PDA

View Full Version : Engine upgrades

richardsoncd
10-26-2005, 10:44 AM
One of my buddies works on race cars as a hobby, and he told me if I wanted to get max performance out of my Stars and Stripes I should do a couple of things: one is put a bigger intake on it, two was to put new lifters on it, and I think the other was rockers. I have all the specifics written down at the house. My question to those who know is have you done anything like this to your engine and is it diffrent in a maranized engine. I know he knows cars, but boats can be a whole diffrent story. Thanks.

east tx skier
10-26-2005, 11:31 AM
I upgraded my intake to an edelbrock performer and have been a happy camper as a result. I got it from skidim, but it's not marine specific. My boat already had GT40 heads. If yours doesn't have the performance heads, i.e., GT40 or GT40p, that would be a great upgrade. I know they make marine cams, but not sure if you need one or not (I've heard both yea and nay on the subject). I beleive the gaskets are marine specific. On the intake, there is a breather hole (probably not the accurate name) that is a must.

So that is the vague English major had someone else install the upgrades and is very happy answer.

tommcat
10-26-2005, 02:02 PM
a "bigger" intake? what exactly does he mean by that.
what did he say to put lifters in for? there is no gain to be had from lifters.
i just did a 351 in my buddies brendella. we put an edelbrock performer intake, sea demon carb and full MSD marine ignition. it runs better than new and has noticeably more power from low to mid. i may be doing a cam over the winter, he is still undecided on that

JDK
10-26-2005, 02:39 PM
If you're looking for a big gain relatively cheap, read through this.
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=4742&highlight=heads

Workin' 4 Toys
10-26-2005, 03:32 PM
Is he suggesting roller rockers? And solid lifters?

richardsoncd
10-26-2005, 04:21 PM
Is he suggesting roller rockers? And solid lifters?
Yes and as for a bigger intake, he said a higher performance intake. He gave me the specifics on the roller rockers and lifters.

east tx skier
10-26-2005, 04:28 PM
Probably meant a "high rise/dual plane" intake manifold.

Edelbrock Performer, Performer RPM, (and there's another one the name of which escapes me) are all possibilities. Pretty inexpensive upgrade. Combined with the GT40 heads, it brings a smile to my face.

richardsoncd
10-26-2005, 06:05 PM
Probably meant a "high rise/dual plane" intake manifold.

Edelbrock Performer, Performer RPM, (and there's another one the name of which escapes me) are all possibilities. Pretty inexpensive upgrade. Combined with the GT40 heads, it brings a smile to my face.

He recommended the performer RPM. Good to hear, looks like I found my "engine winter project" or at least one more thing to add to my winter project list!!!

east tx skier
10-26-2005, 06:18 PM
I went with the performer and have been thrilled. I was made to understand that one (the performer) was more of a torque boost, while the other (performer rpm) was a horsepower boost. Could be wrong. Either way, I read recommendations for the performer rpm as well. That said, I've been thrilled with the plain old performer.

tommcat
10-26-2005, 06:39 PM
the lifters will not do you any good, i dont know why anyone would suggest them.
as far as the intakes go i would recommend the performer, not the performer RPM. the RPMs recommended range is 1500-6500 rpms, the performer intake range is idle-5500 rpms which is where your boats engine will be used. one step up is edelbrocks new performer EPS intake, a small gain even over the performer. should cost about 130 bucks.

east tx skier
10-26-2005, 06:42 PM
I'd hit the salvage yards and look for a pair of GT40p heads (or heck, the old GT40 heads are doing me fine). Very nice combo with the edelbrock intake.

wetback
10-26-2005, 09:01 PM
I was just looking on Ebay Motors, there is GT40 heads complete, for $400, and GT40P heads(new) need valves and such, for $300. They do not manufacture the GT40P heads any longer so get them while they're hot.
Now you guys got me wanting to upgrade my 91' engine, but seeing how I just got it I'll try to hold off till next year.

6ballsisall
10-26-2005, 09:21 PM
thats an interesting username their WB. Definetely not one I'd go touting around Denver or most of Colorado in general :eek:

Workin' 4 Toys
10-27-2005, 12:05 AM
thats an interesting username their WB. Definetely not one I'd go touting around Denver or most of Colorado in general :eek:
Thats one I wouldn't think would be allowed. And certainly won't make the calendar...

bigmac
10-27-2005, 01:05 PM
Thats one I wouldn't think would be allowed. And certainly won't make the calendar...

I confess that I PM'ed TMC about the name the other day, but he has apparently elected to do nothing about it. That disappoints me a little because the name actually offends me somewhat, as do all racial epithets.

IMHO. YMMV.

wetback
10-28-2005, 02:04 PM
Woops! Looks like I picked the wrong user name. I had intended the meaning to be "Wet behind the ears" (Newbie), since this is my first Mastercraft. Also since I am back from a 10 year hiatus from skiing, I'm spending most of my time on my back in the water. Hence, put the two together and I got "wetback". Unfortunately this word has another meaning, of which I was a little ignorant of. I did not mean to offend anyone, sorry if I did. I will have it changed.
I apologize to Bigmac, I guess I am a little behind the times on the meaning of some words and their racial undertones.

Mick
11-04-2005, 10:44 AM
tommcat,
I'm looking to do the same thing as your buddies Brendella. I've got a 93 PS190, Indmar 285 H.O.. Stock for now with the P.O.S. Holley 4010. I couldn't find the Edelbrock Performer EPS for a 351W anywhere, seems to be only for small block Chevies. How did you find the port matching for Edelbrock Performer to GT-40 heads?
Is there a big gain from the Barry Grant Carb vs a Holley 4160? Any problems with the Perfect Pass software or linkage? (I've got Dig Pro V6.3) Thanks.

tommcat
11-04-2005, 10:58 AM
tommcat,
I'm looking to do the same thing as your buddies Brendella. I've got a 93 PS190, Indmar 285 H.O.. Stock for now with the P.O.S. Holley 4010. I couldn't find the Edelbrock Performer EPS for a 351W anywhere, seems to be only for small block Chevies. How did you find the port matching for Edelbrock Performer to GT-40 heads?
Is there a big gain from the Barry Grant Carb vs a Holley 4160? Any problems with the Perfect Pass software or linkage? (I've got Dig Pro V6.3) Thanks.
I matched up the ports on the intake a little but probably made no gains as it was only a small amount.
just go with the performer intake then, wasnt sure on the EPS.
huge gains from the demon carbs. they run so smooth it's unreal and noticeable power gains. i run a mighty demon on my chevelle and just dropping it on with no tuning it outperformed my dialed in holley in every way. i cant say enough good things about barry grant carbs.
his does not have PP as of yet but there should be no problems since the linkage on the carb has room for a number of extra linkages.

Mick
11-04-2005, 11:05 AM
Tomcat,
I'm assuming the Brendella had GT-40 heads? How much tuning was required on the Sea Demon 650 from when it came out of the box? Did you use any spacers (it looks like the stock setup has a 1 inch spacer with a PCV input). What did you do with the PCV input?

tommcat
11-04-2005, 11:32 AM
It has GT40 heads but i dont know if they were factory or not.
the only tuning that will be required( i havent finished yet) is it is a little rich right off idle so i will be changing the air bleeds in it. i also went up 2 main jet sizes from the way it came. it was lean out of the box.
I really like the MSD ignition on it too, but then again i'm a die hard MSD guy.
we picked up a 1 inch spacer from summit that had a fitting in it for the PCV.

Mick
11-04-2005, 11:44 AM
Hate to keep bugging you, do you remember what were the original jet sizes, or what you have in there now?
I'm really not looking to turn this into a drag boat, I'm just tired of getting "throttled" at the buoy because the old Holley 4010 can't keep up with the Perfect Pass inputs

Mick
11-04-2005, 11:52 AM
East Tx,

Did you have your Edelbrock Performer intake ported to match your GT-40 heads?

tommcat
11-04-2005, 11:55 AM
Hate to keep bugging you, do you remember what were the original jet sizes, or what you have in there now?
I'm really not looking to turn this into a drag boat, I'm just tired of getting "throttled" at the buoy because the old Holley 4010 can't keep up with the Perfect Pass inputs
took out 72s and put in 74s. seems to be the right combo most of the time. also put a lighter spring in the vacuum secondary diaphragm.

Mick
11-04-2005, 12:04 PM
thanks, hopefully when next season rolls around i'll have a boat worth using on the course again!

tommcat
11-04-2005, 12:15 PM
thanks, hopefully when next season rolls around i'll have a boat worth using on the course again!no problem. feel free to ask if you have any more questions about it.
i think i'm putting a cam in this winter, i'll let you know how that goes.

Mick
11-04-2005, 12:33 PM
Which vaccuum spring did you go with?

tommcat
11-04-2005, 12:52 PM
i used the lightest spring available for the earliest opening point of the secondary. i think it was a white color spring but dont hold me to that.

east tx skier
11-04-2005, 12:56 PM
East Tx,

Did you have your Edelbrock Performer intake ported to match your GT-40 heads?

No. Just had it bolted on with fresh marine gaskets. I did consider having my cylinders shaved, but opted against it.

Remember, after the intake install, everything will be up a little higher. If anyone has a 91 or newer motorbox, you will probably need a low-profile flame arrestor because you will likely be out of room under the box. Also, keep an eye on your throttle cable. I had to get a new mounting bracket for mine to keep it level as it was binding up after the new intake install. Sort of annoying to have your engine hang at 1,200 rpms every time you bring it back to idle.

88 PS190
11-04-2005, 01:42 PM
cylinders shave? meaning the head or block being decked?
In my opinion high compression is not really the friend of the marine environment.

Also i've heard that the GT-40 are a fair bit constricting why don't people pick up a set of heads and cams that more closely match the flow of the performance intakes? I know edelbrock tunes there intakes to specific applications.

Mick
11-04-2005, 02:27 PM
Does the Sea Demon have a vacuum port in the base plate for the PCV? the BG website shows the manual for the Speed Demon with one, but they don't have a pic of the Sea Demon.

tommcat
11-04-2005, 02:33 PM
Cant remember if the carb had a port or not. the spacer had one so we used it.

east tx skier
11-04-2005, 03:27 PM
cylinders shave? meaning the head or block being decked?
In my opinion high compression is not really the friend of the marine environment.

Also i've heard that the GT-40 are a fair bit constricting why don't people pick up a set of heads and cams that more closely match the flow of the performance intakes? I know edelbrock tunes there intakes to specific applications.

Current ration is 8.5:1. Thought I might go up to 9:5.1. Nothing drastic.

JDK
11-04-2005, 09:35 PM

You're got me stumped with this one.
Seems to me, the more efficiently you make your engine run, the friendlier it is to everyone's environment.

88 PS190
11-04-2005, 09:41 PM
high compression engines are not really any more efficient than a properly tuned lower compression engine. just allow higher hp w/ more fuel burn.