PDA

View Full Version : 2005 X-Star Ballast Winterizing

lazyade
11-04-2013, 07:26 AM
Apologies if this has been answered 100's of times (but I can't find a definitive answer), but what's the process for winterizing the ballast tanks on my 2005 X-Star? I've read about two methods: 1) inserting an elbow connector into the ballast fill hose, just after the seacock and using the ballast pumps to pull through RV anti-freeze; and 2) pouring it in through each ballast tank's vent hole, with the ballast pump on empty so as to pull the anti-freeze through.

Which ones right! If no. 1 is right, how do you get an elbow to stay on the hose, and what size diameter tube would you use?

Thanks all in advance.

Adrian

Jerseydave
11-04-2013, 12:37 PM
I know most people use method #1 with success.

With empty tanks, I remove each outlet hose from each of the 3 pumps and pour pink RV anti-freeze into each pump while someone hits the switch.

lazyade
11-05-2013, 04:11 PM
I've read in the manual about fitting an elbow joint to the ballast fill main line (by the shut off seacock). You can then connect a small line to the elbow and place this line in your bottle of RV anti-freeze, turn each pump on in turn to fill and pumps will pull the mixture through to each tank. This all sounds logical but I don't see how you can secure an elbow to the incoming hose.

Has anyone fitted an elbow and a hose as described above, and can offer any more guidance?

EarlyriserX9
11-05-2013, 05:39 PM
Apologies if this has been answered 100's of times (but I can't find a definitive answer), but what's the process for winterizing the ballast tanks on my 2005 X-Star? I've read about two methods: 1) inserting an elbow connector into the ballast fill hose, just after the seacock and using the ballast pumps to pull through RV anti-freeze; and 2) pouring it in through each ballast tank's vent hole, with the ballast pump on empty so as to pull the anti-freeze through.

Which ones right! If no. 1 is right, how do you get an elbow to stay on the hose, and what size diameter tube would you use?

Thanks all in advance.

Adrian

I use method #2 and have never had an issue.

See attached