PDA

View Full Version : Roadside winterization safe enough?

GKinTN
10-27-2013, 01:32 PM
I just purchased my first Mastercraft! A garage kept white/black/white 1991 Prostar 190 w/Ford 351 showing 663 hours.

The boat was in Iowa (I'm in Nashville, TN) and after the test drive/purchase I started my LONG drive back to Nashville. That said, it started to get colder than expected and I knew I was going to stay over night somewhere along the way. To feel safe I thought it was best to do some sort of roadside winterization...

I removed the two square fitting riser plugs, opened the two block petcocks, and opened the drain on the Silent Master muffler. After about a 100 miles of driving and draining I pulled the large water pump hose and a bit of water poured out from the engine water pump. I checked the impeller housing and it was drained out. I then closed back up all the drains, reattached the water pump hose, removed the thermostat, then poured in about 2 gallons of RV antifreeze into the block via the thermostat housing. I also pulled the water inlet hose on each riser and put in some antifreeze (maybe 1/4 gallon) until it would run back out and then I put the hoses and thermostat cover back on.

Will this be sufficient freeze protection in general? Here in Nashville we may see temps in the 20s, but single digits are rare but possible...

I'm not worried at this point about fuel conditioning or engine fogging, as I may run the boat again this season if we get a warm spell. Then I can do a more proper winterization.

Thanks!
GK

mikeg205
10-27-2013, 01:39 PM
that will work...

bigmac
10-27-2013, 03:23 PM
If you have heater, you'll want to blow that out, maybe pump in some RV antifreeze.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-27-2013, 03:37 PM
that will work...

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/images/smilies/iamwithstupid2.gif

mikeg205
10-27-2013, 03:51 PM

lol... hey now.. ;)

thatsmrmastercraft
10-27-2013, 03:55 PM
lol... hey now.. ;)

http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/signs/thumb_smiley-vault-signs-067.gif I must have selected the wrong smiley :rolleyes:

mikeg205
10-27-2013, 03:57 PM
http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/signs/thumb_smiley-vault-signs-067.gif I must have selected the wrong smiley :rolleyes:

freudian slip...lol

thatsmrmastercraft
10-27-2013, 04:07 PM
freudian slip...lol

TxsRiverRat
10-28-2013, 01:15 PM

lol... hey now.. ;)

freudian slip...lol

http://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gifhttp://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gifhttp://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gif

east tx skier
10-29-2013, 03:39 PM
It'll be fine. However, the indmar marinizations don't have a bypass on the t-stat. So I'm not sure how much of that a/f got into the block. Even so, for years, I didn't bother with antifreeze. I just drained everything and disconnected the raw water hoses at the low points, while being sure to turn it over for a second to kick the water out of the pump housing. You'll be fine as far as freezing is concerned.

roadster02
10-31-2013, 01:00 AM
Another 91 that was purchased in October! Mine was in Arizona and was brought to Colorado. Same weather setup, was snowing a little in Flagstaff, and was very cold overnight at the motel stop. I did the same kind of "roadside" service to mine without the antifreeze. Hopefully I will have no problems with this dry winterization. Enjoy your new toy, I will probably have to wait until spring to use mine.

Bert
10-31-2013, 01:12 AM
You have winterized. Been doing my 91 that way for the 23 years. Never had a problem.

GKinTN
11-01-2013, 12:07 PM
Another 91 that was purchased in October! Mine was in Arizona and was brought to Colorado. Same weather setup, was snowing a little in Flagstaff, and was very cold overnight at the motel stop. I did the same kind of "roadside" service to mine without the antifreeze. Hopefully I will have no problems with this dry winterization. Enjoy your new toy, I will probably have to wait until spring to use mine.

Ah, the famous Yellow "half off" regular price boat! Congrats there! When I was mid trip driving my boat back from Iowa to TN, I had a police officer stop by and wonder what I was doing with my boat all torn apart in a clothing store parking lot at 4am. He was nice and asked a few questions about the boat... That said, I'm with you and probably won't get my boat on the water until next spring. Still my storage facility doesn't have a space for me for about another month, so I'm taking the time to go over some stuff on the boat now. If I run the boat again I will pull some antifreeze into it via the water pickup, though it is good to know my system of doing it without running the boat is sufficient. A decade back I used to own another inboard boat for about 3 years that also had a 351w. On that boat I simply drained it all dry and called it done. Still on my newly acquired '91 PS190 I plan to always run some antifreeze as I've seen a couple winters more recently with a night or two down in the single digits.

GKinTN
11-01-2013, 12:07 PM
You have winterized. Been doing my 91 that way for the 23 years. Never had a problem.

Thanks!

roadster02
11-01-2013, 12:16 PM
Well, not really half off, but definetely a great price for what appears to be a brand new boat. You know the only thing about this dry method that kinda has me concerned is if it would be facilitating further rust inside the block or exhaust manifolds/risers by the exposure to air. I have thought about shooting some kind of lubricant into the all of the drain holes on these components, but not sure if that would do any good. I take some comfort in the statements from others that they have been doing it dry since they owned their boat. I just don't want to ruin my exhaust parts, they are apparently expensive to replace, and I want mine to still say mastercraft on them. Yeah, I'm gonna be a Mastercraft snob.:D

prostar205er
11-01-2013, 02:57 PM
If you have heater, you'll want to blow that out, maybe pump in some RV antifreeze.

How do you do that exactly? Which hose would you use to blow it out? Any details would be helpful.

blackhawk
11-01-2013, 03:23 PM
prostar205er - I have the 350 MCX engine, so yours could be different. The heater hoses on mine are on the port side of the engine. One is connected to the intake manifold and the other connects right below the thermostat housing. You should be able to trace these hoses back from where they go under the floor of the boat. Both hoses on mine are the same size and ran from under the floor and then under the block to the port side.

Just take off both hoses and put the end of the bottom one in the bilge. Then just blow through the top one. I just used my mouth (no jokes here8p). It doesn't take much force to blow out all the water. You will see the water run out the bottom hose. Once I do that, I just hold up the top hose and pour in antifreeze with a funnel. Just keep pouring until the AF comes out the bottom hose. You're done winterizing the heater.

prostar205er
11-04-2013, 05:49 PM
prostar205er - I have the 350 MCX engine, so yours could be different. The heater hoses on mine are on the port side of the engine. One is connected to the intake manifold and the other connects right below the thermostat housing. You should be able to trace these hoses back from where they go under the floor of the boat. Both hoses on mine are the same size and ran from under the floor and then under the block to the port side.

Just take off both hoses and put the end of the bottom one in the bilge. Then just blow through the top one. I just used my mouth (no jokes here8p). It doesn't take much force to blow out all the water. You will see the water run out the bottom hose. Once I do that, I just hold up the top hose and pour in antifreeze with a funnel. Just keep pouring until the AF comes out the bottom hose. You're done winterizing the heater.

Simple enough. Thanks! Just curious...is water always running through the heater or only when it is turned on?

blackhawk
11-04-2013, 07:44 PM
On my engine the water is always flowing through the heater. All the switch is doing is just turning on the electric fan to blow over the coils.

My engine actually has a valve on the intake where you can shut off the water flow manually.

prostar205er
11-06-2013, 03:26 PM
Does anyone happen to have a shower on their boat? I blow out the hoses but am not able to blow out the hose to the water pump. Should I run it to fill with antifreeze or would that hurt it at all? Or is there some alternative solution (short of taking the hoses off the pump...it's hard to reach and is tucked in by the battery, so I hate to have water spraying there).

prostar205er
11-07-2013, 03:02 PM
bump...

Kyle
11-08-2013, 02:42 AM
The only reason to winterize is so the water does not expand and break anything. In a freeze the shower and heater will break first.

Remove the exhaust drains and engine drains that you have already done. Leave unhooked.

Remove the heater and showe lines and let them stay in the bilge.

No need for antifreeze.

If anything freezes and there is a slight bit if water, it now has a place to expand.

I have never used AF in my engine. Just drain them and leave the plugs out. I no longer have a shower or heater, but when I did they were removed from the engine and let the hoses lay in the bilge.

You're just fine, just make sure heater and shower hoses are not connected to the engine.

To properly install antifreeze the engine will need to be at operating temp and then run AF until you see it coming out of the exhaust.

prostar205er
11-08-2013, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the help Kyle!