PDA

View Full Version : Winterization: Shrink Wrap Worth It?

sackerman
10-30-2013, 04:24 PM
Looking for some guidance. I own a 2009 M/C MS215. I keep the boat in a covered lift at Lake Anna, VA. In past years, I would take the boat out of the water, winterize (M/C dealer), shrink wrap it, and store it outside. The dealer that I used to use is now out of business so I'm reconsidering the approach. Question: Is shrink wrapping worth it? There's a marina that will winterize the boat in the lift and I could keep it there all winter. Or, is it better/safer/smarter to shrink wrap and trailer it for the winter. Appreciate the input!

jgraham37128
10-30-2013, 06:54 PM
i'm not a big fan of shrink wrap. I do know its the only option for some and it for sure will keep it dry. I think i would rather leave it on the lift rather than wrap it and leave on a trailer. I will confess I've never shrink wrapped a boat though.

I have a lift and slip too that has curtain to protect it from the wind, rain, snow and sun, however I still keep a storage unit too keep it thru the winter. I winterize pull all cushions out of the boat and store them under the beds so the temp stays the same all winter on them. I then back the boat in pull all cushions that are mounted in the up position and leave it in the storage unit with no cover just to keep it aired out. So far it seems to work perfect. Our boat storage units run $550.00 here for 6 months, I would think shrink wrap would be close to this cost?

cruiser
11-01-2013, 09:56 AM
I have done it both ways., Build a frame and cover it with a tarp. Winds might blow the tarp loose. Shrink wrap and it is done for the winter. Drawback to shrink wrap, you cant get on the boat to do any winter repairs. With shrinkwrap it has a better chance of keeping the critters out. I guess what ever makes you feel comfortable.

88 PS190
11-02-2013, 02:59 PM
Depends if you can get it properly dried out before you cover it - I usually need to let it dry out.

scott023
11-02-2013, 04:00 PM
IMO you need to let it dry out.

soacj
11-02-2013, 05:20 PM
I resisted keeping mine in the boathouse (also at Lake Anna, BTW) at first due to fears of mildew with the boat sitting in close proximity to the water year 'round. However, I've kept it (actually the last two MC's) on the lift for 10 years or so now with no ill effects. I do fold the tower and lift it as far as possible, for what that's worth.

Dreamin' MC
11-05-2013, 07:24 AM
You may want to consider a portable garage/shelter. You can pick up a new one for btwn $600-$700 (12x24x8), and it will pay for itself after three years of not having to pay for shrink-wrapping ($10-$12/ft of boat). It also gives you the ability to work on the boat during off-season months. You can also search Craigslist for a used one.

gunjr
11-19-2013, 01:52 PM
I've done it both ways and shrink wrap is the way to go. Then there is no winter anxiety. No worry about the cover blowing off, pooling, critters, dirt, etc. Hang a couple of these in the boat if you shrink wrap it.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=1213542&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50667&subdeptNum=50668&classNum=50670#.UouzMsSko64

bigmac
11-19-2013, 02:32 PM
Makes sure your shinkwrap is vented. Otherwise it will be mold city come the spring.

In addition to vents in the cover, I'd recommend a couple of heater units in the boat interior to keep the interior above dew point. No condensation = no mold.

ttu
11-20-2013, 04:31 PM
not trying to hijack your thread. all good info.

this is my first year leaving my x2 on a hoist at my local marina. i winterized the boat and put the factory cover on along with this cover over the top. what concerns should i have?

thanks!

bigmac
11-20-2013, 05:36 PM
not trying to hijack your thread. all good info.

this is my first year leaving my x2 on a hoist at my local marina. i winterized the boat and put the factory cover on along with this cover over the top. what concerns should i have?

thanks!

Lack of ventilation under the cover --> mold all over your interior

ttu
11-20-2013, 05:41 PM
bigmac, i hope not. there are 4 damp rid's in the boat and the large cover has vents on both the front and the back towards the top of the tower.

VTJC
11-20-2013, 05:47 PM
In my area inside storage(typically barns) is about the same price as shrink wrap. For me the indoor storage is a no brainer. Wasting all that plastic each year to keep a boat dry is a waste. Plus parts of the hull and trailer are exposed to the weather and sun all winter long.