PDA

View Full Version : From design-a-boat to build-a-boat: 2014 X-14V

rtw_travel
11-01-2013, 12:33 PM
Our 2014 is now in production and I'm pretty excited. We only ordered it in September. Given that we're just settling into winter here, no one around me is that interested in a boat, but I'm bursting to tell someone... so I thought I would share on teamtalk.

Max, the Customer Service Coordinator at MC, is very kindly taking pictures of my boat as it progresses through the line.

They expect my boat to be finished around Nov 12. The gel colour will be sprayed on Monday and I'll post more pictures as I receive them, just so we can all build my boat together.

If anyone has questions on the build process, I can ask Max, or perhaps get him to come online and answer them. I've learned so far that each mold can be used for about 1000 boats, although there's significant reconditioning, buffing and polishing on the molds through their life to keep the boats they produce perfect. So I suspect the molds you're seeing here are the ones that made the first x-14V back in 2009. The gel colour will be 0.24mm thick. Each different colour is taped and sprayed separately - with extra care being paid to the metal flake to keep a consistent balance of flake through the surface.

Enjoy... Here is pre-day 1. This is the design a boat view, followed by two pictures of the actual molds for the X-14V. I'm not sure what boat is following me down the line but it looks like a pickle fork bow. Our boat is a mixture of gunmetal flake with black and white. The colours don't really come out that well in the design-a-boat picture so I look forward to seeing the finished product.

Specter
11-01-2013, 01:08 PM
You must be beside yourself, I know I would. Congrats!

I'm headed to the plant next Wednesday so I will look for it.

mramerman@gmail.com
11-01-2013, 01:24 PM
Congrats man and welcome to the x14v family! It is a good one.

JohnE
11-01-2013, 01:42 PM
Congrats. I remember going through the same thing back in 08 and 09 with my X14DD's.

rtw_travel
11-01-2013, 02:15 PM
I'm headed to the plant next Wednesday so I will look for it.

Please take a picture if you get a chance! Ideally one with people working on it, because I think Max will only send me the end of day pics.

gsxrjtt
11-01-2013, 02:17 PM
so cool keep the pics coming always neat to see one being built

Specter
11-01-2013, 02:20 PM
Please take a picture if you get a chance! Ideally one with people working on it, because I think Max will only send me the end of day pics.

Will do my best.

h2oskiluvr
11-01-2013, 07:56 PM
I love my x14v that I got this last summer. Enjoy your new ride!

rtw_travel
11-04-2013, 11:04 AM
Gelcoat application

You can see the white gel coat is now on. Remember they are building it from the outside in, so the first to be sprayed inside the mold is the exterior gel coat.

If you refer back to the design-a-boat drawing, you can see the hull bottom is white, and there are two white stripes on each side of the boat. You can see they've done the white coat, and there is tape & paper masking everywhere else. Apparently each gel has its own spray nozzle, so the boat stays in this one booth for each of the three colours that I've picked to be sprayed on the hull. In the hull picture, the tech is measuring the thickness of the gel on one of the strips.

rtw_travel
11-05-2013, 11:36 AM
Next step => Fibreglass.

Remember we're building from the outside in. The gel colour we saw yesterday is now covered with fibreglass. You'll see they've added some pink bars to the top deck - these are sound deadeners and backing for things like the carpet snaps.

There is also a third mold in the bottom picture - the stringer. The piece off this mold will fit between the hull and top deck, and adds strength to the boat. No wooden stringers here!

AlbertaSurfer
11-05-2013, 11:39 AM
Very cool, it's like a private tour

scott023
11-05-2013, 11:42 AM
Very cool, it's like a private tour

No kidding. That's fantastic that you're getting so many shots of it, I'm quite sure that there aren't many that get that treatment.

rtw_travel
11-05-2013, 12:28 PM
Max, the Customer Service Rep has been fantastic at taking pictures and answering all my many questions. I got his contact info from SchuyHigh, and independantly from my local MC dealer too. You may remember Schuyhigh posted pics of his finished MC on teamtalk a few weeks ago.

I suspect anyone having a boat built would get these pictures if they asked for them. Given that I won't make it to Vonore, they are the next best thing.

rtw_travel
11-06-2013, 01:40 PM
The shells have been released from the molds, extra bits ground off, and then put together. You can see they've already drilled and cut the holes for the various hull penetrations.

Max says its still dusty from the drilling/ grinding. Specter - I think you're visiting the factory today: would you mind just giving my boat a quick wipe down? It would satisfy my MCOCD. :-)

It's interesting to see the hull without all the paraphenalia that makes it an "X" series: you can certainly see the prostar 190 pedigree, but at 21'4", it's just longer.

I didn't realize the the metalflake would extend up onto the transom. We thought it was just a small accent from the bow and running down to the waterline on the sides. It looks way better than design a boat!

SchuyHigh
11-06-2013, 02:09 PM
TOO KOOL!! MC is represented well by Max!

Hammer
11-06-2013, 07:21 PM
That is just awesome seeing it from virtual to reality. Thanks for sharing.

rtw_travel
11-07-2013, 04:43 PM
It's in QA now, where they clean and inspect the hull. Big day Monday with the start of installation of all the 'stuff'.

There's a few more holes here than I was expecting to see. In particular, it looks like extra speakers holes next to the existing rear speakers? I'm not sure what the oval holes are for in the front.

cdstukey
11-07-2013, 06:22 PM
There's a few more holes here than I was expecting to see. In particular, it looks like extra speakers holes next to the existing rear speakers? I'm not sure what the oval holes are for in the front.

Installation access holes. You know, for getting to the back sides of grab rails and tower legs and stuff.
Looks nice.

jgraham37128
11-07-2013, 06:26 PM
Or it could be a place for an extra set of 6X9's. They are making the come back!

lashburn1
11-07-2013, 06:28 PM
Coming along nicely

bsettle1
11-08-2013, 09:17 AM
Very cool - and people wonder why we get emotional about this stuff

rtw_travel
11-12-2013, 10:41 AM
Monday was a busy day - almost everything was installed in one day. I can't believe how much was done.

There's a couple of surprising things... You can see in the first shot that the deck and hull are still split apart on my boat - I think this may be the photo of them coming together.

You can also see in the next few pictures that the boat is off the bunks and being supported by spreaders connecting to something on the hull around the front seats and in the engine compartment. Apparently there are reinforcements in the mold for this, and they use some special hooks... I'll have to look for the spots when I get the boat.

Look at the prostar skeleton behind my boat - the build process is similar. Apparently all boats have the helm installed before the boat halves are mated together.

That shifter reminds me of the hurst shifter that was in one of Dad's cars many years ago.

You can see we chose the BTS windshield. I got it because it is easier to talk to the skier/boarder from teh driver's seat when you are turning around before a start or after a fall... but I have to say it also looks pretty cool.

Today - tower, decals and water test. If they have an extra decal, maybe they can tuck it into the slalom locker for me!

Aric'sX15
11-12-2013, 10:47 AM
What a gorgeous color combination! I love it I bet you are dying with anticipation!

rtw_travel
11-12-2013, 11:07 AM
Yes, the hard part will be waiting until next summer before I get to use it!

Hammer
11-12-2013, 05:37 PM
Looking great!

Looks like a ProStar behind yours on the line.

rtw_travel
11-12-2013, 06:35 PM
It must be 'Black Boat' day! Weird - all the other boats I've seen in the pics have been red and white.

ZFT4 tower and decals are now on. Yup, its now officially a MasterCraft. I like the chrome satin MC logo on the side - there's a bit of depth to them rather than just being a decal. Hopefully the fender won't break them. And no, I did not order a blue trailer to go with a black boat! I ordered a tandem trailer, so that blue one must just be the shop trailer.

They did the lake test today. No word, but I assume it 'passed'. Tomorrow they run a diagnostic and then clean and prepare the boat for transportation.

Assuming the diagnostics work out, then the construction is done. 4 or 5 days to do the glass and gelcoat, and then two amazing days to do everything else. I think I just have the typical vanity picture to come tomorrow or the next day which I will post to close out this thread. You know the one I mean: cleaned up and under the bright lights so it looks all sparkly.

Is that the zero-off on the left side of the dash under the knobs? You might have to look at my previous post to see it better. I had a small & empty cubbyhole there on my '12.

Tony Webb
11-12-2013, 11:33 PM
I think you might have to order another boat, I have enjoyed getting the updates and they have built it so quickly. I went to the Malibu factory in Albury Australia and when they are really under the pump they only produce 6 boats a week. I would love to know how many this factory for Mastercraft can produce a week....
Congrats on the new boat looks great...
Once my kids get a bit older I want one of these!

JohnE
11-13-2013, 09:03 AM
Great boat! The shop trailers there are hideous. They have at least one ugly green one that I've seen a lot boats on.

wakecumberland
11-13-2013, 09:23 AM
Beautiful boat! Thanks for all the pics, makes it more fun for all of us :)

BTW, what's up with those exhaust tips?! They look really long!

scottsx2
11-13-2013, 06:50 PM
Beautiful boat! Thanks for all the pics, makes it more fun for all of us :)

BTW, what's up with those exhaust tips?! They look really long!

This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

rtw_travel
11-14-2013, 11:18 AM
Here's the last of the set, including the original design-a-boat view. We were going for a slightly subdued metalflake look that would pop out occasionally in the sun, and we're very pleased with how it turned out. The sunlight shows the gray better if you look at the picture of the boat just out of the mold a few pages ago.

You can see the design -a-boat was quite realistic and matches a cloudy day or indoor lighting. The one noticable change between the images is the darker BTS windshield on DAB -I like the look and may consider tinting the windshield slightly when I get the boat.

I'm not sure where our trailer is, but that is the complete boat. It is the stock '14 X-14V plus heater, ZFT4 tower, teak platform, high power stereo, boat cover, bimini, & pop-up cleats. I'll be adding another set of phender pro fender clips next summer.

The neighbours will still speak to us because we don't have tower speakers. The next owner of our boat, whenever we decide to sell, is free to do his own aftermarket stereo upgrades.

I went old school with the teak platform, where once again I will become one with sandpaper and starbrite teak oil. We went with gray seat cushions rather than the white on my current boat, and I think my wife secretly hopes I will be less anal about cleaning them as it won't show dirt as easily. And while I love the look of painted trailers, I went galvanized because I hate the look of a painted trailer gone rusty after a few years. I did not select galvanized wheels, but went with the black aluminum instead, to at least offset the drabness of the trailer.

Now I've only got 229 days until I pick up the boat! oh wait a minute... 229 days...that's a long time

...and I forgot to mention, Max is happy to take pictures of any of your factory orders. Contact your local dealer and they can arrange it through their customer service channels. As a backup, feel free to contact me via pm for his email.

AlbertaSurfer
11-27-2013, 02:12 AM
Sharp looking boat. If you decide to tint, don't over do it. The black looks good in the design a boat image, but I really regret goin that dark this past summer. It's annoying to see through, as much as I never wanted to admit it was.

Enjoy the new sled, it looks awesome!

JohnE
11-27-2013, 08:37 AM
That boat looks great. Congrats. I'd be losing my mind for the next 216 days!

skitilldark
11-27-2013, 10:21 AM
That boat looks great. Congrats. I'd be losing my mind for the next 216 days!

Me too johne...don't see how he does it.

DHPRO
11-28-2013, 09:11 AM
Wow cool color choices. I went with similar interior color choices except my deck is black, and I got the decadence floor covering. My boat is just black and metal flake...yes I am worried it'll be a little warm, but it was just too cool lookin! Was just up in Fort Mac last week for few days...boating sure felt a long way off!

rtw_travel
11-29-2013, 10:35 AM
Nice looking boat... Now that I've ordered a black boat, I'm surprized by the number of black MC's out there. I thought we were being original!

Thanks everyone for all your comments back to the start of the thread. I've tried to limit my responses just to keep the thread length down. So yes, I'll carefully consider tint shade, if I tint at all. I just want to use the boat for the first summer and then make some decisions after.

I forgot to ask Max, but I suspect the factory production capacity is in the range of 60-100 boats per week. Anyone know for sure?

And I take some consolation that while I have 215 days to wait, so do we all, except for deep south and the southern hemisphere owners. On the bright side, I'm all set for another season of backcountry skiing. :-)

rtw_travel
06-27-2014, 01:42 PM
Now I've only got 229 days until I pick up the boat! oh wait a minute... 229 days...that's a long time

....8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, ....
For those of you counting along at home, I pick up the boat tomorrow! That really was a long time.

JohnE
06-27-2014, 03:44 PM
Wow cool color choices. I went with similar interior color choices except my deck is black, and I got the decadence floor covering. My boat is just black and metal flake...yes I am worried it'll be a little warm, but it was just too cool lookin! Was just up in Fort Mac last week for few days...boating sure felt a long way off!

I love it. I had an all black with silverflake 197. Missed this post 6 months ago....

JohnE
06-27-2014, 03:44 PM
....8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, ....
For those of you counting along at home, I pick up the boat tomorrow! That really was a long time.

It flew by for me...:D

Congrats!

Tony Webb
06-27-2014, 06:19 PM
We need a photo of it's first run

mramerman@gmail.com
06-27-2014, 07:27 PM
As a fellow x14v owner, welcome to the club! Very anxious to see your boat after delivery. It is gorgeous. Very bias towards dark hulls.

Mossyrocks
06-29-2014, 10:01 PM
Thats my 46 next to yours!!!

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f35/mossyrocks/1D5968D7-A881-4553-BAF0-3D4D892F1785.jpg (http://s44.photobucket.com/user/mossyrocks/media/1D5968D7-A881-4553-BAF0-3D4D892F1785.jpg.html)

rtw_travel
07-01-2014, 07:12 AM
Thats my 46 next to yours!!!

Yours was built in November '13?
PM me if you want the original pic in high resolution.

...and I'll post pics of my boat in the x-14 thread when I return home next week.