PDA

View Full Version : Mussel fee sticker?? Wth?

walterlaughlin
10-31-2013, 09:56 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/01/4ava5u9y.jpg

Someone tell me I don't have to put this ugly *** sticker on my boat

thatsmrmastercraft
10-31-2013, 09:58 PM
It would look fine on this boat.

http://www.myperdido.com/.a/6a00e393350c7188340120a4c998bd970b-800wi

scott023
10-31-2013, 10:33 PM
I had to get something similar to that when I my boat down to Idaho.

88 PS190
10-31-2013, 11:06 PM
Fund raiser to grant monies to fighting invasive zebra mussels.

Burdhntr
10-31-2013, 11:37 PM
Mussel fee?! Do you buy one and get an inspection every time you pull the boat out?! Ridiculous! Just taking more money in taxes. I'm all for fighting/preventing invasive species, but to be charged to do what you're supposed to?! Money grab!!!

lashburn1
11-01-2013, 12:17 AM

Down to Idaho? That's 1400 miles north of me.
My new X30 is there...lol

scott023
11-01-2013, 12:45 AM
Down to Idaho? That's 1400 miles north of me.
My new X30 is there...lol

Lol, I'm in Canada. We're aways apart.

lashburn1
11-01-2013, 01:11 AM
Lol, I'm in Canada. We're aways apart.

I may have to wait until spring to tow it back to San Diego . ... Worried about ice and snow up there.. :(

bsloop
11-01-2013, 03:42 AM
Nice. Why not just incorporate it into general registration? I see you only need it for a fresh water launch not salt.
Looks like more bureaucracy than its worth but I guess that's like saying "Welcome to Kalifornia"

I just reupped my car tag in KS. They are making a big deal of reducing property taxes but the line item fees keep growing in number and amount
$4.00 DMV modernization fee
$5.00 County Service fee
$2.00 Satellite fee
Call them what they are taxes! Be big boys and give them a budget line item not a receipt line item.

JimN
11-01-2013, 09:14 AM
Nice. Why not just incorporate it into general registration? I see you only need it for a fresh water launch not salt.
Looks like more bureaucracy than its worth but I guess that's like saying "Welcome to Kalifornia"

I just reupped my car tag in KS. They are making a big deal of reducing property taxes but the line item fees keep growing in number and amount
$4.00 DMV modernization fee
$5.00 County Service fee
$2.00 Satellite fee
Call them what they are taxes! Be big boys and give them a budget line item not a receipt line item.

They always use added fees to trot out their "No new taxes!" BS. My water bill has gone from about $60/quarter to $165/quarter and water use in my house is very low. In fact, I went to City Hall to ask about the increase and the woman was surprised by how little is used. The water use has had absolutely nothing to do with the increase and they keep adding lines to the bill. Our water treatment plant is separate from Milwaukee's, yet we pay something to MKE for treatment, which is just pure BS.

OTOH, the goal of the Governor who was the target of a recall election a couple of years ago (and survived) just enacted a $100M property tax cut- it comes to about $13 the first year and $20 the second and I think I'm going to take mine in singles, throw it on my bed and roll around in it. :rolleyes:

swatguy
11-01-2013, 10:24 AM
Once they institute a fee it's over. We are 2nd to Dertroit as a major city and I believe we passed up Cali Sate wise as being the most broke City and State in the Nation. We have the highest tax rates and fees in the nation.

Bottled water tax
Candy tax
Entertainment tax
Now they are trying to make people register their bicycles that ride them in public
Our city sticker fees have quadrupled just like our water bills.
Our property tax rates are going up the max again
They wanted to add a tube tax. Yes that's right a tube tax do the tube behind your boat. It made it to print but was rescinded.

As all these get higher the city and state claim to be more broke. I bet 1% of that sticker fee actually goes to research. The rest goes in their pockets to spend at will. Show me an upside down red city or state.........yet we're the problem. Detroit is a fine example of what a democrat run city and state will turn in to.

JimN
11-01-2013, 10:58 AM
Once they institute a fee it's over. We are 2nd to Dertroit as a major city and I believe we passed up Cali Sate wise as being the most broke City and State in the Nation. We have the highest tax rates and fees in the nation.

Bottled water tax
Candy tax
Entertainment tax
Now they are trying to make people register their bicycles that ride them in public
They wanted to add a tube tax. Yes that's right a tube tax do the tube behind your boat. It made it to print but was rescinded.

As all these get higher the city and state claim to be more broke. I bet 1% of that sticker fee actually goes to research. The rest goes in their pockets to spend at will. Show me an upside down red city or state.........yet we're the problem. Detroit is a fine example of what a democrat run city and state will turn in to.

They're just starting to register bicycles now? Milwaukee has had that for decades! They say it's so stolen bikes will be easier to find. Tell that to the kid from just outside of MKE who lost four bikes between '68 and '80 (that would be me, BTW). They found parts of one and got the third one back, but the first thing to go is the license when something is stolen.

When they collect more, they never try to save for the future- they just find more ways to spend what they get and they just never learn.

Dylan
11-01-2013, 12:14 PM
Got mine yesterday too, and thought the exact same thing! If you look on the back, you will indeed see that it needs to be right next to the registration sticker, unless you're using it in "marine waters" only.

rgardjr1
11-01-2013, 02:57 PM

Idaho has incorporated the invasive species stickers into the registration tag now. Unfortunately for visitors there is a separate tag-you are also suppose to buy one of these tags for your kayaks and canoes as well (water vehicles that don't require an annual registration).

I may have to wait until spring to tow it back to San Diego . ... Worried about ice and snow up there.. :(

Too funny my boat started out in San Diego and got relocated to North Idaho. Looks like we're supposed to get some snow this weekend.

JohnE
11-01-2013, 03:02 PM
Maine has a similar sticker with fee for invasive plants. Just as ugly but a tad smaller.

JMann
11-01-2013, 04:54 PM
Where did you get the sticker? I haven't seen them. I know that if you launch at San Pablo Dam or Tahoe and I'm sure others you need to pay a fee and they inspect your boat inspected for mussel's before they will let you launch. But I haven't heard anything about putting a sticker on.

Dylan
11-01-2013, 05:01 PM
Where did you get the sticker? I haven't seen them. I know that if you launch at San Pablo Dam or Tahoe and I'm sure others you need to pay a fee and they inspect your boat inspected for mussel's before they will let you launch. But I haven't heard anything about putting a sticker on.

Your 2015 registration renewal has it

wheelerlake
11-02-2013, 12:03 PM
Added "fees" have been removed from the tax bill and redistributed to others (our "hydrant fee") so they're not included in the tax deductions we get when we itemize. Our boat never goes anywhere other than our lake. I doubt very much if a sticker would get people to remember to clean off/out their trailers/boats when they come in from Green Bay, the Fox River or other invasive species loaded lakes. When we bought a lift from a guy on the Fox River he stated, "there aren't any zebra mussels in this area". The lift was loaded with them! We did everything possible to sterilize that thing before we put it in our lake! What's in YOUR live wells when you come onto our lake for that bass tourney? I just cringe.

Quinten
11-02-2013, 03:02 PM
Why is the zebra mussel so dangerous for you guys? In the netherlands they juse it to filter the water.

JimN
11-02-2013, 03:34 PM
Why is the zebra mussel so dangerous for you guys? In the netherlands they juse it to filter the water.

They do a great job of filtering water, but that brings another problem- sunlight reaches depths that it usually wouldn't, which promotes weed growth. This growth causes problems with spillways, raw water intake for electric power plants and other industrial users, the dead mussels encrust everything and when a native fish has an almost unlimited supply of a new, favorite food, that specie has a population explosion and the "natural" balance is drastically changed. Once the new food source is eaten and dies off (assuming it can't outpace attrition), the overpopulation of fish that had been feeding on them turns on other species and once in a closed water system, it can mean the extermination of some of the more beneficial species.

Quinten
11-03-2013, 05:36 AM
They do a great job of filtering water, but that brings another problem- sunlight reaches depths that it usually wouldn't, which promotes weed growth. This growth causes problems with spillways, raw water intake for electric power plants and other industrial users, the dead mussels encrust everything and when a native fish has an almost unlimited supply of a new, favorite food, that specie has a population explosion and the "natural" balance is drastically changed. Once the new food source is eaten and dies off (assuming it can't outpace attrition), the overpopulation of fish that had been feeding on them turns on other species and once in a closed water system, it can mean the extermination of some of the more beneficial species.

Ok that make sense. But there are fish that eat weed, so that might be the other solution.
Or just the animy of the zebra mussels dropping in the water. So it stace balanced.

JimN
11-03-2013, 11:18 AM
Ok that make sense. But there are fish that eat weed, so that might be the other solution.
Or just the animy of the zebra mussels dropping in the water. So it stace balanced.

The balance is far from normal. It's great to have water that's so clear the bottom can be seen from 20', but that's only good for people, so they can feel good about going into clear water. A healthy water system's needs are very different and it always finds its own balance but that assumes there's no outside influence. This is no different from someone catching bait in one lake or river with its own species of fish and going to another body of water to fish (also with its own species), then dumping their bait into that water. It has introduced a foreign specie and it's possible that the new specie will be destructive, in some way. Once a new food source comes in, the predator's numbers increase and when the new source is eliminated, that predator goes after the native population. It becomes an imbalanced population and if its numbers grow to a sufficient level, it no longer has enough food and large die-offs can happen. The rotting fish can kill off much of the rest of the other water creatures and then, the lake needs a lot of time to recover. In the 1950s-1980s, the Alewife population swelled because they bypassed Niagara Falls. Their numbers exploded because the Lake Trout population had dwindled became of the commercial fishing industry and this caused the loss of many other species because the Alewife became a predator and also because they were competing for the same foods and the native species. The introduction of the Coho, and later the Chinook Salmon, led to the reduction of this invasive specie, as well as the sport fishing industry. Huge numbers of Alewives would die off and wash up on the lake shores, in connecting rivers and caused incredibly bad smells, pollution and a drastic increase in the population of Sea gulls, Terns and other birds that we still call 'Rats with wings'. These birds cause their own problems and their droppings have been cited as the cause of odors at the lake front in Milwaukee and other places that can only be equated to cow dung. It adds to the problem of having clean water for human consumption when the droppings are in the water drawn for this use.

The effects of one new invasive specie aren't just as simple as bringing a new predator, they increase exponentially.

BrooksfamX2
11-03-2013, 12:20 PM
They also attach to everything. It only take a few days for them to start attaching to boats. They get all over the drives and plug up the intakes also. You don't want them in your lake or river.

thatsmrmastercraft
11-03-2013, 12:27 PM
While there is no argument that no one wants zebra mussels, they did do a darn good job of cleaning a terribly polluted lake Erie and turn it into a heck of a fishery. Certainly the exception to the rule.

scott023
11-03-2013, 11:03 PM
They also attach to everything. It only take a few days for them to start attaching to boats. They get all over the drives and plug up the intakes also. You don't want them in your lake or river.

That sounds like a real PITA.

hkyplyr31
11-05-2013, 12:22 AM

Bottled water tax
Candy tax
Entertainment tax

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_taxation_and_spending_by_state

Traxx822
11-05-2013, 08:56 AM
Swat is right. Chicago is bad. Nuke em. All the blue states, just nuke em. Haha just kidding just kidding.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk