PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic Steering on x30

wallnut21
11-03-2013, 03:21 PM
Ordering a new X30. Was thinking about adding hydraulic steering. I know it's not really needed but is it worth the cost? Any maintenance? Negatives with adding it?

EarlyriserX9
11-03-2013, 07:23 PM
I think it makes the boat more difficult to maneuver in tight quarters. On the other hand, my last MC didn't have it, so when cruising you had to keep a hand on the wheel or it would turn right. Nice thing about having it is the wheel doesn't move unless you want it to move. If I had the choice, as you do, I would save your $$$. Just my opinion.

FourFourty
11-03-2013, 08:44 PM
For what it's worth, I will never own one without hydraulic steering ever again.

AZX45OD
11-04-2013, 01:05 AM
My 2013 X30 handles great and steers effortlessly without hydraulic steering. I did NOT have it on my X45 and regretted it, but the X30 is very nimble on the water and does not need it at all. And this is coming from someone (me) who whined and moaned all the time that my X45 was so hard to turn under power without hydraulic steering

AZX45OD
11-04-2013, 01:10 AM
FourFourty I am curious as to why you would "never order a boat without hydraulic steering". What are all of the other benefits? I can see how some of the older hulls-or deep hulls- that push more water (X45, X25 etc) need it. But the more nimble hulls like the X30, X10, etc are a different story from my experience. Not sure how the new X46 handles.

mcLove
11-04-2013, 01:34 AM
FourFourty I am curious as to why you would "never order a boat without hydraulic steering". What are all of the other benefits? I can see how some of the older hulls-or deep hulls- that push more water (X45, X25 etc) need it. But the more nimble hulls like the X30, X10, etc are a different story from my experience. Not sure how the new X46 handles.
I've heard it handles great without the hydraulic steering. Still not as great as a 10 or 30, but its not needed at all.

FourFourty
11-04-2013, 10:17 AM

It actually has nothing to do with handling for me. I get tired of wheel tug, especially while surfing. I like that I can just rest my hand on the bottom of the wheel, under any driving condition, and not feel the wheel fighting at all.....

lashburn1
11-04-2013, 10:57 AM
It actually has nothing to do with handling for me. I get tired of wheel tug, especially while surfing. I like that I can just rest my hand on the bottom of the wheel, under any driving condition, and not feel the wheel fighting at all.....

Good answer, my X30 is coming with it... And we had the same complaint with Surfing /Steering on our last boat...
Was not sure how good of a value it would be.. But I'm glad it's there now

CCAnderson
11-04-2013, 10:59 AM
The tug was added for a reason, to increase the responsiveness of the steering. If you want to get rid of wheel tug then grind the rudder back to a neutral feeling.

wallnut21
11-04-2013, 12:01 PM
Any maintenance? Do the new 2013/2014 have tilt steering with hydro steering?

FourFourty
11-04-2013, 12:09 PM
The tug was added for a reason, to increase the responsiveness of the steering. If you want to get rid of wheel tug then grind the rudder back to a neutral feeling.

Grinding the rudder will do nothing for the wheel tug while surfing or wakeboarding. I realize they do that on Ski boats, but that is not the case, here.

Any maintenance? Do the new 2013/2014 have tilt steering with hydro steering?

AFAIK All models have tilt steering with hydro, except the XStar, because of the interference with the pop-up screen.

Stefan
11-04-2013, 12:38 PM
Would NOT order hydraulic steering, actually the X-46 I test drove last week and considered buying has the hydraulic steering and the reason I will definitly not buy this actual boat is the hydraulic steering. The conventional cable steering in my X-15 works way better, easier, more precise and gives better feedback than the hydraulic steering, after fixing it my self that is (it had a very tight loop in the (excess) steering cable behind the dashboard) (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=55037).

wilhelmwake
11-04-2013, 12:50 PM
Absolutely go with hydro steering. It is so smooth and effortless to turn that I really would hate not to have it. I had a vlx that from my experience is one of the more nimble boats to turn and have to say that going back from cable steering to hydro was a blessing. No maintenance!

willyt
11-04-2013, 01:17 PM
so...
to summarize, all personal preference on how you want your boat to handle. I have hydro steering on my 07 star, and love it.