PDA

View Full Version : Bow hook installation

andersonmc
11-02-2013, 09:27 PM
I had to take my bow hook off for boat repairs. My question is what is the best sealant to use and how should I apply it without getting it all over the threads? THanks

mikeg205
11-03-2013, 01:08 AM
3M 4300 if you want to make sure you can remove sometime in the future or 3M 5200 for a permanent adhesive sealant.

madcityskier
11-03-2013, 09:17 AM
Tape over threads, apply, remove tape, install.

andersonmc
11-03-2013, 12:11 PM
Only problem with taping threads is I don't think I could remove the tape once in. It was a pain in the a@#$ to get off. Hardly any room to get my hands up underneath. You think if I installed hook and left a little room to get sealant in and then pushed all the way in? Just want to make sure I have it sealed because I don't want to have to take it off again.

madcityskier
11-03-2013, 03:09 PM
Should be able to take the tape off before installing. Just put the sealant on the plate, remove the tape, slide threaded ends in and draw tight, remove excess sealant that pushes out around the plate.

CCAnderson
11-04-2013, 10:11 AM
Johnson's paste wax is awesome stuff for keeping adhesive from binding up threads on fasteners. I use in on my C-clamps to keep epoxy from turning them into paper weights. I believe any good paste wax should work. Coat the thread liberally making sure everything is coated well.

andersonmc
11-04-2013, 01:33 PM
Ok so you add the sealant to the plate then install. I'll tape the threads up and try it. Does the extra product just wipe off easily if it gets on the gelcoat or do I need to use something to remove it? Obviously when its still wet.

madcityskier
11-04-2013, 02:27 PM
Depends what product. Check instructions for cleanup on the tube. USUALLY, a rag with water or mineral spirits, but that can vary.