PDA

View Full Version : chrysler 250

mcfunnymoney
10-28-2013, 03:34 PM
Hello all! I recently purchased an 83 stars and stripes and am new to MasterCraft and the forum. I have wanted this boat forever and I am super happy with it so far. Unfortunately with winter coming I'm not sure how to winterize this Chrysler engine. I have had an inboard before with a 351 so I am familiar with winterization but this engine has me questioning myself. Anyone else out there have one of these? I have looked around the interweb and there really isn't much out there for the Chrysler engines. Thanks!

TRBenj
10-28-2013, 05:13 PM
Do you have a picture of the engine? A 250 should be a 340, but I cant imagine that still being an option in '83. Might have been a 360, but that would have been rated higher, I would think.

I have a Chrysler 273 in a '70 Correct Craft, so Ive been through the winterization process before. There is a block drain on each side, pull the hoses on the manifolds and any other low points and you should be protected from freeze damage, if thats your concern.

mcfunnymoney
10-28-2013, 07:17 PM
How do I post pics? Newbie....

mcfunnymoney
10-28-2013, 07:21 PM
lets see if that worked

Sawdust
10-28-2013, 08:15 PM
...another good place to get info on Chrysler Marine

http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/forumdisplay.php?17-Chrysler-Inboard-and-Sterndrive

Sawdust
10-28-2013, 08:29 PM
Here's some '83 chrysler specs

tph
10-28-2013, 10:36 PM
Is that an '83? It looks older. (Pylon with cross bar etc.)

EricB
10-28-2013, 10:50 PM
I also see an unfinished texture to the bilge by the PS trans. That is atypical of a wood stringer boat. That pylon is also typically pre-83. I'd check the HIN.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-28-2013, 11:02 PM
We need more pics of this boat. :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

mcfunnymoney
10-29-2013, 11:35 AM
Here she is. This is the way she was and is at purchase minus removing a hack job on some cheap speakers. The hull number is MBCE0419M821-PD. I'm curious as to her year now. Were these Chrysler 360's common?

mayo93prostar
10-29-2013, 12:10 PM
money, based on your HIN, that is an 82 which makes sense based on the pylon and other comments on this thread. it also appears to be the "Deluxe" version which has the dash pod, bigger back seat, and upholstered motor cover. I am curious what the -PD means at the end, maybe powerslot and Deluxe, but I am not sure. Someone else on here should know. I had a 82 with power slot which I thought was the deluxe because it had the upholstered motor cover and bigger rear seat, but the dash pod was different from yours. Nice boat. Nice interior work. FYI, if the motor cover upholstery gets worn out, I bet you there is a shiny brown stripe under it. There was on my old 82.

Sawdust
10-29-2013, 12:19 PM
So based on your hull number it's an '82

mcfunnymoney
10-29-2013, 02:20 PM
The previous owner said that it was the original interior. I am under the impression that the all fiberglass boats started in 83. What is the best way to check the stringers? Also is there a resource for new decals? The boat is pretty faded and I'm planning on buffing the whole thing with compound etc to shine her up. I have never done any decal work before. Do they come in the pattern or should I try to make some sort of makeshift template?

Miss Rita
10-29-2013, 02:52 PM
I'm no expert on early MasterCrafts, but the interior on that boat doesn't look OEM to me.

tph
10-29-2013, 04:46 PM
I'm no expert on early MasterCrafts, but the interior on that boat doesn't look OEM to me.

I believe this is the OEM interior for an '82 deluxe model;

EricB
10-29-2013, 05:30 PM
Boat is an 82. Based on the limited pics of the engine compartment, it is a wood stringer boat. Pull out a motor mount screw that fastens to the stringers. If it's a lag bolt, it's wood stringers.

Interior is not original. Decals are of the correct script. Replacement decals (stickers) are available on the web or (best source) is Bay Area Watersports (BAWS).

Frankly, this Chrysler 360 cu.in. is a first I've seen in a MC. I've seen 440's, but not 360's.

tim in wisc
10-29-2013, 05:31 PM
In regards to the engine, you should be able to confirm it's age (the block) by looking on the starboard side below the exhaust manifold. Marysville Marine Distributors- Marysville, Michigan
specializes in Chrysler marine engines so they should be able to help you properly identify your engine. I just sold a Chrysler Jet boat with a 340 ci chrysler engine. It had a Chrysler Marine tag on the carb stud. Marysville marine had a listing of those serial numbers and the year it was produced. Chrysler was getting out of the Marine business in the early 80's, and then they did make a later attempt again with the 360, but the market had moved on to other manufacturers.

tph
10-29-2013, 08:00 PM
Frankly, this Chrysler 360 cu.in. is a first I've seen in a MC. I've seen 440's, but not 360's.[/QUOTE]

This '82 price sheet doesn't list any Chrysler engine as an option. Probably fairly unique! (or a repower)

mcfunnymoney
10-30-2013, 11:24 AM
I'm hoping its unique haha. I will get some numbers off of the engine this weekend and get back on this weird combo

liledgy
10-30-2013, 08:49 PM
My first mc was an 82. That is not the original interior. My 82 had a wooden cover over the dashboard storage. When u opened it the mirror, then faced the skier. I also didn't have a drink holder. My passenger seat back did not hinge up to get to the bow, although I could slide things up there through the drivers side. My 83 (early 83 with wooden stringers)had a drink holder, similar mirror placement, hinged passenger seat back. My 82 rear seat had a thin (1" x3") board (upholstered) that propped the front of the cushion up, for a little bit of an angle. It had screws that u had to take out when removing the seat. My 83 came out in one piece.
I think you may have a late model 82, with some of the features that started to appear on the 83's. Check your passenger seat back to see if it flips up.

mcfunnymoney
10-31-2013, 10:35 AM
The passenger seatback does flip up. Also the rear seat just sits there and is easy to lift out. So I'm thinking your correct in it being a late 82. Bummer on the non original interior but oh well. The previous owner was a younger guy that didn't know much about the boat.

liledgy
10-31-2013, 08:53 PM
Ski king has an 82 also, he may chime in on the rear seat, drink holder, wooden flip up mirror and flip up passenger seat. The faux wooden dash pod was also exclusive to the 82' and 83' models.