PDA

View Full Version : Forgot to fog

nickespi
11-03-2013, 01:40 PM
I winterized my 30 yesterday by myself for the first time. Unfortunately I forgot to fog the engine. I've already ran antifreeze into the system and I'm wondering if I am screwed.

CruisinGA
11-03-2013, 01:43 PM
I think fogging for a single winter storage is not really necessary. That said, I still do it.
If you decide you need to, just take out all sparkplugs, fog each cylinder, turn the engine over a few times with lanyard removed and reinstall plugs.

Jerseydave
11-03-2013, 02:11 PM
^ do this. If you have an MCX engine or any dry intake engine, this is the proper way to fog anyway.

pbgbottle
11-03-2013, 02:55 PM
I fog my boat every year fill tank put stabil in it etc

but just thought I would mention I have an old small block chev powered FJ40. That sits 10 months of the year for the past 6 years and I have never fogged it or put stabil in the fuel and it starts just fine every year
Doh!

maxpower220
11-03-2013, 04:56 PM
Just pull the plugs and fog. There is no need/reason to turn the engine over (especially using the starter), as the rings will wipe the cylinder walls clean.

Then replace plugs and you are set.

blackhawk
11-03-2013, 08:27 PM
^ do this. If you have an MCX engine or any dry intake engine, this is the proper way to fog anyway.

Jerseydave - The Indmar manual for my MCX 350 engine says to remove the air filter and spray 4-6 ounces of fogging oil through the inake opening. This is how I did it when I winterized a couple of weeks ago, seemed to work just fine. Just wondering if I am missing something? I went back through the manual and didn't see anything about fogging through the spark plug holes.

jakethebt
11-03-2013, 10:26 PM
I thought the MCX is a dry intake engine meaning the proper way to fog it is via pulling the plugs and spraying in each cylinder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

bturner2
11-04-2013, 07:35 AM
If it's an MCX it is. I was told and have read multiple times the correct way to do any multiport engine is through the spark plugs.

CantRepeat
11-04-2013, 08:03 AM
From Indmar's 5.7 winterization manual.

Remove the spark plugs and squirt one to two tablespoons of oil (SAE 10W or Marvel Mystery
Oil or Fogging Oil) into each of the cylinders through the spark plug holes. Engage the starter to
crank the engine over a revolution or two to distribute the oil on the cylinder walls. Replace the
spark plugs.

CruisinGA
11-04-2013, 08:25 AM
I feel so validated. ;)

JohnE
11-04-2013, 09:07 AM

Jerseydave - The Indmar manual for my MCX 350 engine says to remove the air filter and spray 4-6 ounces of fogging oil through the inake opening. This is how I did it when I winterized a couple of weeks ago, seemed to work just fine. Just wondering if I am missing something? I went back through the manual and didn't see anything about fogging through the spark plug holes.

My dealer told me to fog through the intake for winterizing. Most of you know him from his years here.

CantRepeat
11-04-2013, 09:47 AM
Given all the ambiguous reasons and moreover the lack of solid reasons as to why and what method to use while fogging I'd have to go with the manufacture of the motor.

Dry vs wet intakes
Cats vs no cats

No clearly defined reason as to either methods or equipment puts most of this up in the air as to why we do it they way we do it.

I have my own theories to support why I do it the way I do it but I generalize those theories based on what Indmar says is the "right" way to do it.

nickespi
11-04-2013, 10:18 AM
Sooo, long story short, I pulled the plugs and gave a spray to each cylinder. Good for the year and a half it will be in storage???

CantRepeat
11-04-2013, 10:39 AM
Sooo, long story short, I pulled the plugs and gave a spray to each cylinder. Good for the year and a half it will be in storage???

The hell?

blackhawk
11-04-2013, 12:17 PM
I emailed Indmar about the fogging procedure for my engine and they sent me the same winterization pdf that CantRepeat posted. I also called one of their "Platinum" service centers and the gentleman there also said to fog through the spark plug holes. He said that the problem with fogging through the intake is that the oil is not supposed to get onto the MAP or throttle position sensor. It could cause the sensors to not read properly. So, I get to worry about that all Winter. (On cars the MAP sensor is usually in the tube between the air filter and intake. Does the MCX even have a MAP sensor?)

The thing that makes me mad is that I pulled the engine manual from the Indmar website and it specifically lists the "MCX 350" as an engine that the manual applies to. Then it tells me to fog through the intake. I literally did things "by the book" and still got it wrong:mad:

I don't even see where the "winterize pdf" is even published on the Indmar website.

Jerseydave
11-04-2013, 12:31 PM

I was told this a long time ago by my buddy who has been a Nautique dealer for over 25 years. Something about an oily residue can build up over the years if you continue to fog a dry intake. I would also think getting fogging oil on any sensors like the MAP sensor would not be a good thing either.

Jerseydave
11-04-2013, 12:32 PM
From Indmar's 5.7 winterization manual.

Read page 2......it says remove spark plugs and fog that way.

CantRepeat
11-04-2013, 12:47 PM
I emailed Indmar about the fogging procedure for my engine and they sent me the same winterization pdf that CantRepeat posted. I also called one of their "Platinum" service centers and the gentleman there also said to fog through the spark plug holes. He said that the problem with fogging through the intake is that the oil is not supposed to get onto the MAP or throttle position sensor. It could cause the sensors to not read properly. So, I get to worry about that all Winter. (On cars the MAP sensor is usually in the tube between the air filter and intake. Does the MCX even have a MAP sensor?)

The thing that makes me mad is that I pulled the engine manual from the Indmar website and it specifically lists the "MCX 350" as an engine that the manual applies to. Then it tells me to fog through the intake. I literally did things "by the book" and still got it wrong:mad:

I don't even see where the "winterize pdf" is even published on the Indmar website.

There used to be anonymous FTP to the Indmar website, which is where I got the pdf from.

Read page 2......it says remove spark plugs and fog that way.

Yeah, that's what I posted.

nickespi
11-04-2013, 02:35 PM
The hell?

Work is allowing me about one summer home every two years right now. Lol This year was my summer home.

JohnE
11-05-2013, 10:31 AM

Don't worry about it. I'm not that knowledgeable, but I was told by one of the most knowledgeable engine guys here (MYMC who I bought 3 boats from - do some searches for his postings and you will get it) to fog through the intake. His lead mechanic at the time confirmed the same thing. After reading all this if I still had my boat with mcx I'd still fog through the intake.

kjohnson
12-05-2013, 12:30 PM
I forgot to do mine too. The storage season down in SC is omly about 3-4 months, so I am not going to worry about it. If you are storing for a longer period I might would.

HDAVIS
12-05-2013, 08:52 PM
I have a '96 PS 190. I have NEVER fogged it. I never will unless I have plans to not use the boat for a year or more. One of the best MC dealerships around this area never fogs. They do hundreds of boats a year.