10-2013, 12:14 AM
Please tell me how the tundra is better.
1. Ugliest truck on the market
2. Way to expensive for what you get
3. My f150 crew is just as big as a crew max.
4. Terrible gas mileage
5. Ecoboost out tows and better mpgs
6. Ford didnt take a bailout
7. If you like a wide oversized 1500 pickup that gets terrible mps, the tundra is for you!

kskonn
11-10-2013, 01:09 AM
Funny thing is Tundra was built by Chevy engineers poached from GM who wee fed up with the bullish!t over there. They took all the best parts of the 1500, fixed the crappy 4L60 and sloppy 10 bolt rr end, put a 6 speed in it before Chev's bureaucracy could manage it, added 2500 style towing and payload numbers and had all three US guys for lunch. It was a wake up call for the big 3. It took some phony accelerator witch hunt to get the domestic guys back in the game... Oh and all your tax dollars too!

I won't get in the my truck is better than your truck even though I have owned and towed with all of them. I also sell to all of them. The only fact I will point out is that Ford never took bailout money.

Also as a side note, my buddies at Toyota in San Antonio have told me that the majority of their market gain was taken from Chevy and Dodge, in their words " we continue to chase ford, especially their interior features and designs."

Just throwing in my limited insight.

roadster02
11-10-2013, 07:40 AM
Racist??? With trucks????

thank you.

Cloaked
11-10-2013, 08:09 AM

thank you.

Racist??? With trucks????LMAO.... you are a racist..... the raciest guy in this thread.... :D

A hijacked thread gone all to hell.... :uglyhamme

You folks did jack his thread with trivial bullchit, but the fearless ones will moderate and get you back on track... :D :D

All over a half-ton coaster wagon concept and opinion. A bunch of wolves in here....makes me laugh a little about how trucks can spark even the most severely impotent desires back to life with insults on a feather-light machine...second only to a hunting dog fight thread....

My expectations are a little higher than the eco does it all-dodge is great-non bailout ford-chevy hater-bash anything coaster wagons... :D

'Racist' made me laugh , but then so did the question about 'being a racist over a truck'....

Thanks for the humor..... yea yea... bla bla.... :)

mzimme
11-10-2013, 08:22 AM
LMAO.... you are a racist..... the raciest guy in this thread.... :D

A hijacked thread gone all to hell.... :uglyhamme

You folks did jack his thread with trivial bullchit, but the fearless ones will moderate and get you back on track... :D :D

All over a half-ton coaster wagon concept and opinion. A bunch of wolves in here....makes me laugh a little about how trucks can spark even the most severely impotent desires back to life with insults on a feather-light machine...second only to a hunting dog fight thread....

My expectations are a little higher than the eco does it all-dodge is great-non bailout ford-chevy hater-bash anything coaster wagons... :D

'Racist' made me laugh , but then so did the question about 'being a racist over a truck'....

Thanks for the humor..... yea yea... bla bla.... :)

This is what happens when people can't ski anymore... :o

lashburn1
11-10-2013, 10:16 AM
Sometimes these post get off track... Read the 1st post... Does it really jab at another product or remotely suggest "the best" ?

Sodar
11-10-2013, 11:01 AM
Lies.
F150/6.2
F150/3.5 ecoboost
Silverado sierra/ 6.2

All tow better, look better and are cheaper.

When I bought mine, none of these were available. Especially the Silverado 6.2. Hell, the 6.2 did not exist and the 6.0 had less horsepower and torque than the 5.7 in the Tundra and got less gas mileage than it to boot. I understand that we are talking the past here, but that was the last time I looked at trucks. Part of the reason I went with Toyota is that I will not need to look at trucks for a while. Unlike my last Chevy which started falling apart at 80k miles.

Sodar
11-10-2013, 11:08 AM
Please tell me how the tundra is better.
1. Ugliest truck on the market Have you seen the Silverado?
2. Way to expensive for what you get Untrue. I priced them all and they were all in the high $30k range for fully optioned.
3. My f150 crew is just as big as a crew max. Absolutely untrue. The reason I went with a Tundra. I was originally going with a Sequoia, but when the wife saw the reclining back seat, we changed our minds.
4. Terrible gas mileage Like I said above, the 6.0 and 5.7 were pretty comparable. Either way, I don't pay for fuel, so I am stoked on the 381hp.
5. Ecoboost out tows and better mpgs OK
6. Ford didnt take a bailout OK
7. If you like a wide oversized 1500 pickup that gets terrible mps, the tundra is for you! Rather drive the Toyota than an F'd, but that's my opinion, just like yours on the Tundra.

See above. :)

FourFourty
11-10-2013, 11:28 AM
See above. :)

You should definitely take a peek inside of a newer (09+) crew cab F150. The seats might not recline, but it is every bit as big, if not bigger, than the crew max.

Aric'sX15
11-10-2013, 12:30 PM
You should definitely take a peek inside of a newer (09+) crew cab F150. The seats might not recline, but it is every bit as big, if not bigger, than the crew max.

+1
Ive been in them all. Ive owned a ram, silverado, and f150. F150 was by far the best of any truck ive been in. My friend has a crew max limited tundra, and my f150 back seat is about the same. My leather, and fit and finish felt a lot better than the tundra as well. My 5.0 v8 has 390 hp by the way ;)
The new silverado might be ugly, but the "new" tundra is 1000000x uglier! Lol.

But ford warranty service SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With that being said, I pick up my 3 series bmw tomorrow. Im done with trucks for now.

sand2snow22
11-10-2013, 01:04 PM
My 5.0 v8 has 390 hp by the way ;)

In your Mustang maybe... F150 has 360 HP...

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/ford-f-150-news-2011-ford-f-150-engine-specs

DHPRO
11-10-2013, 04:55 PM
I won't get in the my truck is better than your truck even though I have owned and towed with all of them. I also sell to all of them. The only fact I will point out is that Ford never took bailout money.

Also as a side note, my buddies at Toyota in San Antonio have told me that the majority of their market gain was taken from Chevy and Dodge, in their words " we continue to chase ford, especially their interior features and designs."

Just throwing in my limited insight.

Look don't get me wrong, I own a Tundra, an Avalanche, and a CTSV (best BMW killer made). I've dealt with the limitations of both, and I'm considering an F250 currently (real tough choice considering after my Navigator, and Expedition I swore I'd NEVER own another Ford!). Fact is Ford seems to have the best truck right now for various reasons. I only hope their service and support is at least as good as Chev and Tundra, cause thats not how i remember it.

kskonn
11-10-2013, 05:13 PM
Look don't get me wrong, I own a Tundra, an Avalanche, and a CTSV (best BMW killer made). I've dealt with the limitations of both, and I'm considering an F250 currently (real tough choice considering after my Navigator, and Expedition I swore I'd NEVER own another Ford!). Fact is Ford seems to have the best truck right now for various reasons. I only hope their service and support is at least as good as Chev and Tundra, cause thats not how i remember it.

In my experience the service and support has been a lot like owning a boat. A good dealer makes all the difference in the world. I just traded in my chevy 2500HD for an F250. My chevy was a good truck, had some random intermittent electrical issues but overall was great. I went with the ford because I have a few friends who know trucks and have never steered me wrong. They all recommended the ford diesel if I was buying today. Luckily my ford dealer has been great, the chevy dealer was great, my local dodge dealer was not so great.

soacj
11-11-2013, 06:57 AM

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, and in essence I'd like to agree with it. However, not a single negative thing was said regarding domestic trucks prior to your allegations that the Tundra was somehow an inferior 1/2 ton tow vehicle. I doubt anyone here would have felt the need to slam your Ford if you had been "singing (its) praises" in your own thread.

roadster02
11-11-2013, 10:10 AM
You're right, my bad. It hit a sore spot with me. I will try to contain myself on this subject

FoggyNogginz
11-11-2013, 09:21 PM
Love my 08 Tundra. It tows the trailer out from under my boat if I want it to, and it outruns the teens in their silly glasspack racers all week long. I have 130K on it and it has never seen the shop. Every button on the dash still works in the mean time, while my neighbor has put a new xmission, two speakers, and replaced the power mirror motor on the driver side of his Silverado.

This is not the case for everyone, and I'm sure at least one of you has a perfect Chevy with 600K on it and the original oil/tires/wiper blades. But this is my experience.

If we really wanted to talk towing, none of us would be driving gasoline powered trucks though. My next one will be diesel for sure.

Aric'sX15
11-11-2013, 09:43 PM
tundra towed the space shuttle, it must be the best

FoggyNogginz
11-11-2013, 10:55 PM
yep...and I drink Diet coke because Taylor Swift does ;)

lashburn1
11-12-2013, 01:51 AM
tundra towed the space shuttle, it must be the best

yep...and I drink Diet coke because Taylor Swift does ;)

Me too.... Wait, what's Diet Coke?

Aric'sX15
11-12-2013, 10:07 AM
This thread took a pretty interesting turn. Lol

tkemperdc
11-12-2013, 10:09 AM
I love lamp.....:confused:

mastercraft1995
11-12-2013, 12:09 PM
You have to buy what's right for you and what you think is the best deal on the best truck.

That being said I really like my Tundra and have no need for a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.

tkemperdc
11-12-2013, 01:06 PM
I have to agree, go with what works for you and the situation you have. I pull my boat and daily drive a 1999 F-350 Crew 7.3 diesel. I have to pull my boat most of the time to the lake, so I need a good puller, with some room. with the mods to the truck, 4in straight exhaust, K&N, and Edge programmer. I can pry move a house, so the boat feels like nothing behind. Leave the truck in OD and go.

Is a heavy duty 1 ton truck right for everyone by no means, figure out with what works for your situation.

As far as brands you will always get the put down or make a superstar out of one brand or another.

That being said, I think the OP, just was putting up his experience, and then BOOM.... everyone went off tangent.

Does this happen often here when people cannot ski, wakeboard, surf? 8p

hoosier skier
11-14-2013, 10:17 PM
Toyota had a serious corrosion issue with the Tundra frames a few years ago that would render a 5 yr old truck worthless especially in Northern climates . They solved the rust issue by changing the type of steel that was used in the frames but currently are seeing cracking issues showing up with their frames .

willyt
11-15-2013, 11:22 AM
you guys are all nuts. honda kicks arse for towing

DHPRO
11-15-2013, 12:13 PM
Toyota had a serious corrosion issue with the Tundra frames a few years ago that would render a 5 yr old truck worthless especially in Northern climates . They solved the rust issue by changing the type of steel that was used in the frames but currently are seeing cracking issues showing up with their frames .

yup, they really dont like salt! Ive had persistant caliper siezing issues with my 2008 - at least they took care of me, but they insist I really shud stay away from snow and salt!

73blue
11-15-2013, 12:34 PM
LOUD NOISES!

jk. My dream is to one day be able to build a truck like one can an AR. Pick the parts you want from each manufacturer and bolt them on to the frame. For instance: A Cummins diesel with an allison trans under a dodge mega cab with a ford hood and a Chevy interior (just an example). I mean how hard would it be to make the main components universally interchangeable? Someone make it happen.

Ironhorse
11-15-2013, 02:05 PM
MOST of you are nuts. You can like more than one truck. I drive a 2011 Tundra Crewmax and love it. My buddy drives an F150 and I can honestly say that is is a great truck as well. As for all the bashing come on guys there's other forums for that and we can all find negatives about each truck with a quick google search. To the OP, my truck pulls great for a gas engine as well but is thirsty under load.

Cheers!

lashburn1
11-15-2013, 09:20 PM
MOST of you are nuts. You can like more than one truck. I drive a 2011 Tundra Crewmax and love it. My buddy drives an F150 and I can honestly say that is is a great truck as well. As for all the bashing come on guys there's other forums for that and we can all find negatives about each truck with a quick google search. To the OP, my truck pulls great for a gas engine as well but is thirsty under load.

Cheers!

I am the OP, and I agree...

I was just giving an informational post on a trip I took thru the Mountains with an 8200+ load...
Thought it would be nice for someone considering and X80....lol

My final thought was, don't do this with Trd cold air intake and Trd Dual CatBack exhaust ..
,,,, unless you have a very loud stereo

Cheers

FoggyNogginz
03-28-2014, 09:40 PM
I love lamp.....:confused:

Are you sure you love lamp, or are you just saying that?

Aric'sX15
03-28-2014, 11:19 PM
Where'd you get a hand grenade?

FoggyNogginz
03-29-2014, 12:40 AM
They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time. It's illegal in nine countries, and it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.

towjam
03-29-2014, 12:45 AM
I originally made the point that a Tundra would tow an X80 without difficulty based upon a real life towing experience of about 2500 miles cross country, towing slightly more than the rated load, due to an unavoidable circumstance. Its performance was flawless. It could have towed 1 ton more. I measured 9.8 mpg. I've done the same trip in the past with a 2003 Duramax 2500 (several times), and felt the Tundra performance, handling, and comfort was right up there. With diesel fuel prices about 20% higher than gasoline, I felt the Tundra presented a viable alternative to diesel for towing the largest boats that Mastercraft builds/built, 300 exempted, obviously. I was totally bashed as being unsafe, uneducated, and breaking laws (all untrue, I believe). The most vocal was a basher who later boasted about loading 3000 lbs of ballast into an X1, plus persons and presumably gear (about double the USCG posted capacity limit).
I'm not criticizing any other manufacturer: I love my Duramax, and I know the new Dodge tests out well. My only recent Ford experience was a 2008 F250 5.4 that was junk. But I'm not bashing any of the brands. I continue to voice my personal experience that the Tundra does not struggle with 5 tons behind it. Its an extremely capable truck. Plus, some of us think the Tundra is attractive. Maybe some of us think the F150 is ugly and boring. That's a personal opinion. Anyone's personal opinion. Not necessarily mine.

lashburn1
03-29-2014, 01:16 AM
Word !